Reaction score
Meaney
Reimis Smith
CHN
Lewis (Lock Forward)
Ogden
Martin

Keep these players and go on a recruitment drive to fill in the other spots
Best post right here. The players listed here are okay, but they need some support from experienced NRL players not more youngsters. It been seen over and over again in all football codes the world over, you can’t just build with young guys and hope they turn out stars. The AFL is classic, the clubs who fight hard for early draft picks are the clubs constantly at foot of ladder, seasoned / proven players need to compliment a mix of youth.

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I am not sold on Okunbor.

I am not sold on JMK at 9.

Meany must stay.

I honestly like Cogger footy smarts. But we are getting dominated in the middle so makes it hard for either half to step up. We need an organising 9. I think Cogger could be that and move JMK to the bench. Only problem is who do we play in the halves? NuBrown?

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Odin has to start and force Napa to the bench, which is best for both players.

Lichit needs to fuck off asap.

I'd move Holland back to Smith's side.

Foran needs to come back ASAP with Cogger given a shot at hooker.

Basically, my opinion of how to make the best of our shit roster/situation...

1. Meaney
2. Idris
3. Hoppa
4. Holland
5. Smith
6. Foran
7. Lewis
8. Tolman
9. Cogger
10. Odin
11. CHN
12. Martin
13. Jackson

14. Napa
15. RFM (JMK If Pay still wants 2 hookers)
16. Smith
17. To'Omaga

Not saying this is the answer, but it might work.
Lol @ Odin and Idris.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I agree with that.

I think Okunbor needs to go to cup playing in the second row and learn how to use his shoulders. If you throw him into the 2nd row in first grade he will get annihilated
Okunbor started as a an outside back but was found out as unable or unwilling to defend - he was then moved into the forwards to"toughen up", was rarely the first in the tackle so he was ten moved to the wing where he is now. Talk to anyone involved in the Dogs junior programs n competitions - he hasn't improved and only stood out in park footy because he was bigger than the opposition. once he hit reps he was found out.

Reactions: DDR

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Not yet on Meaney. He needs a stellar performance to win us a game before he makes the cut. He’s a fullback, not a centre. He needs to be extra special and I haven’t seen that yet. Sorry, but he’s no Ben Barba, the last real fullback we’ve had
Nonsense! Barba at his peak in 2012 was once in a lifetime player, you’ll be waiting 100 years to get that again. Meaney is a good fullback, a Patten type player. He’s learning his craft and will only get better and better the more he plays. From what I’ve seen of him so far I think he will be our long term fullback. Very good under the high ball and has speed.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
When we fall out of top 8 contention (which will be pretty soon) we should persist in getting as many of our fringe top 30 game time as possible.

Come mid-late season I can't see why the likes of Harper, Toomaga and maybe even Wakeham shouldn't be getting some first grade experience in preparation for 2020 and beyond.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I still rate Meaney after what I’ve seen From him so far, he is only going to get better, and when he does find open space and can find gaps he will definitely be dangerous and offer some xfactor!! Maybe not barba like, but he will be a good FB.

I think he is fast but not barba fast

He doesn’t seem to be able to accelerate through those gaps and take off.

pijk

Waterboy
Reaction score
Lets not also forget the ref won the game for Melbourne with that bs penalty try to Melbourne, other than that we were all over them like a rash. Just like last night the ref handed Souths the win, 90% of 50/50s went to Souths hell they were even getting penalties for putting themselves in bad positions I.E the jumping in the air for a kick and not getting tackled but landing on the opposing player who is trying to attack the ball, surprised it wasn't a penalty try to Melbourne hahaha, we defended really well in that second half, I see a lot of heat on Okunbur lets not forget from that scrum were he dropped it souths actually moved before ball was out should have been a penalty straight away, I was happy for play on though until the same thing happened to Souths were our two outside players moved and Souths got down the field lost the ball and we come back for a penalty to Souths, BULLSHIT UNFAIR PLAY how can you not penalize Souths for the same thing but penalize the dogs for it, hell why not just give it as a penalty try to Melbourne to, Souths dint win that just like Melbourne didn't beat us the referee beat us for them both. But the worst thing here is with the heat on the coach is the first to go then players, which is a real shame as we have some really talented young guys there, it is also not fair to blame the players or fire the coach, how is it his fault that your dumb **** selectors chose to spend $1.4 million on dickhead Foran who walked out on 2 clubs leaving them $2million in the hole, why on earth would ya buy him, now its a bit over a year since we bought him and look what it did to the club, we couldn't even offer our captain James Graham at the time a contract nor keep Mbye nor Reynolds, but we needed Aaron Woods at $500,000 oh wait we are still above the salary cap, so Woods goes mid season, oh and then at the end we lose both Morris brothers Klemmer and a few other players leaving us with 3 name players really Hopoate Tolman and Jackson, now you wanna go blame the coach or the players, that's ridiculous its the selectors that should be fired they put our club in this spot there heads must roll, just think if we HAD NOT of bought fuckwit Foran how much better position we would be in, and how much more experience and talented our new guys like Lewis Cogger and Meeny even the new forwards we got would be looked at in a different light because we would have had the players there to back them up, but alas no we have Foran, which brings us to the saddest point in losing a coach who is doing the best with a pair of deuces trying to beat a royal flush, to potentially losing young talent who could serve us very well in the future, fire the selectors get rid of Foran and start again next year this one is gone for us, lets build a side for the future:grinning: What a decision to buy Foran eh look at our once great club now, it's in tatters.

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Can i just add. From experience. Defending at hooker and in the halves are totally different.

