The things that 'grind your gears' thread...

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Alcohol glorification and abuse. I'm sure some of you heard about the four children who were killed by a drunk driver near Parramatta on the weekend - There is a problem in Australia and it needs to be put into the spotlight.. these kinds of tragedies are all too common..
God Bless the children and accept them into his heavenly kingdom.

I'm really praying for their parents and grandparents, they would be the ones doing it toughest right now. What really annoyed me though was when their mother was there yesterday praying the Rosary, there were people there taking photos of her. For goodness sake, I can understand the media taking photos of the scene, but when people take a photo of their mother who is upset, that's really disrespectful.

I've prayed for them, I will continue to pray for them, and I hope that others do as well.

Last edited:

rainman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Probably serve 3-4... absolute joke of a system.... so many lives ruined because of one assholes selfish actions
yes, his lawyer will argue that he was fucked up the arse by his abusive half brother and together with his autism and schizophrenia should get a reduced sentence

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Probably serve 3-4... absolute joke of a system.... so many lives ruined because of one assholes selfish actions
There’s calls to reduce the blood alcohol limit to zero but I’m not sure how that will combat selfish people who disregard others safety for their own convenience.

With all the technology we have surely we can make cars unable to start based on ability to detect excessive amounts of alcohol or drugs in a drivers system? That’s where I’d be putting the money.

Sincere commiserations to the families - 100% avoidable tragedy.

Wahesh

Reaction score
There’s calls to reduce the blood alcohol limit to zero but I’m not sure how that will combat selfish people who disregard others safety for their own convenience.

With all the technology we have surely we can make cars unable to start based on ability to detect excessive amounts of alcohol or drugs in a drivers system? That’s where I’d be putting the money.

I reckon the self-driving car system is the answer, but who knows how many years off we are before something like that is reliable and compulsory.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I reckon the self-driving car system is the answer, but who knows how many years off we are before something like that is reliable and compulsory.
Yeah good point. A while off yet.
We simply can’t rely 100% on people making the right decisions though. I never contemplate taking the car when I’m having a drink whether it’s one or more. There is no excuse.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Yeah good point. A while off yet.
We simply can’t rely 100% on people making the right decisions though. I never contemplate taking the car when I’m having a drink whether it’s one or more. There is no excuse.
If I'm going to a party or wedding or something, I'll always have a few appetisers first, then have 1 maximum 2 drinks diluted with coke (Scotch) then have a good 3 hours alcohol free so I can drive - do it the responsible way. I remember though when I had my 21st, I was very plastered. I made sure the next day I didn't go anywhere near a drivers seat.

Last edited:

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
If I'm going to a party of wedding or something, I'll always have a few appetisers first, then have 1 maximum 2 drinks diluted with coke (Scotch) then have a good 3 hours alcohol free so I can drive - do it the responsible way. I remember though when I had my 21st, I was very plastered. I made sure the next day I didn't go anywhere near a drivers seat.
That is often where people get stung DUI - the next day. They think that after having several drinks and a few hours sleep they’re good to go - often not the case. I have mates who work with the Police and they’ve said Saturday and Sunday mornings are ripe for DUI pings.

Wahesh

Reaction score
That is often where people get stung DUI - the next day. They think that after having several drinks and a few hours sleep they’re good to go - often not the case. I have mates who work with the Police and they’ve said Saturday and Sunday mornings are ripe for DUI pings.
Yeah true. This was actually Sunday night though, so closer to 24 hours later. I felt in my system that I still wasn't back to 0.0% so didn't go near that car. My head was in the space somewhere that was pre-tipsy.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah true. This was actually Sunday night though, so closer to 24 hours later. I felt in my system that I still wasn't back to 0.0% so didn't go near that car. My head was in the space somewhere that was pre-tipsy.
You made the right call. If only everyone did we could avoid the likes of what we saw on Saturday night.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score

I mean it's something.. Even if it can stop a few people, great.. but I'd like to see more done in regards to people being allowed to get that drunk in the first place.. I know it's not something that could ever be contained completely, but I also know how easy it is to drink as much as you like at most pubs without being refused service unless you stumble over or pass out in front of staff or some shit

I like your thinking.. That'd be a good idea... it would have to somehow detect only the driver though, in the case of designated drivers and such.. I am sure there would be no shortage of ideas if the Government made it a priority.. Here's hoping we see big changes real soon

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
God Bless the children and accept them into his heavenly kingdom.

I'm really praying for their parents and grandparents, they would be the ones doing it toughest right now. What really annoyed me though was when their mother was there yesterday praying the Rosary, there were people there taking photos of her. For goodness sake, I can understand the media taking photos of the scene, but when people take a photo of their mother who is upset, that's really disrespectful.

I've prayed for them, I will continue to pray for them, and I that others do as well.

