News Versatility gets Harawira-Naera the nod over Martin

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/03/11/versatility-gets-corey-harawira-naera-the-nod-over-rhyse-martin/

Bulldogs skipper Josh Jackson has praised the versatility, work ethic and competitiveness of recruit Corey Harawira-Naera, who is set to tip breakout 2018 star Rhyse Martin out of an NRL jersey in coach Dean Pay's round one team to face the Warriors.

Jackson said that with himself and fit-again Kiwi Test forward Raymond Faitala-Mariner eyeing off probable 80-minute roles as edge forwards, the team's round one bench would feature two props, one utility and the ex-Panther, who can cover back row, centre and prop.

"There's been good competition over the pre-season and it lifts the intensity of the sessions so it's been great," Jackson told NRL.com.

"The way it will look this weekend, we'll have Adam [Elliott] starting at lock, Ray and myself on the edges, Aiden [Tolman] and [Dylan] Napa starting up front then we'll have Jesse [Sue], Corey, Danny [Fualalo] and Jeremy Marshall-King on the bench.

"Corey's been great for us and he's a really handy player to have because he can play anywhere on the field. He can play on the edge, he can play in the centres, he can play in the middle of the field too so he's got really good versatility."

Bulldogs forward Corey Harawira-Naera. ©Gregg Porteous/NRL Photos
The reduction in interchanges in recent years meant the way coaches used their benches has evolved, he added.

"With eight interchanges, you want to rotate your middles and leave your edges out there for as long as possible," he said.

"That's why [Harawira-Naera] is good, he's a very selfless player, he'll play in the middle even though he hasn't played there too much before. I'd imagine that will be his role unless there's some injuries.

"He's been fantastic, his training has been really good, he's a real skilful player. Watching him in the Canberra trial he's very physical as well so that's probably where Deano got the idea to throw him in the middle. He was hitting pretty hard. He's going to have a big year for us.

"I think that's probably a strength of ours is our forward pack and trying to play them through the middle."

Jackson also had plenty of praise for another recruit, former Wests Tigers prop Sauaso 'Jesse' Sue, who had earned himself a spot in his new club's leadership group in an impressive first pre-season at Belmore.

"We're really happy to get Jess on board," Jackson said.

"We knew the quality of the player. Playing against him I knew how tough he was and how hard he is to handle, the way he trains, he's flat stick at everything he does, never whinges about anything, just gets the job done.

"He's in our leadership group and going to be a great leader for us. I think he's going to have a big year."

Pressed on any further surprises to the round one team, Jackson hinted that the right edge combination he formed with Kerrod Holland and Reimis Smith last year may get a revamp.

"There might be a few changes but I'll keep those up my sleeve," he smiled.

"The last six weeks of [2018] we started getting those combinations together and found a good style of footy that works for us and we've built on that the whole pre-season. It's a lot less structured to how we started last year and really suits us a lot better I think. The focus is more on building combinations with your edge."

As to whether a fit-again Kieran Foran would slot straight in for the departed Matt Frawley on the right edge, Jackson said it would be dictated more by a style of play that would hand the reins to Lachlan Lewis and allow Foran to return to his running-focused style that brought so much success in his time at Manly.

"Lewy will play on the ball and direct the team a bit more and that will leave Foz to run the ball and have a bit more freedom," Jackson said.

"I think Foz's greatest strength is his running game and his ability to take on the line. When he was playing last year before he got injured he was on the ball trying to direct the whole team but I think that's Lachie's strength, he's really good at directing the team and he really enjoys doing it as well. That will be his role this year."

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
That's a solid 6 + 3 = 9, can dish out plenty of pain on the opposition, in offence and defence. Plus if any of them slacken off there's a bunch of guys more than willing to take their spot.

Cross CHN off the centre guessing.

Go Dogs

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
So..

6. Foran
7. Lewis
8. Tolman
9. Lichaa
10. Napa
11. Jackaon
12. RFM
13. Elliot

14. JMK
15. Sue
16. Fualalo
17. CHN

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/03/11/versatility-gets-corey-harawira-naera-the-nod-over-rhyse-martin/

Bulldogs skipper Josh Jackson has praised the versatility, work ethic and competitiveness of recruit Corey Harawira-Naera, who is set to tip breakout 2018 star Rhyse Martin out of an NRL jersey in coach Dean Pay's round one team to face the Warriors.

Jackson said that with himself and fit-again Kiwi Test forward Raymond Faitala-Mariner eyeing off probable 80-minute roles as edge forwards, the team's round one bench would feature two props, one utility and the ex-Panther, who can cover back row, centre and prop.

"There's been good competition over the pre-season and it lifts the intensity of the sessions so it's been great," Jackson told NRL.com.

"The way it will look this weekend, we'll have Adam [Elliott] starting at lock, Ray and myself on the edges, Aiden [Tolman] and [Dylan] Napa starting up front then we'll have Jesse [Sue], Corey, Danny [Fualalo] and Jeremy Marshall-King on the bench.