At hooker its generally easier, if you have the fitness to back it up. your defending close in on the ruck with little advancing momentum. You have support in bigger bodies around you and play it relatively easier to read.

In the halves, you are usually caught out one on one against opppsition (most of the time forwards) running at you with alot of momentum. Then you need to worry about sweepinh plays and if your inside support is with you....

Much easier to get the missed tackle count up in the halves than in the middle of the field.

I wouldnt judge cogger as a bad defender at hooker until i see him there for a few games.

pijk

Waterboy
Reaction score
Can i just add. From experience. Defending at hooker and in the halves are totally different.

At hooker its generally easier, if you have the fitness to back it up. your defending close in on the ruck with little advancing momentum. You have support in bigger bodies around you and play it relatively easier to read.

In the halves, you are usually caught out one on one against opppsition (most of the time forwards) running at you with alot of momentum. Then you need to worry about sweepinh plays and if your inside support is with you....

Much easier to get the missed tackle count up in the halves than in the middle of the field.

I wouldnt judge cogger as a bad defender at hooker until i see him there for a few games.
hopefully cogger gets a decent run would be a shame to see some of the new talent gone in lewis meany cogger ogden okunbur there are others those are just a few. Band together guys support the youth and the squad, obviously we need experience but without funds we got nothing, lets not lose the young talent get rid of Foran at the least and we would have a little cash to spend on players, remember it was the selectors that put u in this spot not the players or the coach, at least we can say legitimately we are the only side guaranteed to win something atm lol, we are in a rebuild stage now and young talent lost will be deterimental to us in the long run, support the coach his playing with a pair of deuces against a royal flush very hard to bluff a win out of that.

Guard Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with that.

I think Okunbor needs to go to cup playing in the second row and learn how to use his shoulders. If you throw him into the 2nd row in first grade he will get annihilated
That would mean getting his head in the scrum. Then spend time fixing his hair....But yes it's a shame he doesn't utilize his size

Minix

Waterboy
Reaction score
We need signings and we need them for 2020

1. Nick Meaney
2. Sosaia Feki
3. Lachlan Lewis
4. William Hopoate
5. Remis Smith
6. Kieran Foran
7. Jack Cogger
8. Aiden Tolman
9. Isaac Luke or Apisau Koroisau
10. Dylan Napa
11. Corey Harawira-Naera
12. Briton Nikora
13. Josh Jackson

14. Ofahiki Ogden
15. Christian Welch
16. Thomas Flegler
17. Raymond Faitala-Mariner

Outs - Lichaa, Brown, Fualalo, Tualau, Martin, Olive

Ins - Feki, Welch, Flegler, Nikora, Luke/Koroisau,

Cup - Holland, Okunbor, Elliott, JMK

Craystar

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We need signings and we need them for 2020

1. Nick Meaney
2. Sosaia Feki
3. Lachlan Lewis
4. William Hopoate
5. Remis Smith
6. Kieran Foran
7. Jack Cogger
8. Aiden Tolman
9. Isaac Luke or Apisau Koroisau
10. Dylan Napa
11. Corey Harawira-Naera
12. Briton Nikora
13. Josh Jackson

14. Ofahiki Ogden
15. Christian Welch
16. Thomas Flegler
17. Raymond Faitala-Mariner

Outs - Lichaa, Brown, Fualalo, Tualau, Martin, Olive

Ins - Feki, Welch, Flegler, Nikora, Luke/Koroisau,

Cup - Holland, Okunbor, Elliott, JMK

Not bad, though i would send out some enquires to a few players who are under contract but cannot crack the first 17 at their clubs. i.e Zac Lomax, Kotoni Staggs (Unless Bennett nabs Roberts)

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Not bad, though i would send out some enquires to a few players who are under contract but cannot crack the first 17 at their clubs. i.e Zac Lomax, Kotoni Staggs (Unless Bennett nabs Roberts)
Agree... the ones that will only get a run through injuries or State of Origin, and who are not likely to be slated by respective clubs in their future.

For example Kotoni Stagsgs I reckon would be viewed as a future Broncos player (probably happen with Boyd retiring and a backline shuffle).

Hence we should target Canterbury and Qld Cup teams with fringe first graders that can't get a run elsewhere. Billy Brittain (Souths backup hooker stuck in NSW Cup behind Cook and off contract next year) for example.

With each decent player we can recruit it'll lift the entire side.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think Okonbor has reached stagnation point. His past failures keep surfacing.
He needs to re-invent himself. Forget about the past and build a new future.
A good start would be to divest himself of that hideous hairstyle.
He needs time in reserves and also given more one on one coaching.
He is a good athlete who is totally down on confidence. He needs to be in reserves to regain that confidence.

David holland

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes I'd try cogger at hooker, people we are young in talent and experience but there 1 guy I'd buy Lyndsay Collins

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
I think we have the players but pay needs to play a more old school game. The halves need to be on The ball. Especially cogger needs to run the show, the whole show . We need to get Jacko at 13 playing like Clyde and tackling like fensom. Chn and mariner on edges .Brown at 9 ,I think He is our best runner. Simple game plan direct and keep it coming play. When foz is back Lewis on the bench to play back up 9 or roaming 13. Potential centre but I would persist with our backs as we don't have any other choice. Harper is next in line at centre . We need an impact bench. Lewis ,sue for his footwork but fmd he needs a wake up. Ogden when nap is back , and maybe Smith but prefer a lane style back rower . I don't know who we have but I'm sick of seeing nugget built Jacko Eliott Smith Martin fualo body types. They offer fuck all in today's game.