Why has the board decided to write off 2019?

Status
Not open for further replies.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
What is the point of buying players for next season only to have to sell them again. 2020 is our problem year. I wrote about it in detail in another post a few days ago. We have our most expensive players all coming off contract on what any of us would assume would be heavily back ended contracts, if history is anything to go off. Klemmer, Foran, Jackson, Hoppa, Tolman, and Elliot all off contract. My estimates would be $6-7m just for those players.

We can't spend money next year. Simple. Frontloading is the only option.
6-7 millon on Hoppa Tolman Elliott Klemmer Foran & Jacko .. thats hilarious

Media values had Tolman on 400K, Jacko 600K , Hoppa 500K, Elliot who knows?

How do they all earn 1.25million on your books

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score

Elliot should be $200k.

Hot Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
It's called back ended contracts. Is Eastwood on $800k this year? Yes. Is Graham on $1m this year, of which we are still paying $500k. Yes. Are the Morris boys on $900k this year. Yes. What makes you believe that the others are not all on similar contracts? If you sign someone on $2m for 3 years and you only pay them $400k for years 1 and 2, then what does that leave for year 3? $1.2m. It is clear with 14 of our current squad off contract in 2020 that there will be some back ending pain. The proof is there that this is how we signed players during the previous era. Simple maths guys.

Even Eilliot. Let's go with $200k, which we all know he is being paid more, but anyway. Pay him $100k for first 2 years and that leaves $400k in 2020. And yes I believe every one of our contracts signed by Des and Dib was back ended.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yes the inside word came from here.
The Q & A with the board.
Given Klemmer is our only genuine star and he thinks he's getting underpaid where is our cap going?
Who are we spending it on?
So you don't think the club is sitting on it's hands about next season?
I was a big advocate for getting Foran, but so far that gamble has failed and nobody including Foran himself could be confident that his body will be right next season.
As it stands now for 2019 we have the weakest most inexperienced squad in the NRL by a country mile.
And
Hopoate/Meade
Foran
Lewis/Cogger
Lichaa/JMK/Brown
Potential to improve from this season yes, good enough to challenge for the premiership nooooo...
I can't help but feel money is being held back (i.e. front loading contracts) so that there is a big bucket of money there to recruit players when Ben Anderson is appointed Coach.
The Q and A with the board said we had $500k to sign 5 players. We've let Mbye and Woods go but still contributing to their salary. So say (and this is purely speculation) we've freed up $500k each that gives us $1.5million for 7 players. This is hardly a war chest - it's one decent player and 6 average ones or 7 x $200k players (and we all know the type of players you get for that money).

You've also pointed out a player in Foran who we're probably massively overpaying. We're stuck with him for years to come. If the club manager to medically retire him they will have achieved something major.

I've got no clue about Ben Anderson's coaching ability but if he's more of the same then the board are going to face one mighty backlash (jobs for the boys).

kaluah8123

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We got word on here during the week that the club is in fact well under the cap for next season and is front loading contracts.
Effectively making a deliberate decision not the strengthen the squad next season, maybe at the margin with the signing of fringe 1st graders.
I somewhat praise the board for not going after name players for next year. If you like the new board and have faith in what they are doing then there might be a couple names for 2020 they have eyes on.

There are a couple ways of looking at it but would you prefer a competitive team that Make the 8 next year or a real contender for 2020.
I think it all comes down to Foran. He plays to the potential he had and leads us to a premiership ( I’ll take bets with anyone this won’t happen) or he medically retires. He takes up too much cap room and any side with a passenger on 1m per year won’t be a contender.

Cheers for the info on the front loading of contracts.

Hot Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

In 2020 we have what would be considered our most experienced and hence most expensive players all off contract. For some it is most likely also their last contract and they have been loyal to the club so that would also most likely mean extra overs.

My estimates are as follows:

- Klemmer. 4 year deal ending in 2020 worth $3m. So should look like $750k per season but more likely $400k x 3, with a back-ended deal of $1.8m (scary number)
- Jackson. similar if not exactly the same as Klemmer
- Tolman. $450k per season deal back-ended looks like $200k, $250k, then $900k
- Foran. $800k, $1m, $1.2M
- Hoppa. 3 years $2m (remember he was at Parra for $900k a season). Looks like $400k, $400k, and $1.2m
- Elliot. 3 years $1.2m. $200k, $200k, $800k.

This is how.

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We got word on here during the week that the club is in fact well under the cap for next season and is front loading contracts.
Effectively making a deliberate decision not the strengthen the squad next season, maybe at the margin with the signing of fringe 1st graders.
The club isn't going to announce to the NRL world that they are still struggling with the Salary Cap.

Though they know you are, that's why Newcastle are asking about Klemmer.

Starts rumour that Klemmer is wanting to leave to go to Newcastle.

M4cca

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What quality centres, hookers and props are available going into next year? Would rather the club be patient and make sure they have money available for when big names are off contract

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Given we are now well under the salary cap for 2019 why isn't rhe board out signing a big hard running lock/prop, a fast strong centre/fullback and most importantly a football smart No.9.
Instead we are forward loading contracts??? And not adding anything to the strength of the squad for 2019.
As it stands now we will start next season as short priced favorites for the wooden spoon.
Patience. I know its a hard thing to have in this place, but seriously....

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
In 2020 we have what would be considered our most experienced and hence most expensive players all off contract. For some it is most likely also their last contract and they have been loyal to the club so that would also most likely mean extra overs.

My estimates are as follows:

- Klemmer. 4 year deal ending in 2020 worth $3m. So should look like $750k per season but more likely $400k x 3, with a back-ended deal of $1.8m (scary number)
- Jackson. similar if not exactly the same as Klemmer
- Tolman. $450k per season deal back-ended looks like $200k, $250k, then $900k
- Foran. $800k, $1m, $1.2M
- Hoppa. 3 years $2m (remember he was at Parra for $900k a season). Looks like $400k, $400k, and $1.2m
- Elliot. 3 years $1.2m. $200k, $200k, $800k.

This is how.
I appreciate Your putting in a whole lot of effort in it but without snyone knowing exact nos theres too many variables..

From club to members they said e had over 500K to spend next year on 5 players before Woods & Mbye left so its probably best to work off that

We arent in any cap problem but that doesnt guarentee us signing great players either

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I don't think anyone knows the answers just yet.

Be interesting to see if come end of season we have made more recruitment decisions.

Hot Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I appreciate Your putting in a whole lot of effort in it but without snyone knowing exact nos theres too many variables..

From club to members they said e had over 500K to spend next year on 5 players before Woods & Mbye left so its probably best to work off that

We arent in any cap problem but that doesnt guarentee us signing great players either
For 2019. Yes. I am talking about 2020.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't care if the club has $6 M to buy players for 2019, I can't see any Marque player available for 2019.
We do have plenty of young players with potential around the club at present, so why not see how they develop in 2019, a few might surprise.
The club then has a war chest to sign 1 or 2 super stars for the 2020 season and upgrade a few good young ones currently at the club.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don't care if the club has $6 M to buy players for 2019, I can't see any Marque player available for 2019.
We do have plenty of young players with potential around the club at present, so why not see how they develop in 2019, a few might surprise.
The club then has a war chest to sign 1 or 2 super stars for the 2020 season and upgrade a few good young ones currently at the club.
Exactly this, if there is no one in positions we need we should buy for the sake of buying
I'd rather cop it next year and buy the right guys for the right positions
We don't want to be in this position again..

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Because if they don't you can also ride off 2020.

Get control of the cap and we are on our way to stability again.

Status
Not open for further replies.