Pre-season training

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Fitness isn't purely physical. A lot of people went off at the team for poor fitness in the first two rounds of 2019 when we get smacked. Round 3 was a good victory over Wests, round 4 was the game we coulda/shoulda won over the Storm, the one that Stimson is talking about.

The team wasn't mentally fit at the start of the season, and it showed in the tired legs and deficit of extra efforts. After a good win in round 3 fitness was remarkably improved for round 4. That is more mental than physical.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The club put up a interview with Joe Stimson after his fist few days and it was a concern that he said the fitness drills was so different to Melbourne. I'm not saying we should be copying the Storm exactly but our previous pre-season's under Pay have involved lots of long distance running and lots of clubs stopped training this way years ago. Our fitness has been a problem at the season since Pay arrived but it doesn't look like anything has changed unfortunately.

https://www.bulldogs.com.au/news/2019/11/20/stimson-checks-in-at-belmore/
Surely if we lacked physical fitness we'd be fading at the end of seasons insteads of getting stronger. Our defence and effort, which is where poor fitness usually shows, is OK too. I think the issue with our start's is more a mental one. Either way, it comes down to our off-season preparation and the way the coach manages that.

Less talk from players about "what a great off-season we've had", would be a good start. It started to be cringeworthy last year and putting that sort of pressure on themselves before they'd achieved anything was silly. Having a couple of decent trials should help get their heads ready too.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Surely if we lacked physical fitness we'd be fading at the end of seasons insteads of getting stronger. Our defence and effort, which is where poor fitness usually shows, is OK too. I think the issue with our start's is more a mental one. Either way, it comes down to our off-season preparation and the way the coach manages that.

Less talk from players about "what a great off-season we've had", would be a good start. It started to be cringeworthy last year and putting that sort of pressure on themselves before they'd achieved anything was silly. Having a couple of decent trials should help get their heads ready too.
Agree muzzle them

Too much talk pre season like Lewis and his ‘pay wants us to play eyes up footy’

‘We will surprise teams’

Blah blah and produce jack shit until our season was over then win games that didn’t matter

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Fitness isn't purely physical. A lot of people went off at the team for poor fitness in the first two rounds of 2019 when we get smacked. Round 3 was a good victory over Wests, round 4 was the game we coulda/shoulda won over the Storm, the one that Stimson is talking about.

The team wasn't mentally fit at the start of the season, and it showed in the tired legs and deficit of extra efforts. After a good win in round 3 fitness was remarkably improved for round 4. That is more mental than physical.
I agree 100% and with a young, experienced squad I’m not surprised

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

I see it differently as in we get the natural match fitness from playing games so that’s why we had a string end to the season as we were finally fit. Either way I do agree with the mental side of things hopefully the whole squad turned a page at the end of last season. One thing is for sure we cannot afford a slow start so hopefully we fire early.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
As long as I don't hear the phrase "training the house down".

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only minor. But kinda pissed me off when asked about the storm he referred to them as we and us.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
The club put up a interview with Joe Stimson after his first few days and it is a concern that he said the fitness drills are so different to Melbourne. I'm not saying we should be copying the Storm exactly but our previous pre-season's under Pay have involved lots of long distance running and lots of clubs stopped training this way years ago. Our fitness has been a problem at the season since Pay arrived but it doesn't look like anything has changed unfortunately.

https://www.bulldogs.com.au/news/2019/11/20/stimson-checks-in-at-belmore/
100% that interview left me perplexed. Gotta work those fast twitch muscle fibres for explosive movement in an explosive game... Obviously this can be done in the gym. But yeah long distance running will only get you so far.
As for the scripted comments about playing with Tolman and Eliiot haha please he came here because of money and a better / guaranteed chance of starting

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Pretty sure we only had 1 trial in 2019, right?
At least we've got 2 locked in for 2020 - Sharks and Raiders at the back end of February.
Funny that we would only have one years prior now we are having 2 and one of them is overseas lol. Hopefully it works out well for us

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Do you mean feeding our players KFC and Maccas and getting them to do a few star jumps afterwards isn't a suitable training regimen? Who knew?

The lack of fitness amongst the squad has been a huge issue for years, even dating back to Hasler.. It's frightening that things haven't improved at all since then.

If we look as off the pace to start next season as we did the previous two under Pay then hopefully the club will finally act and realise that it's just not good enough.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Do you mean feeding our players KFC and Maccas and getting them to do a few star jumps afterwards isn't a suitable training regimen? Who knew?

The lack of fitness amongst the squad has been a huge issue for years, even dating back to Hasler.. It's frightening that things haven't improved at all since then.

If we look as off the pace to start next season as we did the previous two under Pay then hopefully the club will finally act and realise that it's just not good enough.
Read psycho doggies post mate

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Read psycho doggies post mate
I agree that mental fortitude, or a lack of, play a huge part in fatigue.

But there can be no doubting that compared to other clubs in terms of body shape, speed, athleticism, stamina, explosiveness and even basic skills that this club have been one of the worst in those areas for many years now. Which needs to change.

We can't compete with 15 other clubs with outdated methods and tactics and a lack of attention to detail and expect to suceed...

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
2nd half of year...they drew the line in the sand and decided that they will base there whole game on defence.
So finally and collectively as a group had a common goal, defence first the rest will follow.
At the beginning we tried to be too flashy, chopped and changed the team weekly ..just no cohesion and familiarity of each other's game.

youoboys

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Bulldogs fan here:
Farking hell... calm down. He mentioned more running . Dogs are going back to old days of being fittest. Next is dogs of war defence and closer to season starts work on skills. There building to something special .... get amongst it...... cheeerleaders get ya tittays out yew

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Bulldogs fan here:
Farking hell... calm down. He mentioned more running . Dogs are going back to old days of being fittest. Next is dogs of war defence and closer to season starts work on skills. There building to something special .... get amongst it...... cheeerleaders get ya tittays out yew
We had the dogs of war defence in the back end of last season. If we have that from the start of next season that'd be great. We're still lacking in creating and scoring points tho. It isn't feasible to win every arm wrestle. We could do so well for 30 minutes and then we make one error or penalty and we're behind (that's the hardest to recover from too). Still need that someone (and a few of them) to create something out of nothing. I think it's more a personnel problem with our backs then just needing to work on skills. Last season showed for me at least that we have a very good base to work with. Just need to bring in what we're missing.