Morris twins concede Bulldogs’ salary cap situation likely to force them out of the club

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
BRETT and Josh Morris concede they’re unlikely to be in the Belmore kennel next year with Canterbury battling NRL salary cap pressure.
It’s been reported the Bulldogs are struggling to balance their roster and have just $750,000 to spend in their 2019 cap.

Under the former administration and ex-coach Des Hasler, several players had their deals back-ended in search of an elusive premiership.

However that only heaped enormous pressure on the club’s books for 2018 and 2019 with each of the Morris twins on a reported $750,000 for this year.

And with a string of up-and-comers and fringe first-graders including Matt Frawley, Jeremy Marshall-King and Rhyse Martin also off contract, the Morris brothers appear headed for the exit.

“You’d be naive to think you can stay in a place where there is stuff like that going on,” Brett said.

“We understand rugby league these days is a business.”

Asked if he would be angry about being forced out, Brett was philosophical. “Not really to be honest,” Brett said.

“I feel like I’ve had a pretty good career and if it all ended tomorrow I could walk away with my head held high.

“I wouldn’t be offended, it’s not ideal but that’s footy.”

Both Morris twins categorically ruled out retirement but said all other options were open.

That included being forced to different clubs — which would have them potentially playing against each other for the first time since 2014 — or over to the English Super League.

The pair have been outstanding servants for St George Illawarra, Canterbury, NSW and Australia for more than a decade.

Brett has played 223 first-grade games, earned 15 NSW and 18 Australian caps.

While Josh has notched 252 NRL matches and represented NSW and Australia on 14 and six occasions respectively.

“It’s a possibility for sure,” Josh said when asked if he would play elsewhere next year.

“I’ll have to speak to (Brett) and it’s well documented what’s going on. All I can focus on is playing my best footy week in and week out.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...b/news-story/e317c404c740c36531518fb6c827014b

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Doubt any NRL club would be interested in them. They're probably best moving to the UK especially if they want to play together. The depressing part is Holland will most likely take one spot in the back line next year, hopefully Olive can step up.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
End of the day the club has to do what’s best, an if means they are no longer apart of the plans because of cap pressure etc then so be it. We need to rebuild an look toward the future!

Don’t get me wrong , they both great clubman an would love them to stick around another year.. but it is what it is ! It’s business per usual an sometimes things don’t go to plan .

Good luck to them both for the future anyway ! Wish them all the best :grinning:

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
even if they would take the $300,000 we still wouldn't be able to afford them.....the way things look we will be struggling to get 30 players under the cap even with the ones coming off contract, Klem, Mbye, Tolman etc must be on massive dollars over the next two years no doubt heavily backended Dessie specials

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Starting to think the way Hasler fucks salary caps is why we lost so many players that were still under contract while Des Hitler was here...I reckon we shed them to stay under the cap now

Horny Wog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where did the other $50k go from the 800k?

Load of cock breath

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My club just continues to drive nails into my heart.

I can not begin to describe how much I HATE Hasler, Cleal, Castle and Dib for what those ***** did to my club.

To be honest, things I’ve heard about the new board, I’m not overly excited about our prospects with them as well.

I’ll continue to watch our former captain probably win or go close to winning a premiership whilst us fucktards are contributing to his pay.

I haven’t been to a game for so long and to be honest, I have no ambition to these days - and YES, I am a true fan who has been hardcore or nearly 40 years. Never been this depressed about them and that includes Coffs Harbour initial innuendo and our Salary Cap breaches....

Bulldogz82

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Isn't there a long service amount that isn't part of the cap that Josh can get? I'm not too sure how that works if someone can clarify

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our salary cap is improving by the day!! I mean, just a few days ago an article stated we only had $100k now we have $750k...what a bunch of ill-informed reporters purely speculating. Or is this player mangers trying to create noise telling bullshit in the best interest of their clients? Don't read into this shit.
Yes we have big back ended deals but no one is reporting what if we get rid of those players like Eastwood and Morris twins off contract and possibly Tolman freeing a total of $2m-$2.5m? When we do we are in a better position than most.

mr j

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Would you keep them for 300k each?
We should be looking at the future. If any current players are coming off contact the question that should be asked is whether they will still be playing during our next premiership window and assumptions are that we are a good 3-5 years away from that so for that reason only Morris bros should let go.

Horny Wog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Isn't there a long service amount that isn't part of the cap that Josh can get? I'm not too sure how that works if someone can clarify
Can the long service levy be backended?

bells76

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Nope.

Rather play some young wingers on 100-150k and spend the 300k plus on a hooker/etc.
even if they would take the $300,000 we still wouldn't be able to afford them.....the way things look we will be struggling to get 30 players under the cap even with the ones coming off contract, Klem, Mbye, Tolman etc must be on massive dollars over the next two years no doubt heavily backended Dessie specials
exactly spend 600k on these 2 and we have 200k for another 10 players ....

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I think the cap concession is for the whole club, not per player. So, if a club has, say, 3 guys eligible, they only get a total concession of $200k (or whatever it is) instead if $600k.

I know it's been posted on the kennel somewhere when discussing Eastwood or J Moz. Sorry, cbf doing the legwork on phone...

Bulldogz82

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the cap concession is for the whole club, not per player. So, if a club has, say, 3 guys eligible, they only get a total concession of $200k (or whatever it is) instead if $600k.

I know it's been posted on the kennel somewhere when discussing Eastwood or J Moz. Sorry, cbf doing the legwork on phone...
All good thanks mate

Status
Not open for further replies.