News Bulldogs face dilemma as club can’t afford Koroisau, Ramien and Ese’ese

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Canterbury find themselves in a dilemma as they look to strengthen their squad.

Dean Pay’s side currently sit 15th on the ladder and will hope to move out of the doldrums and back into finals contention in 2020.

Api Koroisau, Jesse Ramien and Herman Ese’ese are the three men the Dogs have earmarked to come in.

But the Bulldogs plans to do recruit the star trio could be scuppered amid interest from rival clubs.

The Sydney Morning Herald claims that Canterbury are being squeezed out of the reckoning by bids from fellow NRL clubs.

As first reported by foxsports.com.au , the Warriors are also interested in Koroisau with the likelihood that they won’t offer Issac Luke a new contract.

That big offer from across the Tasman could see the Dogs miss out on the Manly hooker, who is free to talk to other clubs as the Sea Eagles focus their efforts on re-signing Jake and Tom Trbojevic.

The Warriors mean business, shown by their interest in a number of the Brisbane Broncos’ promising young forwards, and will splash the cash in order to land the coveted hooker.

That in turn could lead to the Bulldogs being trumped in the transfer market.

If they do land the Fijian international, it would have ramifications for their ability to strengthen by adding Ramien and Ese’ese.

The former has been told by Newcastle that he is free to move but remains contracted to the Knights, while Ramien was shown the door by coach Nathan Brown.

“Obviously at the end of the day it didn’t work out,” Ramien told NITV’s earlier this week.

“Their style of play and my style of play and my play obviously didn’t click as much as we would have liked it to. It’s a great club. I haven’t got a bad thing to say about the club. I got along great with all the boys there. These things happen in footy and I guess it’s just time to move on.

“I enjoyed my time there. When I left the bush I pretty much grew up in Newy. It was a bit of a going home for me. As I said before, I’ve just got to move on now.”

https://coupler.foxsports.com.au/ap...9e924fe709320eecb73?__twitter_impression=true

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Talk about trying to put the screws to our club :grinning: Personally I'd like to see the club play hardball and stand their ground by not offering overs to anyone. None of these three are marquee players, they are good solid first graders at most and no one to break the bank over. If we ended up signing all three or even none of these players it is okay with me.

Much rather have players wanting to play for our great club, opposed to those playing for us because we offered more than our competitors. I believe that all three would add to our current squad but only if the price is right!!!

#FuckTheMedia:grinning:

Last edited:

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
We've been caught before paying too much for ordinary players, then having nothing in the bank when a real opportunity comes along. Woods was a typical example of us being handcuffed by a dud, as was T-Rex. We should be patient, and target the players we think will turn our fortunes around - not just buy the next thing that comes along.

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What a nothing article...

Reactions: DT

dogbone

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We don't need Koroisau to be honest, he isn't much better than what we currently have and i don't believe we've seen the best of JMK yet. Ese'ese would be a good pickup as we need more depth in the front row but he isn't worth breaking the bank over. There are plenty of decent props that come onto the market each and every season. We do need a centre however and quality centres are few and far between at the moment. Of the 3, Ramien is the one i'd like to see join the club.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I don't really believe it tbh. Sure there may be bigger offers but whether they are realistic in the eyes of the players is another thing.

Ramien: Daughter Central Coast, will he move away?
Api: It's NZ.
Esse: Not a world beater so doesn't matter if we miss out.

I would like us to hold our ground, even if we miss out. Surely we can jag atleast one of them. Atleast show players and managers that we won't be raped any more for our future war chest in 2021.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
We don't need Koroisau to be honest, he isn't much better than what we currently have and i don't believe we've seen the best of JMK yet. Ese'ese would be a good pickup as we need more depth in the front row but he isn't worth breaking the bank over. There are plenty of decent props that come onto the market each and every season. We do need a centre however and quality centres are few and far between at the moment. Of the 3, Ramien is the one i'd like to see join the club.
Api is FAR better than what we have, only concern is his recent injury history. Don't kid yourself into think JMK is close to him lol.

pisssst

CEO
Reaction score
You don’t know much about footy if you think api isn’t much better than what we currently got....

Malla

Reaction score
Api is FAR better than what we have, only concern is his recent injury history. Don't kid yourself into think JMK is close to him lol.
LOL Api is miles ahead of JMK and Lichaa combined.

We desperately need a better hooker. I think yes Ramien looks good to have on paper but as a team we would be better off with Api and other positions will be able to deal with. Good hookers in the comp are hard to come by these days.

Dogs2004

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
obviously the media work for agents and some clubs and write articles to influence decisions

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
obviously the media work for agents and some clubs and write articles to influence decisions
The media wouldn’t have anything to report without relying on player managers. They get the vast majority of their stories from them.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I thought this article was suspect when it wrote "finals contention in 2020."

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
LOL Api is miles ahead of JMK and Lichaa combined.

We desperately need a better hooker. I think yes Ramien looks good to have on paper but as a team we would be better off with Api and other positions will be able to deal with. Good hookers in the comp are hard to come by these days.
I really want Api, rate him highly and he brings a lot of what we're missing, hopefully he is our number 1 target. But like I said, his recent injury history is a concern so I wouldn't be offering more than 400k until he gets through almost a full season.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
If the Warriors couldn't get Turpin, but are willing to pay 500k for Koroisau, how did they not get Turpin done? I'd of taken Turpin over Koroisau any day.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
If the Warriors couldn't get Turpin, but are willing to pay 500k for Koroisau, how did they not get Turpin done? I'd of taken Turpin over Koroisau any day.
You can take Turpin, me and hopefully the club will stick with Api :tearsofjoy:

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I dont think api is that good and i think jmk is actually improving every game he plays and not as bad as some make out I certainly wouldn’t be paying overs for api

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think Api would make more of a positive change to our team than the other 2. Yeah I agree JMK is improving quite well and would be great back up and possibly be cementing a starting spot down the track with some guidance.