Simple but effective recruitment strategy

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
This might sound overly simplistic but I think a band aid quick fix solution to our recruitment is to simply smooch off Brisbane.

I’ll explain.
The broncos are a one team city that is a massive league mad area. The monopoly on junior talent is huge. The league loving population is nearly as big as Sydney’s but with 8 less teams.

They constantly need to shed players elsewhere to develop junior talent, and that junior talent is just the ones that managed to capture in their net.

There has been many famous stories of Bennett having to tap guys on the shoulder to move them on. Players which were stars. Wally Lewis, Walters, etc.
Not many teams have this problem and players traditionally have taken payouts to stay in Brisbane because its that enticing for a footballer. Cheap houses too.

Only today I see that Alex Glenn is being shipped around. No other club would get rid of an Alex Glenn right now. He would be a good pickup for say, the titans. Which pretty much just use this strategy anyway.

We Shousk work to take some of their discards (who are still very good, like tyres off a police vehicle after 6 months use) or target some of the mid tier players with better offers. Like how we nearly got Oates.

What’s more, we have employed this ver my strategy before. When we got Beastwood, Staggs, and two others. Both served us well for a long time and prior to their arrival, we were in pretty much the exact situation now.

Let history repeat itself and try to get the Pangai bloke, but if we can’t, let’s aim for one of their props or centres. Or a junior hooker. Nasheed.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Hi nasheed.. Scooby here !!

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We need to pack our side with the best 18-19 year olds that are promised a first grade spot (sort of like tanking in nba to get high lottery picks). Hope that these young kids develop into stars. And then hopefully have enough experienced players around them that when they do become great players the team
Is competitive.

Our last decent era was when Barba, klemmer, kasiano, Reynolds, Jackson, finucane came though (almost all within a few seasons of each other). That a premiership core. Too bad only Jackson is left from that group.

Get mcdonell, and Hughes and who ever else is out recruiters. Tell them to target the best of the best in sg ball and nyc cup. And get them to broker a deal.

In search for the next wave of pongas, ash Taylor’s, pangai jnr, taumalolo, Croft etc.

gazza

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bring back big Sammy. Kasiano is being pushed out of Melbourne because of salary cap issues. Why force him to England? Get on the phone and do a deal. And why not try to get Reynolds back as athe hooker he originally was.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Bring back big Sammy. Kasiano is being pushed out of Melbourne because of salary cap issues. Why force him to England? Get on the phone and do a deal. And why not try to get Reynolds back as athe hooker he originally was.
He has already gone.
Moved the family to France on a 3 year contract and has said he is "over the NRL".

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Generally speaking Brisbane and power clubs that cheat the cap keep the players they want.

I don't see us out recruiting Brisbane for key youngsters and getting them to leave their home state to join a floundering club that has an uncertain coaching situation and horrible roster.

The best chance we have is poaching youngsters from the other Sydney clubs that might have cap issues.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We need to sign an up and coming big name player to start our rebuild, similar to when Souths signed Asotasi.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think we need to make an offer to a game breaker that the player simply can't refuse, as was the case with Parra signing Ferguson, who has completely transformed that side. TPJ is an obvious target, and being from NSW, you just never know. I also think we need to look at Super League, as all of the Englishmen playing here ATM are some of the best and most consistent players in their respective teams

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yes you arent the first to say it .

We should pillage the Broncos juniors.. they have great depth - forwards and backs coming out of their ying yang..

We should be able to snap up a few as their road to NRL is blocked at the moment by other very good players..

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I think we need to make an offer to a game breaker that the player simply can't refuse, as was the case with Parra signing Ferguson, who has completely transformed that side. TPJ is an obvious target, and being from NSW, you just never know. I also think we need to look at Super League, as all of the Englishmen playing here ATM are some of the best and most consistent players in their respective teams
Yep super league is choc full of solid players ATM. Would love a handful of them, pretty jealous Canberra got Bateman

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We tried to sign carrigan who is probably their next youngster in line to get an nrl start. That didnt eventuate.

Their promising young players who couldnt get a start or regular playing time, like ash taylor and arrow, would rather stay in the area and sign with titans. We have to pay over to get them. If we have to pay over, why limit ourselves to just broncos?

Btw we have been going in this direction for the last couple of years. We have linked up with keebra high, the school that produced fifita and haas. Basically broncos sign a couple of kids they want to develop and we get the first shot on the rest

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The best qld youngsters will either sign for the Broncos anyway or move back there the first chance they get like Milford did.
It’s very difficult to compete against a single city team like Brisbane that is historically almost always in the finals also.
We just tried to get Carrigan from them and he knocked us back so it’s not as simple as you think.
In regards to taking players they want to offload why would you only focus on Brisbane? If a player suits our needs and becomes available it shouldn’t matter what club they are coming from.

Last edited:

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The toyota near me gives the broncos corollas and Toyota’s to drive , bought my hikux and saw tpj, nikorima, Alex Glenn and kahu there . They all had hiluxes.. one team city for the win

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Recruitment needs to be all over - not just Brisbane. Western Sydney, Newcastle have larger numbers of juniors than most - club needs to scout wherever but be clinical and methodical in the approach. Not just sign the biggest, or the most culturally diverse, or someone because they are related to a good player.

Chrisaaar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We just need to start enticing players to break their contracts - every other club does it to us.

Let's throw some ridiculous coin at Ponga just to piss off Newcastle - 10 year, 20 mil deal starting in 2021 or whenever his contract is due to end.

James zac

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good ideas good pros and cons put forward I think an AFL draft is the way to go to spread talent seem to work for the Aussie rules why can’t it work for nrl?