Andrew Johns sees Kieran Foran as a perfect fit for the Broncos

Kiwipup

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Rugby league Immortal Andrew Johns has urged the Brisbane Broncos to think about making a play for star playmaker Kieran Foran as the Bulldogs attempt to get the Kiwi international's inflated salary off their books.

Foran was once considered to be in the very top bracket of NRL halves but his reputation has been significantly dented by four seasons where his football has been overshadowed by chronic injuries and off-field issues.

Despite a dramatic slide down the NRL's playmaking pecking order, Foran is on one of the game's most handsome salaries thanks to a generous back-ended deal that reunited him with the coach he won a premiership with in 2011, Des Hasler.

According to reports, Foran will be paid $1.2 million in the last year of his deal with the Bulldogs next season, a salary that is seen as so prohibitive for Canterbury that they are reportedly willing to pay as much as $500,000 of it if they can sell him to a rival club.

While the Broncos would seem an unlikely suitor, especially as they already have a million dollar playmaker in the younger Anthony Milford, Johns told Wide World of Sports' Immortal Behaviour that a fit Foran would instantly make Anthony Seibold's side better.

"I think with the right players around him and especially the right edge forwards, I've watched him closely, this year especially, and a lot of times he's going to the line but the players outside him aren't complementing what he's doing," Johns said.

"If he went to a club with a really strong forward pack I think he'd play well, which points to the Brisbane Broncos, I think he'd be a great fit up there.

"I think if Kieran went to Brisbane he'd add a lot to the Broncos team."

At this stage Johns' observation is nothing more than that. It would take a decision from the Broncos to move some significant pieces before it could move beyond that.

However, what shouldn't be glossed over is the fact that Milford has recently been moved to fullback by Seibold in an effort to get the best out of his running game and to move out of form veteran Darius Boyd away from a position where he's looked vulnerabledefending one-on-one situations this season.

Milford at fullback is a no-brainer: Fast 5
Despite taking the Broncos to a grand final appearance alongside Ben Hunt in his first season at the club in 2015, Milford has struggled to justify his hefty price tag in the club's famous No.6 jersey.

His game is built on flashes of individual brilliance but he has never really convinced as a game manager, an area in which an in-form Foran would be a significant upgrade.

Which brings us back to Boyd. Already 32, the club captain has one more season to run on a deal worth $800,000-a-season plus an option in his favour to play on in 2021.

But so poor has his form been at various stages this season, there have been suggestions that he should retire early before he tarnishes a magnificent legacy.

That talk has cooled over the last month but should it ramp up again over the next seven weeks and Boyd is convinced to end his career early, the Broncos would all of a sudden be in a position to pay Foran the $700,000 needed to make up the shortfall assuming the Bulldogs agreed to pay $500,000 of next year's contract.

With a strong forward pack to play behind, a spine comprising of Milford at fullback, Foran at five-eighth, promising young halfback Tom Dearden and either Andrew McCullough or Jake Turpin at hooker, all of a sudden the Broncos could rocket back into contention.

But would the 29-year-old Foran be worth a $700,000 punt even if the other moving parts in this scenario fit together?

"Depends on his fitness," added Johns. "There's not many halves around, so that's the thing, that's why they're getting so much money. But at the moment Kieran isn't playing like a $1.2 million player..."

Equally, according to Johns, another out-of-favour half isn't worth the money on his contract, with the legendary halfback saying Josh Reynolds' future in the NRL might depend on a move for Foran.

According to Johns, Canterbury is the most logical destination for the Wests Tigers five-eighth but not at his current price tag in the ball park of $900,000-a-season.

"It depends what happens to Kieran," Johns said when asked where Reynolds would fit best.

"It would be a perfect fit for Josh to go back to the Bulldogs, he was born in that area, he's a local junior, but I think a lot of clubs would be baulking at that price tag."

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I have to agree, Foran with those big and growing Broncos fowards in support would have a field day.

With Oates from the back field and Milford running amuck from fullback would be a force.

Plus we could throw another 600-700k back into to our cap. Win win

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think we're all forgetting Foran can't string more than 1 or 2 games together before injuring himself. Doesn't matter how good a fit he is.

Either way I applaud and thank Joey for making Foran sound like he's worth something.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
No club in their right mind is going to pay even $500k to Foran. Also he only recently married and bought a house in the Northern Beaches. He's not going to up and move to Qld, what's the benefit to him in doing so. He's not off contract and can dig his heels in and stay until the last day of his contract. We have to face it, looks like we're stuck with him until the end of next season.

And gotta laugh at the benefit to us according to Joey, getting Reynolds back, replacing one overpaid player with another, no thanks.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
He’s only lined up for 48 games out of a possible 95 since 2016.

He turns 30 next year, his hamstrings are still an ongoing issue - I doubt clubs would even touch him at 350k.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Be good. But Be I interesting too see if any do take him or where he ends up. But I still see him being here next season.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think we're all forgetting Foran can't string more than 1 or 2 games together before injuring himself. Doesn't matter how good a fit he is.

Either way I applaud and thank Joey for making Foran sound like he's worth something.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
"G'day Darius. We want you to retire early so we can use your cap money for someone more reliable"
"Who's that?"
"We reckon Foran is the one"
"......."

Somehow, I can't see it happening

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
"G'day Darius. We want you to retire early so we can use your cap money for someone more reliable"
"Who's that?"
"We reckon Foran is the one"
"......."

Somehow, I can't see it happening

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I agree with this.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I love Johns trying to sell Foran to other clubs for us but I had to laugh when he suggested we sign Reynolds back. Why would we pay for one injury prone overpaid half to play somewhere else and use the money it would free up on a much worse overpaid half that is injured, suspended or in Reserves nearly as much?

I'd love for another club to take Foran and think one might for 500-600k for a one year deal. Some desperate club may take a gamble on him once all of the "best shape of his career" articles are written over the offseason thinking that Foran will put them over the top.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Give them Foran and say you don't have to pay one cent of his deal if you give us Fifita.

Nexus

Super Duper Ultimate Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
"I think with the right players around him and especially the right edge forwards, I've watched him closely, this year especially, and a lot of times he's going to the line but the players outside him aren't complementing what he's doing," Johns said.

He is definitely right there. We dont seem to have players that can run good lines and hit holes.

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Straight swap for a player thats still young. We need a centre.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There all a bunch of overpaid duds.. their managers have done well for the whole lot of them..

Not just Foran, but players like Ash Taylor, Darius Boyd, Mbye, Reynolds, Ben Hunt the list is long for over priced, over paid and underachieving spine players..

Delta

Kennel Established
Reaction score
In my opinion, I believe that Foran is much more useful than it appears on surface level. When he does play he is very good, and we need him around for his experience and help the younger halves (cogger, lewis, wakeham) develop. Remember that Foran was once a great five-eighth with a strong kicking game and defense. Our upcoming playmakers have a lot to learn and Foran would be a good player to learn from. Many Kennel users fail to see how this may be important.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
In my opinion, I believe that Foran is much more useful than it appears on surface level. When he does play he is very good, and we need him around for his experience and help the younger halves (cogger, lewis, wakeham) develop. Remember that Foran was once a great five-eighth with a strong kicking game and defense. Our upcoming playmakers have a lot to learn and Foran would be a good player to learn from. Many Kennel users fail to see how this may be important.
I have rarely seen Foran criticised for his output when he actually plays on here. It’s just that he isn’t on the field enough. Spending money on a full time halves coach would be wiser then blowing $1.2 mill of cap space for a mentor.

fooch

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Who in there right mind would take him unfortunately his body just wont hold up