Opinion What's up with Jackson??

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Like the title says, what gives?? Last year I was surprised he missed out on the first SOO, but give his form over the full season and the first two games of this year, plus the emergence of so many good backrowers, Jackson is now way down on the SOO pecking order. Even in my blue eyed opinion! His form is waaaaay down. Missing tackles that lead directly to trys, not running great lines, and having very little impact at all.

RFM was dropped to reserves. That's a long way from a starting position. Was he all that worse then Jackson?

I know it's not a great look to drop your captain, but he has been terrible these first two games. He had a missed tackle in both games that lead directly to trys. He really needs to lift his game!!!

Over to you. What do you think?

sifter6

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Like several of the players that performed well in the last quarter of the previous year - they are now playing out of position. Why move RFM, Jackson, Holland etc. - those things WERE working for the team.

Jean-Claude Juncker

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He needs to show some leadership and put his hand up to play 13.

He's started in Origin matches there and as everyone else has observed, it's become obvious he's no longer suited to the edge.

Playing in the middle will bring the warrior out in him and also gives him the best opportunity to just rip in and lead by his actions, in a Gallen-esque way.

He has to get back to basics and simply concentrate on inspiring with effort upon effort upon effort. In the middle.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
He's not an edge player he's a lock. You can only be as good as the players around you allow you to be, so I'm not going to shit on a class player that's gives his all tryinng to cover for the lack of effort and creativity in our side. The coach needs to put him in the middle have a word with him to simplify his role, only then will we see his best

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
He has declined gradually over the last few years and doesn’t look anything like the player he was when he was a Origin regular. He has been front and centre of the debacle at the club since James Graham left and that might be taking its toll. You can’t fault his effort but he’s struggling.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
To be honest, Jackson's form has been dropping for years and its only when he's played Origin that he's looked like himself.

He still has played well from time to time with Canterbury, but not often enough and when the team is struggling he seems to go into a shell.

He doesn't lead by example enough and isn't vocal enough in my opinion.

I still believe he's a good player and will be better with better players around him but excuses aside, theres no doubt he has to stand up.

Perhaps all of the drama and loss of teammates is wearing him down and he wants out too?

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He has declined gradually over the last few years and doesn’t look anything like the player he was when he was a Origin regular. He has been front and centre of the debacle at the club since James Graham left and that might be taking its toll. You can’t fault his effort but he’s struggling.
I didn't read your post but wrote the exact same thing. Haha.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hes very lucky to have the C next to his name, as he has been one of the worst players on the field in the last two games..

as others have said, playing out of position doesn't help .. but does your position on the field affect your ability to tackle and run hard??

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Like the title says, what gives?? Last year I was surprised he missed out on the first SOO, but give his form over the full season and the first two games of this year, plus the emergence of so many good backrowers, Jackson is now way down on the SOO pecking order. Even in my blue eyed opinion! His form is waaaaay down. Missing tackles that lead directly to trys, not running great lines, and having very little impact at all.

RFM was dropped to reserves. That's a long way from a starting position. Was he all that worse then Jackson?

I know it's not a great look to drop your captain, but he has been terrible these first two games. He had a missed tackle in both games that lead directly to trys. He really needs to lift his game!!!

Over to you. What do you think?
I'm not saying he should be dropped, plenty should be dropped before him and he deserves the opportunity to turn it around, which I'm sure he will..

But Folkes dropped then captain Simon Gillies to reserve grade in his first year as coach in 1998 and we ended up making the GF that year after sneaking into the finals and starting off the year horribly.

Sometimes coaches need to make tough calls and dropping Foran would be the first move I would suggest to spark the team and send a strong message that players won't just be picked on name and reputation.

Hopefully thay would wake Jackson the fuck up along with everyone else...

Kip Drordy

Kennel Established
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm giving him a chance. He started like this last year, missed tackles and way off his game but by round 4 was back to what we expect. He obviously needs game time (i.e.more than 1 trial of 30 minutes) to get his timing etc back. And he should be playing lock but Pay's love child Elliot gets 1st go because he cant play edge. Sooner Jackos at lock, the better he'll be.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
First half of trial looked great and I think he still has it inside him, he's a quality player! I have wondered the same thing after the two opening games. More around him need to step up and then he needs to concentrate on the little things that make him so good. Forward pack is ordinary right now. Napa needs to be the enforcer he was employed for and the others need to think about their roles, what they want to achieve and go out and get it! He's carrying the team on his shoulders at the moment.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'm not saying he should be dropped, plenty should be dropped before him and he deserves the opportunity to turn it around, which I'm sure he will..

But Folkes dropped then captain Simon Gillies to reserve grade in his first year as coach in 1998 and we ended up making the GF that year after sneaking into the finals and starting off the year horribly.

Sometimes coaches need to make tough calls and dropping Foran would be the first move I would suggest to spark the team and send a strong message that players won't just be picked on name and reputation.

Hopefully thay would wake Jackson the fuck up along with everyone else...
Drop Foran for what? He did his job last game behind a beaten pack

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Jackson is a follower not a hunter. It's proven that he likes working behind a big heavy pack and being told what to do. He has not had that luxury for 2 years now. The added pressure of the captaincy has not helped either. Tolman whether liked or disliked should have been given that opportunity.

liljohny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm leaning towards him being physically cooked.

I've mentioned in other posts, but rather than not being fit, Jackson and the rest of the team look like they have been over trained and all suffering fatigue.

If this is the case, unless he gets sufficient time to let the body recover you won't see anywhere near his best

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Drop Foran for what? He did his job last game behind a beaten pack
He's just not the answer long term and even though he's been more involved this year (which wasnt hard after being a passenger when he played last year) he still isn't anywhere near the same player and his best footy is behind him.

Lewis played way better last season without Foran so I'd like to see Lewis take full control again.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He's not an edge player he's a lock. You can only be as good as the players around you allow you to be, so I'm not going to shit on a class player that's gives his all tryinng to cover for the lack of effort and creativity in our side. The coach needs to put him in the middle have a word with him to simplify his role, only then will we see his best
Good coach would get lichaa running more and would put Jacko in the middle and tell him to follow lichaa when he scoots from dummy half.
Lichaa Tolman and Jacko would be a great combo if defending together through the middle.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He's just not the answer long term and even though he's been more involved this year (which wasnt hard after being a passenger when he played last year) he still isn't anywhere near the same player and his best footy is behind him.

Lewis played way better last season without Foran so I'd like to see Lewis take full control again.
Lewis is playing the same.. its the makeup around him which is shit house and not making things easier for him.. disturbingly shit coaching.