Roosters among the lowest in TPAs

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Net just aren’t stupid to believe that TPA’s are the only difference between clubs mate
Oh I'm sure there are many conspiracies the Net can detail and get wide agreement on without one shred of proof, it's what the net does best.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Does anyone know what this means ?

"Although Cooper Cronk and James Tedesco benefited from whole of game sponsorship, which wasn’t included".

I looked it up and it seems a company can sponsor a particular player for around 22.5K a year. Is this correct ? How much does the player get of that ?
Whole of game sponsorship, is basically becoming a spokesperson for the NRLs sponsors.
The NRL pays players for that, but it is exempt from the cap and TPAs.
What I’d like to know is how a player gets one of these deals ?
I imagine it goes like this;
Politis- “if you come to the roosters, we can guarantee, whole game sponsorship”
Player- “ok”

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Oh I'm sure there are many conspiracies the Net can detail and get wide agreement on without one shred of proof, it's what the net does best.
Very true but surely there must’ve been times when you’ve wondered how you could possibly assemble a squad like that when all clubs have the same salary cap

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Classic net thread this.

The Net - "Tell us what their TPA'S are then we all know they're cheating the cap"
NRL - "Hear are all the TPA's clubs pay per year"
The Net - "We don't believe those because they don't fit our narrative".

LMFAO
Your on your own with this one.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very true but surely there must’ve been times when you’ve wondered how you could possibly assemble a squad like that when all clubs have the same salary cap
I don't have to wonder when I've seen us make terrible decisions over many decades. We have assembled some of the most over paid, over rated, over hyped teams throughout the years I've been following them, but we've learnt our lessons and now employ some of the best decision makers in the game. When Packer famously said "I'll just buy a premiership" he was wrong, you can't. You can spend your cap the very best you can but you have to rely on other factors to win a comp. Injuries are suspensions are critical and buying the best does not protect them from either.

But if you're just talking value of players, then again there are other factors players take into consideration when deciding to take offers from clubs. We can offer a player accommodation 5 mins from Bondi beach where as the Raiders can offer a player accommodation 20mins from Kambah Pool, which is nothing more than a stretch of the Murrumbidgee river.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't have to wonder when I've seen us make terrible decisions over many decades. We have assembled some of the most over paid, over rated, over hyped teams throughout the years I've been following them, but we've learnt our lessons and now employ some of the best decision makers in the game. When Packer famously said "I'll just buy a premiership" he was wrong, you can't. You can spend your cap the very best you can but you have to rely on other factors to win a comp. Injuries are suspensions are critical and buying the best does not protect them from either.

But if you're just talking value of players, then again there are other factors players take into consideration when deciding to take offers from clubs. We can offer a player accommodation 5 mins from Bondi beach where as the Raiders can offer a player accommodation 20mins from Kambah Pool, which is nothing more than a stretch of the Murrumbidgee river.

you might not be able to literally buy a premiership (unless you're Souths) but you can just about seal it, when your team on paper make even the Storm look average.. the only difference now compared to years ago is that there aren't as many marquee players getting around, so it makes it that much more obvious

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score

You are definitely right there.
I don’t care what locals say, driving to Belmore every day and spending most of the day there just doesn’t compare to Bondi or even Cronulla. It would have to be a consideration for players as it would be for normal people.

I think for the sake of the roosters AND all clubs the NRL need to be clearer on what the actual salary cap rules are.
For example, they wouldn’t register certain players at other clubs on deals lower than their “market value” but what are the rules on that?

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
you might not be able to literally buy a premiership (unless you're Souths) but you can just about seal it, when your team on paper make even the Storm look average.. the only difference now compared to years ago is that there aren't as many marquee players getting around, so it makes it that much more obvious
I disagree (becoming a habit between you and me lol) as each club goes through what they classify as their "window" for a premiership. An example of that is you guys. I was watching an old game the other day from 2006, a final between you and the Broncos and your forward pack at that time contained the following players: Willie Mason, Roy Asotasi, SBW, Mark O'Meley, Nate Miles and Andrew Ryan. That's quite a few marquee players in that pack but it wasn't enough for you to win. And that's my point, having the best players does not guarantee success.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I disagree (becoming a habit between you and me lol) as each club goes through what they classify as their "window" for a premiership. An example of that is you guys. I was watching an old game the other day from 2006, a final between you and the Broncos and your forward pack at that time contained the following players: Willie Mason, Roy Asotasi, SBW, Mark O'Meley, Nate Miles and Andrew Ryan. That's quite a few marquee players in that pack but it wasn't enough for you to win. And that's my point, having the best players does not guarantee success.

and how do you think that team was put together? lol.. you're just proving the point.... and despite only one year of success, there would have been more had they not have been found out.... sounds like another team I know of

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are definitely right there.
I don’t care what locals say, driving to Belmore every day and spending most of the day there just doesn’t compare to Bondi or even Cronulla. It would have to be a consideration for players as it would be for normal people.

