My view of the future

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So here we are again 1-5 and we are rocks and diamonds. As some people expected we will be going through some good times and some bad times and to see a team get flogged one week and compete the next is so frustrating and tiring that I keep telling myself we knew this was coming.

As an avid bulldog supporter and someone who bleeds blue and white, it hurts to watch my team in recent history get destroyed from inside out. Yes we are rebuilding and yes we all knew that but my god it doesn’t make it any easier watching other shit clubs smacking us. We are a power house in the Comp who have failed to make our mark since our last Gf appearance and since then it has been nothing but embarrassing.

The whole point of the thread is to entice and sort of bring hope to most doggy supporters who are enduring the same pain I am. People have there opinion on who should come in or who shouldn’t be playing and a lot make sense. But what I have a hard time grasping is this so called ‘building phase’ concept.

What are people not understanding? Yes we will build and we will bring in some great talent but what people miss is that other teams in the comp also have the same cap and if we unearth a bunch of young guns they will never survive long enough to gel together and win a comp. The club needs to stop thinking we are playing in the 80s and young pups will build a team to be messed with in 4-5 years time. It just won’t happen.

Roosters are prime examples of buying a comp. yea they have some local talent but most of there superstars are all bought and if you want success in this Comp you need to follow a successful club. As much as that sucks saying it I just don’t see our future in building a squad from young guys with no experience.

Now you ask ok we have cap issues. Yes we do but it even came out of our own admin mouths we have money to spend but don’t want to??? I really don’t grasp the concept of that. What does having money this year free have to do with anything next year. Why not get a decent Hooker or an outside back and build a team around players with experience.

I don’t know about you but I’m not getting any younger and I’ve been waiting to show my kids a premiership for a while. If we keep going along the let’s build this team for the future scenario then we are just shooting ourselves in the foot. Our junior Okunbor had 2 good games and other sides were already inquiring about him. It’s all about the $ these days and unfortunately loyalty is non existent unless you pay money bags under the table.

So what do you guys think? Do you agree with the building phase or do you think next year we go open market and just buy whoever is available which best suits what we need. That’s the way I’d be going.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Juniors are Important, if you don't get that than there's no point explaining it.. even if you don't get to keep them for long they provide a steady stream of good/Great players on the cheap.. ask Newcastle how they went trying to buy a team..

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Juniors are Important, if you don't get that than there's no point explaining it.. even if you don't get to keep them for long they provide a steady stream of good/Great players on the cheap.. ask Newcastle how they went trying to buy a team..
Yea I agree but you can’t expect to rebuild almost the whole team with juniors. Tolman is on his last legs, Jackson has lost his impact and we have foran whos made of glass.

All I’m saying is that yes we get juniors through the system but we can’t completely build a team of juniors and expect results in 3-4-5 years.... you say look at Newcastle.... yep they hve a bunch of superstars but that club has been nothin but a fail since Andrew jones. Look at what we did in 2009, look at roosters the past 5-6 years... a well run club with decent players can be a force.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yea I agree but you can’t expect to rebuild almost the whole team with juniors. Tolman is on his last legs, Jackson has lost his impact and we have foran whos made of glass.

All I’m saying is that yes we get juniors through the system but we can’t completely build a team of juniors and expect results in 3-4-5 years.... you say look at Newcastle.... yep they hve a bunch of superstars but that club has been nothin but a fail since Andrew jones. Look at what we did in 2009, look at roosters the past 5-6 years... a well run club with decent players can be a force.
Not sure what gave you the impression this board only wants to use Juniors.. last time I checked chn cogger and meaney are not our Juniors.... Comes down to supply and demand and whether the player wants to play with us.. patience is the only option..

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure what gave you the impression this board only wants to use Juniors.. last time I checked chn cogger and meaney are not our Juniors.... Comes down to supply and demand and whether the player wants to play with us.. patience is the only option..
I didn’t write our juniors did I? If I did my apologies I meant juniors with lack of grade experience. Cogger and meany were Newcastle rejects who signed on for a spot in our shit line up promised first grade. You mention patience? How long are you willing to gamble this building phase for success?

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hate to say it but in a way we up the creek without a paddle, I do not believe that the success we had in the 80s-90s will ever return, as a result of the media moguls and billionaires who obviously run the game. Mate your saying that your not getting any younger, well there are people who I believe are older than you who support our club and who just want to see our club win one more before we kark it.
I used to enjoy the game 30-40 years ago, now I just stick around because I love my club. I now don't give a dam about the game the NRL Ch9 or News LTD.
I believe the game is dying a slow death and our current Admin should take this fact into consideration when planing for the future.
Kerry packer once said that he would gladly represent Australia at marbles if selected, well I would just as easily support my club in marbles competition.

