Not open for further replies.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Just call it the Israel Folau bill. And Australia’s biggest sporting bodies aren’t happy about it

https://www.foxsports.com.au/more-s...gVyvbULt-cRreYxdYQxKvHOHAxxuN6OqHcDSK5wrXPkSE

Some of the biggest sporting bodies in Australia have let their opposition be known at the federal government’s proposed religious freedom bill, arguing it will make it harder to discipline players who make discriminatory comments that threaten lucrative sponsorship deals.

Under the legislation, it would be illegal for sporting bodies that bring in more than $50 million of revenue per year to stifle or stop religious expression in players’ appearance, behaviour or dress.

The Coalition of Major Professional & Participation Sports (COMPPS) — which includes the AFL, NRL, FFA and Cricket Australia, as well as Tennis Australia, Rugby Australia and Netball Australia — filed a submission arguing that it would impose onerous demands on them.

The proposed bill comes after Rugby Australia settled out of court with sacked Wallaby Israel Folau over his unlawful dismissal suit, for a sum believed to be in the vicinity of $3.1 million.

The bill does allow for sporting bodies to restrict such discriminatory expression from an athlete if they can prove it did so to “avoid unjustifiable financial hardship on the business”.

However, they argue that is too vague and nebulous, saying the draft of the bill “provides no guidance (or definition) as to the level of financial hardship that might be ‘unjustifiable’”.

“Sponsors seeking to engage with COMPPS members will seek to align themselves with organisations with similar values and beliefs,” the submission reads, one of 7000 filed to the proposed legislation.

“It is essential that COMPPS members, who rely on revenue from sponsors to grow and promote their sports for all Australians, can establish codes of conduct which allow them to protect the reputation and value of their brand and the brands associated with them.

“Damage could include but is not limited to: failure to attract new sponsors, damage to reputation, media distraction, reduced rates of participation, reduced interest in sport and loss of confidence in the brand.

“COMPPS subscribes to the right of all employees to demonstrate their religion via dress, appearance or behaviour however while this right is important, there may be instances in major competitive sporting organisations where it is desirable for the sport to limit or exert control over certain types of dress, appearance or behaviours.”

The bill states that a “statement of belief” from an athlete cannot be considered discrimination.

But COMPPS believes that will prove problematic.

“Particularly within the sporting context where passionate statements of belief, whether of a religious belief held by a person or made by a person who does not hold a religious belief, frequently form the basis for public commentary,” the submission reads.

“We are concerned that the breadth of the definition of ‘statement of belief’ and the absence of a clear test within the bill to assess such beliefs could lead to the protections in the bill being used in bad faith to justify statements which are otherwise discriminatory or against the values or beliefs espoused by COMPPS members,” it continues.

And the failure to mention the impact of social media in the bill is also troubling, COMPPS argues.

“COMPPS members must have the ability to sensibly regulate the public speech of its employees to promote inclusiveness and protect against the real risk of disrespectful online behaviour.

“The bill essentially gives the person who makes statements of belief a privileged position over other rights, which does not accord with global human rights doctrines or the underlying intentions of sport to promote respectful relationships.”

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Oh this is going to be JUICY. I am LOVING this. ScoMo for PM. Oh... wait a minute... HE ALREADY IS :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

My friends, Good ALWAYS conquers evil. ALWAYS!

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Oh this is going to be JUICY. I am LOVING this. ScoMo for PM. Oh... wait a minute... HE ALREADY IS :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

you sound fun

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
The laws would also likely allow a league to not sign someone like Falou in the first place due to conflicting beliefs.

So many religious people don't really get how shit this proposed bill is.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Yeah I’m gay. I’m gonna chase you around you lil fat old man. Fear me
So you're hot for fat old men? Sorry, I've got bad news for you...

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
So you're hot for fat old men? Sorry, I've got bad news for you...
I got bad news for you.... you won’t be able to creep on me like a freak.... and then write about it on the internet...