I think for the sake of the roosters AND all clubs the NRL need to be clearer on what the actual salary cap rules are.
For example, they wouldn’t register certain players at other clubs on deals lower than their “market value” but what are the rules on that?
100% agree that transparency is the key. I'd even go so far as to include the players taxable income from his NRL involvement (private sponsorships, TPA's etc,) and that way everyone would know exactly what they are being paid by their club and the extras. But you will never get agreement from the players for that as it's a foray into their private lives.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
and how do you think that team was put together? lol.. you're just proving the point.... and despite only one year of success, there would have been more had they not have been found out.... sounds like another team I know of
Hang on your re-writing history here. That team was assembled in 2002 and was still playing together in 2006 and according to the NRL was legal at that time. So you had your marquee players and your premiership window but you failed in all but one year. So what factors outside of having the best players resulted in only one comp?

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hang on your re-writing history here. That team was assembled in 2002 and was still playing together in 2006 and according to the NRL was legal at that time. So you had your marquee players and your premiership window but you failed in all but one year. So what factors outside of having the best players resulted in only one comp?
Not re-writing anything.. that team may have never been formed in the first place without the cap rorting.. the difference is, there were far more marquee players back then, and far more teams clearly doing the dodgy... a stronger competition in general.. and that's the point I was making about Roosters sticking out like a sore thumb now, when there are far less marquee players in the game, and one team on paper makes even some of the better teams look average..

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
100% agree that transparency is the key. I'd even go so far as to include the players taxable income from his NRL involvement (private sponsorships, TPA's etc,) and that way everyone would know exactly what they are being paid by their club and the extras. But you will never get agreement from the players for that as it's a foray into their private lives.
I’ve said that recently too.
If the NRL want to be a professional sporting organisation they need to do that but but Australia is too soft and pussy foot around things

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not re-writing anything.. that team may have never been formed in the first place without the cap rorting.. the difference is, there were far more marquee players back then, and far more teams clearly doing the dodgy... a stronger competition in general.. and that's the point I was making about Roosters sticking out like a sore thumb now, when there are far less marquee players in the game, and one team on paper makes even some of the better teams look average..
Ok but would you agree that your club made them marquee players in their time at your club in the same way we have made many of our current players marquee status? I'm not talking Cronk, Keary and Tedesco, but I would argue that we've made Teddy and Keary better than they were at their previous clubs. Players like JWH, SST, Toops, LM, Friend, Cords, Maubs, Manu and Issac Liu all now elite players, but we made them that, why shouldn't we gain an advantage?

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok but would you agree that your club made them marquee players in their time at your club in the same way we have made many of our current players marquee status? I'm not talking Cronk, Keary and Tedesco, but I would argue that we've made Teddy and Keary better than they were at their previous clubs. Players like JWH, SST, Toops, LM, Friend, Cords, Maubs, Manu and Issac Liu all now elite players, but we made them that, why shouldn't we gain an advantage?

Most of them yeah... and the Roosters have made some players good... why shouldn't you gain an advantage? because we all know that they haven't done it fairly.... that's why! we paid the price, as did Storm, and other teams... now we wait for Easts to pay theirs

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most of them yeah... and the Roosters have made some players good... why shouldn't you gain an advantage? because we all know that they haven't done it fairly.... that's why! we paid the price, as did Storm, and other teams... now we wait for Easts to pay theirs
No you don't know that we haven't done it fairly because there is nothing to prove we haven't. We've had success and it's only your perception of that success that deems it must have been done illegally.

We paid our price before you or the Storm paid theirs, decades of poor recruitment and complete lack of success from the 80's through to the 00's paved the way for how we do business today. We didn't need to get caught cheating to change our ways.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
No you don't know that we haven't done it fairly because there is nothing to prove we haven't. We've had success and it's only your perception of that success that deems it must have been done illegally.

We paid our price before you or the Storm paid theirs, decades of poor recruitment and complete lack of success from the 80's through to the 00's paved the way for how we do business today. We didn't need to get caught cheating to change our ways.
Lol come on man.. look at the squad and look at what they claim on tpa's.. Roosters sign representative players as depth ffs

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lol come on man.. look at the squad and look at what they claim on tpa's.. Roosters sign representative players as depth ffs
Look at what we did with LM. If what you say is true, why would we let him go?

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Look at what we did with LM. If what you say is true, why would we let him go?

Well none of us truely know what's going on behind the scene... so I can't answer that... clearly there has been a fallout or something of the sort

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well none of us truely know what's going on behind the scene... so I can't answer that... clearly there has been a fallout or something of the sort
And it illustrates my point that there are other factors other than money that make the signing of a player a success or a priority.

You can't argue that we haven't made the right decision with regards to LM. Yet that decision flies in the face of all the narrative around the Roosters and their sombrero and unlimited cap and secret TPA's and signing rep players as depth etc. I know I'm beating my head against the wall here, but I will defend my club while ever it's not doing the wrong thing as I'm sure you would in the same situation.