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hate to say it but in a way we up the creek without a paddle, I do not believe that the success we had in the 80s-90s will ever return, as a result of the media moguls and billionaires who obviously run the game. Mate your saying that your not getting any younger, well there are people who I believe are older than you who support our club and who just want to see our club win one more before we kark it.
I used to enjoy the game 30-40 years ago, now I just stick around because I love my club. I now don't give a dam about the game the NRL Ch9 or News LTD.
I believe the game is dying a slow death and our current Admin should take this fact into consideration when planing for the future.
Kerry packer once said that he would gladly represent Australia at marbles if selected, well I would just as easily support my club in marbles competition.
I do not disagree with anything you have said. God bless your loyalty and it will be rewarded eventually but when is the question??? Ever since tab sponsored nrl the game has taken a significant decline. What makes it worse is how soft they have made the game. Nrl was known to be a tough and rough sport. The shoulder charge and the biffs is what everyone enjoyed, heck they still show all that on footy shows because it’s what made the nrl. They are slowly ripping apart the sport, might as well call it netball soon

rainman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We are not really any worse since we offloaded all those superstars

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We are not really any worse since we offloaded all those superstars
Yep hence why the embarrassing comment I made, some of the worst decisions in the last decade has been the Des errors. Almost signing Tedesco, cook isn’t a good player, no to Mitch etc etc can keep going and going... what ticks me off the most is the offloading of not 1 but 2 of our captains and neither wanted to leave

Packstar

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Yep hence why the embarrassing comment I made, some of the worst decisions in the last decade has been the Des errors. Almost signing Tedesco, cook isn’t a good player, no to Mitch etc etc can keep going and going... what ticks me off the most is the offloading of not 1 but 2 of our captains and neither wanted to leave
One thing i do not believe for a minute is when Dib said, we didnt get Tedesco because Des said no to Moses.

If that was the case, Moses would be at the Roosters or Tedesco would be at Parra or they just would of stayed at the Tigers.

Tedesco was always going to the Roosters and the Dogs were only used to extract as much coin as possible out of uncle Nick

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We are the youngest team in the comp at 22.5 years old, but if you look at the roosters for example they're 25 years old, now it doesn't take a genius to work out by looking at those stats that the gap isn't that big, and we are not going to win anything soon, I'll tell you why, because unless a calamity occurs, the roosters will be up the top for a long time, uncle Nick's words "I want the roosters to be the Real Madrid of rugby league" which means he's going to set them up forever....

The board's job to set up the Bulldogs for the future, forget about living in the eighties and nineties, thinking it's all about heart, rugby league is no longer like that, it's about power, speed, strength and skills, little slow wingers with big hearts no longer cut it any more. They need to accept the fact we can't compete money wise with the top teams unless the NRL scraps the cap, and so they need to focus on outside of that by having the best recruits in the business, player recruitment is a 24/7 job, one person is not going to be able to handle it, they need to leave no stone unturned globally (I don't think our recruitment officer look any further than Sydney, someone needs to give him the map of the world and send him on an international recruitment hunt). Bring in the best coaching staff, if someone told you you're going to be coached by Pay or Bellamy, who are you going to pick? Find other means that are going to attract the big name players!

We are competing against monsters in the Rugby league world, it's dog eat dog, and so if we're going tp be all nice and let this person in and out, watch as other teams develop whilst we sit around and twiddle our thumbs, then I can't see us winning a premiership any time soon, and this premiership drought could get ugly! We need to be ruthless, with the bullfrog mentality, which, unfortunately, I don't think we have in our club! Ruthless and cut throat.....

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
One thing i do not believe for a minute is when Dib said, we didnt get Tedesco because Des said no to Moses.

If that was the case, Moses would be at the Roosters or Tedesco would be at Parra or they just would of stayed at the Tigers.

Tedesco was always going to the Roosters and the Dogs were only used to extract as much coin as possible out of uncle Nick
Mate I got strong word he signed with us and was set on coming. He backed out the last day of his cooling off period because, listen to this..... minichello has a few brother to brother words with him and he done a back flip. Let me tell you I highly doubt it was just words, a shit load more money was used but also the premiership word got him over the line. Uncle nick is very persuasive and not just with his money. He is a very smart man

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We are the youngest team in the comp at 22.5 years old, but if you look at the roosters for example they're 25 years old, now it doesn't take a genius to work out by looking at those stats that the gap isn't that big, and we are not going to win anything soon, I'll tell you why, because unless a calamity occurs, the roosters will be up the top for a long time, uncle Nick's words "I want the roosters to be the Real Madrid of rugby league" which means he's going to set them up forever....

