Rhys Martin might start the season in reserve grade

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Lichaa played 80 under des, and was terrible. Did nothing.
I don’t agree with this system, but pay is working with what he has.
We’re in the market for a hooker, which means they’ve identified it as a weakness. But for now we have to compromise.
It is a weak area for us for sure we need a real hooker. I don't know if Lichaa has any improvement left in him.

JMK does bring some spark from the bench and I get why he is there.

I'm wondering if JMK could be developed into an 80 min hooker. Can't forget about Nu Brown either, he might end up there later on.

Last edited:

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It is a weak area for us for sure. I don't know if Lichaa has any improvement left in him.

JMK does bring some spark from the bench and I get why he is there.

I'm wondering if JMK could be developed into an 80 min hooker. Can't forget about Nu Brown either, he might end up there later on.
It’s a sad irony that the most damaging hooker in the club, is also one of our best outside backs.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't know if Lichaa has any improvement left in him.
My questions is not does "he have it in him", I've seen enough games or more correctly parts of games where he has shown quite a high level of skill/talent/ability etc. He just doesn't produce it often enough or regularly enough. He doesn't seem injury prone and it's not solely endurance related as he can be good early in one game and then horrible early in the next game. That only leaves application, he just doesn't apply himself to the high level expected of an NRL hooker. He looks to train hard and isn't unfit by any stretch. It's just like he gets lost in the game, that maybe everything is happening too fast around him and he gets overwhelmed. That should be coachable, both for him personally and the players around him being coached how to help him from being overwhelmed.

He's had decent coaches, plenty of them, and pretty good captains on the field, so this year is really it for him, he needs to produce regularly or his NRL career is over.

Go Dogs

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
My questions is not does "he have it in him", I've seen enough games or more correctly parts of games where he has shown quite a high level of skill/talent/ability etc. He just doesn't produce it often enough or regularly enough. He doesn't seem injury prone and it's not solely endurance related as he can be good early in one game and then horrible early in the next game. That only leaves application, he just doesn't apply himself to the high level expected of an NRL hooker. He looks to train hard and isn't unfit by any stretch. It's just like he gets lost in the game, that maybe everything is happening too fast around him and he gets overwhelmed. That should be coachable, both for him personally and the players around him being coached how to help him from being overwhelmed.

He's had decent coaches, plenty of them, and pretty good captains on the field, so this year is really it for him, he needs to produce regularly or his NRL career is over.

Go Dogs
Sounds like it's a mental thing. Maybe he could try that stuff Fittler bangs on about.

If he could deliver quick clean ball consistently I would be happy. It's a hookers bread and butter.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like it's a mental thing. Maybe he could try that stuff Fittler bangs on about.

If he could deliver quick clean ball consistently I would be happy. It's a hookers bread and butter.
He better aim this year,
We keep talking about potential and how good a junior player
Need to see top service every week for the full 80
Now or never

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
He better aim this year,
We keep talking about potential and how good a junior player
Need to see top service every week for the full 80
Now or never
Most definitely.

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The CHN purchase still puzzles me ......
He is our longest signed up backrower. He was signed up so we could let others go. Martin only likes signing one year contracts so cant build future around him. Chn is a genuine first grader unlike some of our backrowers with youth on his side. Elliot, martin, c smith still need to improve a couple of areas imo to cement a first grade spot. Chn has alot more points in him than blokes like elliot, smith, sue, and others. I reckon thats why they brought him here. With foz and lewis out there i see the most points being scored by our star backrow rfm, chn, and jacko since sbw days. I hope

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Martin was superb last year with the boot,You have to admit that! So just having him in their may prove value. Don’t get me wrong, Dutch is not too bad either and I’m sure we may have other diamonds in the rough to take the goal kicking duties obviously...but I would be happy for Martin to start an keep his spot if that’s how it played out (based on a consistent game by game effort/performance) if am when he gets the nod...!!

Doggs 4 Lyf.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
He is our longest signed up backrower. He was signed up so we could let others go. Martin only likes signing one year contracts so cant build future around him. Chn is a genuine first grader unlike some of our backrowers with youth on his side. Elliot, martin, c smith still need to improve a couple of areas imo to cement a first grade spot. Chn has alot more points in him than blokes like elliot, smith, sue, and others. I reckon thats why they brought him here. With foz and lewis out there i see the most points being scored by our star backrow rfm, chn, and jacko since sbw days. I hope
but we were weak in the centres or wing not the backrow .. I hope they prove me wrong and he turns out to be purchase of the offseason .. we haven't had much luck lately buying marque forwards from other clubs (i.e Woods and T-rex) we always work better with home grown forwards.

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
One from left field, does anyone think Martin could be converted to a hooker? He could then be on the bench in a Piggy Riddell type roll.
His strengths being goal kicking, support play, running a good line.
His defence would improve from being in the middle as opposed to an edge where he needs to make more decisions and defensive reads.
He has a good offload and pass but whether that translates to a dummy half game I don't know.
Thoughts?

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
but we were weak in the centres or wing not the backrow .. I hope they prove me wrong and he turns out to be purchase of the offseason .. we haven't had much luck lately buying marque forwards from other clubs (i.e Woods and T-rex) we always work better with home grown forwards.
CHN is from what I saw last year a far superior backrower to Martin. He runs better lines and doesn’t make the same lapses in defence Martin does. He has better lateral movement too which is why he can cover the centres if needed. I think Martin is good but has a lot of areas of his game to work on. His goal kicking seems to overshadow those issues for some people.
Martin for me is still better than Elliott and should start at lock.

Mr. Ditkovich

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
One from left field, does anyone think Martin could be converted to a hooker? He could then be on the bench in a Piggy Riddell type roll.
His strengths being goal kicking, support play, running a good line.
His defence would improve from being in the middle as opposed to an edge where he needs to make more decisions and defensive reads.
He has a good offload and pass but whether that translates to a dummy half game I don't know.
Thoughts?
You’re wrong, it’s not left field. It never left the field because it never entered it in the first place.

Bad joke aside, I doubt he would be a good hooker, even an average one. I’d prefer JMK over him at hooker.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
CHN is from what I saw last year a far superior backrower to Martin. He runs better lines and doesn’t make the same lapses in defence Martin does. He has better lateral movement too which is why he can cover the centres if needed. I think Martin is good but has a lot of areas of his game to work on. His goal kicking seems to overshadow those issues for some people.
Martin for me is still better than Elliott and should start at lock.
I'm not denying that CHN looked great last year, but was he a necessity ?? or was a centre more of a priority.. we had enough stock in the back row to make do ..

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

I think his service was actually pretty crisp last weekend. Certainly looked improved.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think his service was actually pretty crisp last weekend. Certainly looked improved.
He did play well last week,looked a tad quicker because of his weight loss
We just need M.L to pump out 80 min every game and not drop off
I would luv to see him crack it in 2019

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not denying that CHN looked great last year, but was he a necessity ?? or was a centre more of a priority.. we had enough stock in the back row to make do ..
I’m with you on this,not upset to have him and I’ll back CHN now a dog
A regular top grade centre would have been nice