Pay has to go because he cannot attract decent players

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
You do realise a reason the above list chopped and changed a lot is most of them have been injured. RfM, Montoya Lewis, Holland, CHN...all had injuries, a couple more than once. Outside your list Okunbor has been injured, affecting selections
- I don't remember CHN having injuries. He was 100% dropped for a game, and the other he didn't play was for family reasons.
- Holland was injured playing Reserve Grade.
- Lewis was injured playing Reserve Grade after being dropped.
- RFM was injured playing Reserve Grade after being dropped. Then returned into NRL and then dropped again.
- Montoya was dropped after first few rounds.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Is he? How many NRL games has he coached? He might have better potential but he does not have better credentials then Pay, the guy is coaching the Melbourne Storm of the Super League, you cannot compare that with coaching the over the cap, no room, having to shed players mess the Bulldogs have become thanks to the old coach and board.
Pay had no head coaching experience at all before he got the job. Unless you count NSW Under 20's or Bush Footy. Pay has done a horrible job as a coach in the NRL with a 30% win rate in two seasons and with his tactics and selections despite the squad limitations you mention..

Holbrook won three Reserve Grade titles with us, was an assistant at the Roosters and has an 80% win rate at St. Helens who were mid table for a few seasons before he joined. So let's not diminish his credentials.

Last edited:

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I too, think pay’s on his last legs. But in regards to this thread, which “decent players” were available, that we wanted, but didn’t land ?
Turpin? He was an almost must signing imo.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The results have been mediocre this year but Pay has to go because he cannot attract decent players to the club. There are many players that we have been after but we only land second rate players never any decent players.

The board has to face this fact and get a experienced first grade coach. If the board does not want to face it the members should vote them out.
First of all, this is not the reason Pay needs to go. The reason Pay needs to go is because he is not a great coach.
As for the players he has attracted, personally, I think CHN and DWZ are both quality players!! Two of our best in fact. Others he has attracted like Meaney and Cogger, are half decent, they just need to improve and build on what they have done so far. But their not terrible.
We would certainly be a better served as far as recruitment is concerned if we had a better coach though. On this I agree.

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
First of all, this is not the reason Pay needs to go. The reason Pay needs to go is because he is not a great coach.
As for the players he has attracted, personally, I think CHN and DWZ are both quality players!! Two of our best in fact. Others he has attracted like Meaney and Cogger, are half decent, they just need to improve and build on what they have done so far. But their not terrible.
We would certainly be a better served as far as recruitment is concerned if we had a better coach though. On this I agree.
Nick meaney always looks scared to be on the field though.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
To be fair who have we not gotten that we could have?

Recall that we are still in dire straits for the cap.
Dont forget we are still footing the bill for Woods and Mbye this year.

When we lost Klemme, we got an equal in Napa within the week.

And despite limited finances, we got Joe Stimson who is young hot property, and stole DWZ under the nose of everyone.

I cant recall one player who has gone 'yeah fuk dat' to us since Pay came over, at least not any different to anyone else.

If we had an open cheque and players were refusing big money to sign elsewhere, thenyou would have a point. That isnt happening.

If you want to judge Pay on that topic, we need another 16 months to monitor straight up no bullshit.

Im not a Pay lover.
I am judging him on his decisions, what he has done to Holland, and how he has moved him pillar to post. and why he thought to retain Lichaa as 'number 1 priority signing' for 2 years.
Even if you felt Lichaa was misused, he didnt need a two year deal. Could have got rid of him at the beginning of this year if he had any sense. Not like clubs were lining up. Also he underused Reimis who is a top 5 winger in the NRL.

But he has done some god stuff as well, we play a better brand of footy and he holds playa's to account. Maybe too much. He just stuffs up pivotal decisions.

-Nasheed.
Napa equals Klemmer???
Not in this universe

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Nick meaney always looks scared to be on the field though.
It honestly looks like he's a Harold Matt's player out there that's so overwhelmed by the size of these monsters around him that he just curls up into a ball each tackle and tries not to get hurt.

