Wests Tigers salary cap breach - CEO facing deregistration.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'm sure any cap space taken off the tigers will just be given to the Roosters.

Funny how the power clubs never get scrutinised in the same way... The rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

Greenberg probably did this so that the Tigers have to shed players like we did and then the Roosters can pounce and make it seem like they got everyone cheap to fit under their sombrero

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Must be a fire sale at the Tigers now

Esarn Masters thanks

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Tigers will just offload fringe / older players. Not a chance they'll release someone like Marsters:
A combination of Chris McQueen, Chris Lawrence (getting on), Corey Thompson, and Mahe Fonua, or maybe even just Josh Reynolds (on $750k a season), Benji Marshall, or Robbie Farah.

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tigers will just offload fringe / older players. Not a chance they'll release someone like Marsters:
A combination of Chris McQueen, Chris Lawrence (getting on), Corey Thompson, and Mahe Fonua, or maybe even just Josh Reynolds (on $750k a season), Benji Marshall, or Robbie Farah.
Which club is going to put any of them players on any where near that money mr i in there last remainig top 30 spots. Wouldnt they have to offload someone that a club is willing to pay for, for them to get there cap actually down ? Please i want to see them eat shit for letting us take woods. We really have returned serve to the tigers though now big time.

Daustin

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
geez mbye must be love being at a club looking to offload players due to salary cap issues again

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Which club is going to put any of them players on any where near that money mr i in there last remainig top 30 spots. Wouldnt they have to offload someone that a club is willing to pay for, for them to get there cap actually down ? Please i want to see them eat shit for letting us take woods. We really have returned serve to the tigers though now big time.
What's the bet they offload and Knights pick them up with their new trillion dollar cap.

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Who they need to offload depends on a few factors.
1. Unsuccessful appeal, no reduction in penalty.
2. Successful appeal which reduces penalty.
3. Current salary cap space and squad size for 2019.

It's hard to see the NRLol reducing the penalty as they seemingly need to appear to be in control. If that assumption is right then the Tigers 2019 salary cap is reduced by 639k.
Let's say they have hypothetically 300k left in the cap for 2019.
They have 28 players on the books (1 being Zane Musgrove who is facing assault charges) for 2019 and as per NRL rules they need 29 by round 1 and 30 by June 30.
That leaves them needing to add a player and reduce their cap by 339k to be salary cap compliant.
Minimum wage for an NRL Top 30 player in 2019 is 105k.
They will need to offload a player on 550k a year and then sign 2 players on minimum wage to be compliant. That's only if Zane Musgrove is cleared to play, unlikely though right?
The question for the Tigers are which players on 550k or more can they shop around and have the receiving club take the full freight of the players salary.
Looking at their squad there's only a handful of players who would (at a guess) fit the bill - Matulino, Nofoaluma, Taylor, Reynolds, Mbye, Brooks, Packer.
Good luck to them.....

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Who they need to offload depends on a few factors.
1. Unsuccessful appeal, no reduction in penalty.
2. Successful appeal which reduces penalty.
3. Current salary cap space and squad size for 2019.

It's hard to see the NRLol reducing the penalty as they seemingly need to appear to be in control. If that assumption is right then the Tigers 2019 salary cap is reduced by 639k.
Let's say they have hypothetically 300k left in the cap for 2019.
They have 28 players on the books (1 being Zane Musgrove who is facing assault charges) for 2019 and as per NRL rules they need 29 by round 1 and 30 by June 30.
That leaves them needing to add a player and reduce their cap by 339k to be salary cap compliant.
Minimum wage for an NRL Top 30 player in 2019 is 105k.
They will need to offload a player on 550k a year and then sign 2 players on minimum wage to be compliant. That's only if Zane Musgrove is cleared to play, unlikely though right?
The question for the Tigers are which players on 550k or more can they shop around and have the receiving club take the full freight of the players salary.
Looking at their squad there's only a handful of players who would (at a guess) fit the bill - Matulino, Nofoaluma, Taylor, Reynolds, Mbye, Brooks, Packer.
Good luck to them.....
That's probably the answer. Musgrove released or terminated from the club. They'll add up to the 30 using fringe NRL players.

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
That's probably the answer. Musgrove released or terminated from the club. They'll add up to the 30 using fringe NRL players.
I'm sure I read somewhere that his contract hadn't been registered with the NRL yet though. I don't think he'd be on too much either, maybe 200kish

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Haha they deserve what they cop . That ambassador role for Farah was to induce him to leave the club , I thought at the time when they announced it , that it was a Rort
My only issue is the incompetent NRL should have hammered them at the time . It was not like they made a big media fuss .

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Still disgraceful that these clubs didnt lose points but if its the dogs take off points

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Still disgraceful that these clubs didnt lose points but if its the dogs take off points
True but $680k is a big hit to their salary cap for next season.
That guy Farrar is like a like a family member always asking to borrow money when he earns more than you do!!
Other players in the squad must be feed up with the ****.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
It certainly was not. He openly admitted that's the reason he went to the Roosters. Bloody tight-ass is getting $1,000,000+ per season and couldn't even fork out $30,000 for pay for something that HE would use post Rugby League.

https://www.triplem.com.au/story/ho...aled-cooper-cronks-move-to-the-roosters-66688
Under salary cap rules tertiary education is exempt from the salary cap.

Is any remuneration excluded?

In addition to allowances, the following benefits to players are excluded:

- Tertiary education (TAFE and university).
- Approved Traineeships.
- Medical insurance costs.
- Reasonable Relocation and temporary accommodation costs.
- Payments from representative games and events such as All Stars.
- Prize money