"Corey's been great for us and he's a really handy player to have because he can play anywhere on the field. He can play on the edge, he can play in the centres, he can play in the middle of the field too so he's got really good versatility."

Bulldogs forward Corey Harawira-Naera. [emoji2398]Gregg Porteous/NRL Photos
The reduction in interchanges in recent years meant the way coaches used their benches has evolved, he added.

"With eight interchanges, you want to rotate your middles and leave your edges out there for as long as possible," he said.

"That's why [Harawira-Naera] is good, he's a very selfless player, he'll play in the middle even though he hasn't played there too much before. I'd imagine that will be his role unless there's some injuries.

"He's been fantastic, his training has been really good, he's a real skilful player. Watching him in the Canberra trial he's very physical as well so that's probably where Deano got the idea to throw him in the middle. He was hitting pretty hard. He's going to have a big year for us.

"I think that's probably a strength of ours is our forward pack and trying to play them through the middle."

Jackson also had plenty of praise for another recruit, former Wests Tigers prop Sauaso 'Jesse' Sue, who had earned himself a spot in his new club's leadership group in an impressive first pre-season at Belmore.

"We're really happy to get Jess on board," Jackson said.

"We knew the quality of the player. Playing against him I knew how tough he was and how hard he is to handle, the way he trains, he's flat stick at everything he does, never whinges about anything, just gets the job done.

"He's in our leadership group and going to be a great leader for us. I think he's going to have a big year."

Pressed on any further surprises to the round one team, Jackson hinted that the right edge combination he formed with Kerrod Holland and Reimis Smith last year may get a revamp.

"There might be a few changes but I'll keep those up my sleeve," he smiled.

"The last six weeks of [2018] we started getting those combinations together and found a good style of footy that works for us and we've built on that the whole pre-season. It's a lot less structured to how we started last year and really suits us a lot better I think. The focus is more on building combinations with your edge."

As to whether a fit-again Kieran Foran would slot straight in for the departed Matt Frawley on the right edge, Jackson said it would be dictated more by a style of play that would hand the reins to Lachlan Lewis and allow Foran to return to his running-focused style that brought so much success in his time at Manly.

"Lewy will play on the ball and direct the team a bit more and that will leave Foz to run the ball and have a bit more freedom," Jackson said.

"I think Foz's greatest strength is his running game and his ability to take on the line. When he was playing last year before he got injured he was on the ball trying to direct the whole team but I think that's Lachie's strength, he's really good at directing the team and he really enjoys doing it as well. That will be his role this year."
I think the Bit about Lewis was my take away. Pretty obvious that He was always going to run the team this year.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
hel offer great impact off the bench. Top player..has Martin well covered. Elliots lucky to start but at least this way we have impact

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
I don’t get fualao there? I’d rather Ogden and Martin. I get he’s a prop but he’s a average at best so far.

Ogden is a prop with more promise.

Martin could play off bench too with tolman punching so many minutes and moving rfm or Elliott forward for a short spell if need be

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Happy with that at this stage, have to see what our new signing has to offer!! Maybe he will impress..!! Good luck to him.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Media always must be first with everything. To me it's a guess. It may come true but not sure why they couldn't wait 24 hours for team lists

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Media always must be first with everything. To me it's a guess. It may come true but not sure why they couldn't wait 24 hours for team lists
It's quotes from Jackson's interview

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Fualolo has apparently impressed a lot through the pre-season. It's going to be interesting seeing who makes each position their own this year. I hope we see a competitive team that improves every week. There's no reason to believe we're going to hover low on the ladder except the opinions of naysayers.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Fualolo is underrated on here. He is a big unit and has been hitting the line in training. He didnt do that so much last season.
I think he may prove to be a handful for most teams.

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fualolo is underrated on here. He is a big unit and has been hitting the line in training. He didnt do that so much last season.
For me his biggest issue was errors. He seems to have gotten that out of his game more. But I'm also a big fan of Ogden... and Tualalo.. and Chris Smith... and Martin. Too many good forwards. Again Deano, why did you buy CHN?

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
yeah id like to see Smith instead of JMK and anyone over Fualalo... Danny just rubs me the wrong way as he was one of Desmonds players that always seemed to get a run despite his form.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
CHN should get big minutes. Mariner should move into middles when Elliot or Napa comes off

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I’m not a fan of Foran but those that are how long do we expect him to survive if he’s running at the line like last year ? I hope he’s fit for the season but his injury record and the way he plays I can’t see it happening.

Like others have said solids lineup so far. Interested to see how the back 5 look though.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
For me his biggest issue was errors. He seems to have gotten that out of his game more. But I'm also a big fan of Ogden... and Tualalo.. and Chris Smith... and Martin. Too many good forwards. Again Deano, why did you buy CHN?
Because CHN can cover centre, lock, 2nd row and prop off the bench and have an impact in all of those positions. None of the others can do that and with only 4 on the bench versatility is important. Plus it may well get even more important next season with the interchange likely to be reduced from the current 8.

Go Dogs