Official Dean Pay extends his contract with the Bulldogs by another 12 months.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Sponsor (MPA) signs on for another year, till the end of the 2020 season, coincidence, I don't think so.

Go Dogs

Deathspell

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Brown moved Ponga to 6. That will do me.
Lol, I agree, that Watson-Ponga experiment sure shows Brown got lots to learn.
He's in a good position to kick on if he's good enough. Newcastle are a decent mid table team with a chance of making the semi-finals.
Is it possible that Brown, regardless of 16 years of coaching experience, has hit a brick wall and cannot take Newcastle to a higher level ?

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don't think anyone's feeling particularly 'triggered' or 'unsafe' by your comments. They just think you're a fuckwit.
Well I mean thinking that one is a fuckwit due to being triggered by “dean gay” still is being triggered and arguably feels unsafe especially whence followed and getting triggered in other threads lol.

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
by giving dean pay 1 more year till the end of 2020 season, what does that mean, do for the team
stability for 2 seasons
salary cap issues should be over
fresh player contracts
players on the fringe should be gone by then
should be in a position to sign front line players
should be in a position to sign o top line coach
foran lichaa gone, no more paying woods, perrit, mbye, reynolds part contracts

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
Well I mean thinking that one is a fuckwit due to being triggered by “dean gay” still is being triggered and arguably feels unsafe especially whence followed and getting triggered in other threads lol.
lol you acting like getting triggered in this situation is a bad thing, people should be triggered by you and your shit

from now on im going to start insulting people by telling them they aren't triggered by realist90

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
lol you acting like getting triggered in this situation is a bad thing, people should be triggered by you and your shit

from now on im going to start insulting people by telling them they aren't triggered by realist90
If that makes you feel safer and empowered. All power to you.

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
im highly safe, you are the one who needs safety which is why you use the internet to be a fuck because you cant do it outside
You got that life jacket on at all times I’m assuming.
I can’t do what outside? Say dean gay? I dunno how to say this but I don’t exactly get intimidated by soy boys wearing life jackets who feel highly safe surrounded more highly safe devotees

Last edited:

DroidDog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Lol, I agree, that Watson-Ponga experiment sure shows Brown got lots to learn.
He's in a good position to kick on if he's good enough. Newcastle are a decent mid table team with a chance of making the semi-finals.
Is it possible that Brown, regardless of 16 years of coaching experience, has hit a brick wall and cannot take Newcastle to a higher level ?
Possibly, these days it's so hard to continually lift the bar. Until a coach hits a certain status, players may or may not buy into their game plan etc.
Coaches like Bellamy and Robinson have created this "Without doubt" aura around them and players seem to want to give their best because of it.

Deathspell

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Possibly, these days it's so hard to continually lift the bar. Until a coach hits a certain status, players may or may not buy into their game plan etc.
Coaches like Bellamy and Robinson have created this "Without doubt" aura around them and players seem to want to give their best because of it.
I believe the coaches that had previously or are still setting the bar, have two important common denominators.

Firstly their coaching status was elevated as a result of their opportunity to mentor and win multiple premierships with champion sides of that era. Like you indicated " Players are drawn to the aura that surrounds a coach once he hits an elite status and will relish the opportunity to play for him ".
Secondly since 1998 due to good management and/or salary cap abuse, elite coaches have benefited by being able to assemble these champion sides.

Coaches since 1967 that I believe have earned their elite reputation by coaching champion sides of that era :

Clive Churchill during the period 1967-91 with Souths : won 4 premierships and lost 1 grand final.
Ron Willy during the period 1970-73 with Manly : won 2 premierships and lost 1 grand final.
Jack Gibson during the period 1974-75 with Easts : won 2 premierships and during the period 1981-83 with Parramatta : won 3 premierships.
Frank Stanton during the period 1976-78 with Manly : won 2 premierships.
Harry Bath during the period 1977-79 with St George : won 2 premierships.
Warren Ryan during the period 1984-86 with Canterbury : won 2 premierships and lost 1 grand final.
Tim Sheens during the period 1989-94 with Canberra : won 3 premierships and lost 1 grand final.
Wayne Bennett during the period 1992-1993 with Brisbane : won 2 premierships and during the period 1997-2006 with Brisbane : won 4 premierships.
Craig Bellamy during the period 2006-12 with Melbourne: won 3 premierships and lost 2 grand finals and during the period 2016-18 with Melbourne: won 1 premiership and lost 2 grand finals.
Trent Robinson during the period 2013-18 with Easts : won 2 premierships.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I believe the coaches that had previously or are still setting the bar, have two important common denominators.