Yeah that's awful man.. it takes a real soulless person to be able to do that sorta thing.. disgusting industry

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I mean it's something.. Even if it can stop a few people, great.. but I'd like to see more done in regards to people being allowed to get that drunk in the first place.. I know it's not something that could ever be contained completely, but I also know how easy it is to drink as much as you like at most pubs without being refused service unless you stumble over or pass out in front of staff or some shit

I like your thinking.. That'd be a good idea... it would have to somehow detect only the driver though, in the case of designated drivers and such.. I am sure there would be no shortage of ideas if the Government made it a priority.. Here's hoping we see big changes real soon
Another issue with 0% PCA would be increase in police doing paperwork etc - for people who got pinged after 1 glass of wine with dinner. Not the best use of resources if we can stop people from driving at all when they shouldn't be.
The RSA laws are hit and miss. It's really only those venues with a bad rep for fighting etc that enforce them because their licence is at risk. Pretty much any bar you can be hammered and still get served provided you can pronounce the drink correctly.
I reckon tech could solve it. The Police have kit for testing drivers only so why can't such measurements be installed in cars - the driver has to pass the test before the car unlocks itself to start the engine. Doesn't seem too much of a stretch?

Wahesh

Reaction score
Yeah that's awful man.. it takes a real soulless person to be able to do that sorta thing.. disgusting industry
Yeah I know man. There are people who do it just for likes on social media even when it's their own family involved. I remember one
Another issue with 0% PCA would be increase in police doing paperwork etc - for people who got pinged after 1 glass of wine with dinner. Not the best use of resources if we can stop people from driving at all when they shouldn't be.
The RSA laws are hit and miss. It's really only those venues with a bad rep for fighting etc that enforce them because their licence is at risk. Pretty much any bar you can be hammered and still get served provided you can pronounce the drink correctly.
I reckon tech could solve it. The Police have kit for testing drivers only so why can't such measurements be installed in cars - the driver has to pass the test before the car unlocks itself to start the engine. Doesn't seem too much of a stretch?
Yep - that's something else. I just think there would be loopholes around that like another person doing it or something... but maximising technology is the only way these stupid things can't happen.

Imagine self-driving cars. There would be fewer accidents, better traffic flow, and less fines (ie less revenue for state governments).

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score

They exist. For the last few years courts have done this for drink drivers. They get a Breathalyzer attached to the ignition that doesn't allow the car to start until you blow into it. It also beeps every 10-15 minutes and if you don't blow into it again at that time the engine will cut out.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
They exist. For the last few years courts have done this for drink drivers. They get a Breathalyzer attached to the ignition that doesn't allow the car to start until you blow into it. It also beeps every 10-15 minutes and if you don't blow into it again at that time the engine will cut out.
Yeah, I knew there was some type of immobiliser. Part of the problem is the 15min window though - plenty of time for carnage if you know how it works - so that window needs to close.
I guess my question is more about how that can be made affordable, easy to install and mandated for all manufacturers. I'd imagine the politics and the cost would be more difficult than the tech to solve.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I had a boss years ago who had one of these. He was a pisshead, who drove a 3 tonne landcruiser. lucky he never killed anyone TBH.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah I just think it's focusing on the wrong area... It's not going to deter people who are blind drunk because in that situation, nobody gives a fuck (clearly).. but also alcohol related crimes are far from limited to driving, so the focus needs to be on people getting into that state, and how common and accepted it is for people to do it regularly.. shit I couldn't even count the amount of times I was blacked out at a pub over a decade or so when I was drinking lots.. something I am not proud of obviously.. or even just being ridiculously blind but having no trouble continuing to drink..

tech could definitely reduce the amount of incidents on the road created by drunk drivers.. only issue there is, does that mean you have to do said test every time goes to drive, even when not drinking, and people who don't even drink have to do the test..

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah I know man. There are people who do it just for likes on social media even when it's their own family involved. I remember one

Yep - that's something else. I just think there would be loopholes around that like another person doing it or something... but maximising technology is the only way these stupid things can't happen.

Imagine self-driving cars. There would be fewer accidents, better traffic flow, and less fines (ie less revenue for state governments).

bro I see people posting selfies before and after funeral services and stuff like that... fuck is wrong with people

Wahesh

Reaction score
Yeah I just think it's focusing on the wrong area... It's not going to deter people who are blind drunk because in that situation, nobody gives a fuck (clearly).. but also alcohol related crimes are far from limited to driving, so the focus needs to be on people getting into that state, and how common and accepted it is for people to do it regularly.. shit I couldn't even count the amount of times I was blacked out at a pub over a decade or so when I was drinking lots.. something I am not proud of obviously.. or even just being ridiculously blind but having no trouble continuing to drink..

tech could definitely reduce the amount of incidents on the road created by drunk drivers.. only issue there is, does that mean you have to do said test every time goes to drive, even when not drinking, and people who don't even drink have to do the test..
I'm not convinced that the tests are the answer, rather self driving cars. The cars will drive themselves and comply with local traffic laws.