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It honestly looks like he's a Harold Matt's player out there that's so overwhelmed by the size of these monsters around him that he just curls up into a ball each tackle and tries not to get hurt.
Agree. What doesn't help is that he is playing out of position and Pay being a useless coach.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Is he? How many NRL games has he coached? He might have better potential but he does not have better credentials then Pay, the guy is coaching the Melbourne Storm of the Super League, you cannot compare that with coaching the over the cap, no room, having to shed players mess the Bulldogs have become thanks to the old coach and board.
Coaching St Helens, Wigan and maybe Leeds and Warrington are some of the mos prestigious gigs you can get in Rugby League.

I'd hazard a guess and say this is the hierarchy in the world.

1. Broncos
2. Roosters
3. St Helens
4. Wigan
5. Panthers (junior access)
6. Bulldogs/Saints/Leeds/Melb/Sharks/Cowboys/Warrington.

If you fail to acknowledge that, then at least believe that St Helens is a more prestigious gig than the Gold Coast. If you disagree, you will be slapped. Nasheed.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Flegler won’t be at the broncs in 2020
The Broncos want to keep him and rate him very highly? I haven't seen him linked to any club, I could be wrong tho.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Coaching St Helens, Wigan and maybe Leeds and Warrington are some of the mos prestigious gigs you can get in Rugby League.

I'd hazard a guess and say this is the hierarchy in the world.

1. Broncos
2. Roosters
3. St Helens
4. Wigan
5. Panthers (junior access)
6. Bulldogs/Saints/Leeds/Melb/Sharks/Cowboys/Warrington.

If you fail to acknowledge that, then at least believe that St Helens is a more prestigious gig than the Gold Coast. If you disagree, you will be slapped. Nasheed.
Currently, Bulldogs are the worst or 2nd worst club to coach in the NRL. We could potentially be that 6th spot in a couple of years, but for now I'd have to strongly disagree with this hierarchy.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Just lol.

The Board literally addressed the fan base and community last year stating that due to gross mismanagement of the cap by previous administration - our ability to recruit will be severely limited until 2021. Not because we can’t attract, but because we literally do not currently have the cap space. Hence why our recruitment for this year was largely other clubs scraps/reserve graders. This is the reality of the situation, and the Board spelled it out to everyone last year, clear as anything.

Why is it so hard for members of this forum to accept reality?

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
But he signed DWZ over a cup of coffee.
Don't listen to anyone who tells you it was because the tigers weren't able to make cap space or he didn't want to move to Nth Qld, it was all the chat over a coffee.
From what I heard Gould had a chat with him and recommended he head to us (when Tigers were pissing about).

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Just lol.

The Board literally addressed the fan base and community last year stating that due to gross mismanagement of the cap by previous administration - our ability to recruit will be severely limited until 2021. Not because we can’t attract, but because we literally do not currently have the cap space. Hence why our recruitment for this year was largely other clubs scraps/reserve graders. This is the reality of the situation, and the Board spelled it out to everyone last year, clear as anything.

Why is it so hard for members of this forum to accept reality?
People might say the same of you accepting the reality of Pays coaching, that you can't look at it objectively and see he is not the coach for our future.

I'm pretty sure if Pay had as much money to spend as he liked he still wouldn't be able to attract players other than the NSW under 20's origin team (who he's already signed half of anyway) and those looking for overs or are unwanted by their club (like Napa).

He's not an inspiring coach to play for, nowhere near the level of Bellamy, Bennett and other coaches who have managed to improve players games.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Pay's biggest downfall was accepting mediocrity early last year and now losing has become acceptable.

Pay and Andrew Farah had a big falling out over the way Pay was giving the team excuses in the public and behind the scenes and that's why he is no longer Football Manager.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
How on Earth do you expect us to sign decent players with no cap space?

Forewarning: It's going to be much like this next year.
Quite true. There wont be much cash about until the end of year clean out. Once there is cash, the better players will come.