Firstly their coaching status was elevated as a result of their opportunity to mentor and win multiple premierships with champion sides of that era. Like you indicated " Players are drawn to the aura that surrounds a coach once he hits an elite status and will relish the opportunity to play for him ".
Secondly since 1998 due to good management and/or salary cap abuse, elite coaches have benefited by being able to assemble these champion sides.

Coaches since 1967 that I believe have earned their elite reputation by coaching champion sides of that era :

Clive Churchill during the period 1967-91 with Souths : won 4 premierships and lost 1 grand final.
Ron Willy during the period 1970-73 with Manly : won 2 premierships and lost 1 grand final.
Jack Gibson during the period 1974-75 with Easts : won 2 premierships and during the period 1981-83 with Parramatta : won 3 premierships.
Warren Ryan during the period 1984-86 with Canterbury : won 2 premierships and lost 1 grand final.
Tim Sheens during the period 1989-94 with Canberra : won 3 premierships and lost 1 grand final.
Wayne Bennett during the period 1992-1993 with Brisbane : won 2 premierships and during the period 1997-2006 with Brisbane : won 4 premierships.
Craig Bellamy during the period 2006-12 with Melbourne: won 3 premierships and lost 2 grand finals and during the period 2016-18 with Melbourne: won 1 premiership and lost 2 grand finals.
Add Wayne Bennett to Raiders 1987 when he was co coach with Don Furner.

Deathspell

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Add Wayne Bennett to Raiders 1987 when he was co coach with Don Furner.
I guess an argument could be made that over six years Furner built a very good side at the Raiders. Together with Bennett as co coach Canberra lost the 1987 grand final, which included Lance and the Queenslanders, Belcher, Meninga, Jackson, Coyne, Bacho and the Walters brothers.

But it was Sheens in 1988 that came in at the right time and right place who moulded them into a champion triple premiership winning side with the inclusion of Daley, Ferguson, Stuart, Clyde and Lazarus.

Elite coaches like Sheens win silverware ( 3 premierships and 1 minor premiership) and although Bennett proved his elite status by winning multiple premierships with Brisbane, Furner has never won anything of note. At Canberra Furner will always be acknowledged for his contributions and foundation which he built around the right people. People with winning attitudes that speared Sheen's onward success.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Pays problem is he doesn't push the standard that he's expecting. He'll say we just weren't good enough, we made simple errors, this is not acceptable blah blah blah then he'll say BUT were on a learning curve, we're still young, the salary cap blah blah blah.. He's sending out mixed messages to the team and making excuses for poor performances.

Fuck that, set a standard and stick to it.. Drop the players who aren't meeting the expectations

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Pays problem is he doesn't push the standard that he's expecting. He'll say we just weren't good enough, we made simple errors, this is not acceptable blah blah blah then he'll say BUT were on a learning curve, we're still young, the salary cap blah blah blah.. He's sending out mixed messages to the team and making excuses for poor performances.

Fuck that, set a standard and stick to it.. Drop the players who aren't meeting the expectations
And replace them with who, St Johns Lakemba under 16’s?

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score

Des Hasler during the period 2007-11 with Manly : won 2 premierships and lost 1 grand final.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
And replace them with who, St Johns Lakemba under 16’s?
St Johns is in Belfield not lakemba BTW lol.

There are certain players who are making really poor errors at the opposition try line gifting the opposition penalties.. It's just sloppy play by one or 2 people which is why we're losing.... If the players don't try to make up for it in the game by a try assist or a try then it's off to ISp .othereise they're a liability to us because it puts our whole team on the back foot

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Des Hasler during the period 2007-11 with Manly : won 2 premierships and lost 1 grand final.
Bulldogs 2012-2017 Des hasler dismantled our team and put us into a salary cap mess