The board's job to set up the Bulldogs for the future, forget about living in the eighties and nineties, thinking it's all about heart, rugby league is no longer like that, it's about power, speed, strength and skills, little slow wingers with big hearts no longer cut it any more. They need to accept the fact we can't compete money wise with the top teams unless the NRL scraps the cap, and so they need to focus on outside of that by having the best recruits in the business, player recruitment is a 24/7 job, one person is not going to be able to handle it, they need to leave no stone unturned globally (I don't think our recruitment officer look any further than Sydney, someone needs to give him the map of the world and send him on an international recruitment hunt). Bring in the best coaching staff, if someone told you you're going to be coached by Pay or Bellamy, who are you going to pick? Find other means that are going to attract the big name players!

We are competing against monsters in the Rugby league world, it's dog eat dog, and so if we're going tp be all nice and let this person in and out, watch as other teams develop whilst we sit around and twiddle our thumbs, then I can't see us winning a premiership any time soon, and this premiership drought could get ugly! We need to be ruthless, with the bullfrog mentality, which, unfortunately, I don't think we have in our club! Ruthless and cut throat.....
Mate it’s exactly what I was trying to say.... us using this building phase is a load of shit... I’m not totally dismissing it but you don’t see Real Madrid or the likes using rebuilding as a excuse hahahah. Yes yes we ain’t comparing apples with apples but cmon, we either sign players for important positions and have young pups for depth or just forget it. Depth is what wins you comp and you can’t have a lower grader filling in for a lower grader playing first grade. It just won’t work in this game anymore.

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mate it’s exactly what I was trying to say.... us using this building phase is a load of shit... I’m not totally dismissing it but you don’t see Real Madrid or the likes using rebuilding as a excuse hahahah. Yes yes we ain’t comparing apples with apples but cmon, we either sign players for important positions and have young pups for depth or just forget it. Depth is what wins you comp and you can’t have a lower grader filling in for a lower grader playing first grade. It just won’t work in this game anymore.
100%, we used to smash teams, and teams used to have fear knowing the doggies are coming up the next round. But it's no longer like that, the game has gone soft, players no longer have the same mentality as cement, Baa, Turvey etc.... they go home and play video games these days, and as long as the money is coming in most of them don't care if they win or lose on the weekend!

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I'll always love and support the team but I'm starting to doubt the strategy of the new board. I'm sure there's supporters who don't have such a strong bond with the team who have just walked away from the game.

Yes I agreed with getting rid of the dead wood. But buying lower grade players hoping we can build a team like the 80's or 90's won't work in this day and age. Players aren't loyal enough to stick around for unders if they're successful and the game is "professional" these days as opposed to back then when playing was in addition to another job.

I'm all for finding kids like Meaney and Lewis but it needs to be balanced with experience.

In the same way maybe Pay isn't the man to lead us out of these troubled times.

All I can say is it hurts to be a fan at the moment and those glory years seem so long ago and so far away.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
It’s not an absolute, all club juniors or all external mercenaries. Wining a comp requires a mixture, some balance, plus a decent number of longer term players that stay longer than the average 3 year contract term. Some players on their way up, some players at their peak and some players who maybe aren’t as good as they used to be but their experience is absolutely necessary.

This year we are a couple of gun players short, but the main issue is experience, we are a couple of years on average short. That results in close losses that we should have won but mostly up and down performances from week to week. Consistency requires experience, something we are short of right now.

Go Dogs

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s not an absolute, all club juniors or all external mercenaries. Wining a comp requires a mixture, some balance, plus a decent number of longer term players that stay longer than the average 3 year contract term. Some players on their way up, some players at their peak and some players who maybe aren’t as good as they used to be but their experience is absolutely necessary.

This year we are a couple of gun players short, but the main issue is experience, we are a couple of years on average short. That results in close losses that we should have won but mostly up and down performances from week to week. Consistency requires experience, something we are short of right now.

Go Dogs
We won't be able to recruit good players in the next 1-2 years irrespective of how much money we have to spend.
Fact of the matter is the good players just don't want to come to the dogs.
Best solution sign bellamy or Trent Robinson give them offers they cannot refuse.
Then players will come and I mean the marquee type...but at best now and in future years we will attract unwanted first graders from other clubs and reserve graders at best and even then we would have to pay overs for them which we should not have to,but a sign of the times at the dogs.
Go dogs

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Heavy body contact sports will have an increasingly difficult future to get participants - but interests from spectators will remain. on a bigger picture view these same team sports are incredibly important - they provide the real and metaphorical knocks, bruises, disappointments that the pc world is trying to shield kids and youth from as well as the discipline needed to be successful in and beyond sport. Contact team sports do far more than build physical fitness and strength.
I think that in the future there will only be 4 or 5 teams in Sydney and if it means the game grows in other areas and as a spectator sport and id have no issues with amalgamation.