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

The religious freedom bill seems to be one that is aimed at allowing others to discriminate against ways of life that they disagree with. If you think that's a good thing I pity you.

Wahesh

Reaction score
The religious freedom bill seems to be one that is aimed at allowing others to discriminate against ways of life that they disagree with. If you think that's a good thing I pity you.
From the perspective of practicing Christians who have had to put up with endless amounts of $%&! from the LGBTSDETYHDGDKXYZ community ever since SSM was introduced, it's a good thing.

You should know that most practicing Christians put their faith ahead of anything else in life, and our belief is our knowledge that Canon Law is a priority for us.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
If only it were that simple.

The counter view is the religious freedom bill prevents people of a different faith or those without faith discriminating against ways of life that they disagree with.

The fact is discrimination is not a one way street, as some would have us believe.

Go Dogs

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
From the perspective of practicing Christians who have had to put up with endless amounts of $%&! from the LGBTSDETYHDGDKXYZ community ever since SSM was introduced, it's a good thing.

You should know that most practicing Christians put their faith ahead of anything else in life, and our belief is our knowledge that Canon Law is a priority for us.
How exactly are they giving endless amounts of $%&!? From someone that hasn't ever been able to get past the fact that religious people are far more likely to be judgemental, I see these laws as a way of ensuring you can push an opinion without the fear of prosecution if it's based on religion. I don't see the LGBT community door knocking to recruit people to their way of living. There are many LGBT people who are actively religious. One of the tenets of religion is that only God is supposed to judge isn't it?

If only it were that simple.

The counter view is the religious freedom bill prevents people of a different faith or those without faith discriminating against ways of life that they disagree with.

The fact is discrimination is not a one way street, as some would have us believe.

Go Dogs
The fact is that laws are already in place to prevent discrimination. These religious freedom laws seem custom made to circumvent the laws already in place. I've never heard of hate crimes being performed based on the fact that someone goes to church. I've not heard of any suicides being blamed on bullying people based on their decision to believe in God.

And discrimination isn't a one way street. But these laws seem like they're an attempt to make it easier to put the one way signs up.

Wahesh

Reaction score
How exactly are they giving endless amounts of $%&!? From someone that hasn't ever been able to get past the fact that religious people are far more likely to be judgemental, I see these laws as a way of ensuring you can push an opinion without the fear of prosecution if it's based on religion. I don't see the LGBT community door knocking to recruit people to their way of living. There are many LGBT people who are actively religious. One of the tenets of religion is that only God is supposed to judge isn't it?
I'll give you an example.

Prior to the SSM vote, a gay bloke wanted a cake for his wedding. Now as gay marriage wasn't legal at the time, he couldn't get married, so therefore, he couldn't' get a cake. He was even asking a devout Catholic baker about a wedding cake knowing full well that she didn't (and refused) to make one. When the results of the vote came through, the first thing he did was contact her about his wedding cake.

This bill is to protect people like her from people like him!

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I'll give you an example.

Prior to the SSM vote, a gay bloke wanted a cake for his wedding. Now as gay marriage wasn't legal at the time, he couldn't get married, so therefore, he couldn't' get a cake. He was even asking a devout Catholic baker about a wedding cake knowing full well that she didn't (and refused) to make one. When the results of the vote came through, the first thing he did was contact her about his wedding cake.

This bill is to protect people like her from people like him!
Protect her from having to bake a cake?

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Love how they make out like his post
Was singled out at just gays? What about the other 9 things? Who else is offended ? The drinkers ? The liars ? Seriously lgbti community is weak as piss , if you don’t support them your a bigot ?
There’s places In the world where gays are chucked off buildings and stoned in public , but they make out like the nrl is full
Of saints .. Folau is out spoken yeah but how the fuck can you deny him
Whilst letting known people charged witb assault , drugs and even terrorising family play in the nrl?

fuck I love the doggies but basket case nrl never ceases to amaze me, throw in the favourable clubs and bias and it’s a recipe for failure. Have we not learnt anything from wokeby? I mean rugby

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.