Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Kid plays social media game well. Always offering free tickets for fans, supporting other players and doing community shit.

I thought he might have grown up. We will never know re story though.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
To be fair alot of people would like to punch DCE in the face.
Players/people like Hastings need strong senior players/mentors to take them around the corner and beat some sense into them whenever they fuck up. Old school. Do we have anybody who could keep him inline?

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
From a community aspect he seems to be hevily involved in getting out there and doing his part.

I have this feelling he's probably a bit of a joker, and maybe rubs people the wrong way. Maybe it's a case of club culture being incompatible with Hastings than the other way around.

Look at Foran - he's doing great and feels at home with us. Something he has lacked (I'd go as far as saying his entire career).

Sure we can't rehab everyone (Suli/Loko/Ese'ese), but if we try and fail, what do we lose? Frawley and Cleeland are unlikely to be re-signed, so why not take a punt on Hastings in a player swap. We have what Manly need (partners for DCE).

Heck it's that bad in ManlyLand fans are talking about wanting Des or Toovs back!.

They aren’t in a position of power, the other party is. They want to get rid of him we can’t offer two players that’s silly. Even 3. Hastings was linked to us in pre season
I'm thinking to lessen our cap. Get rid of some surplus that won;t be re-signed and is in last year of contract.

To be fair alot of people would like to punch DCE in the face.
Players/people like Hastings need strong senior players/mentors to take them around the corner and beat some sense into them whenever they fuck up. Old school. Do we have anybody who could keep him inline?
Jackson, Tolman, Elliott.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Good article here about him:
http://www.sportingnews.com/au/leag...s-nrl-player-revolt/d6m1rtbvv49y1aoqrsoidwocb
Adam Lucius - Published on Apr. 16, 2018

Even Jackson Hastings admits there are two Jackson Hastings.

“I am very competitive, wear my heart on my sleeve, and it probably shows some bad traits at times with the way I handle myself in situations. Off-field, I am completely different and pretty approachable,” the soon-to-be former Manly utility told The Australian’s Brent Read in February.

That’s certainly the Hastings this writer knows.

The 22-year-old is one of the most approachable players in the game.

Where some players will look at the ground as if offering a hello will drain them of a pint of blood, Jackson always greets you with a warm handshake, a smile, a laugh and gives polite and well-thought-out responses to questions.

So how does this same bloke piss teammates off to the point where they want him out of the club?
At the Dragons he was accused of being a big head before being signing with the Roosters just out of the juniors.
At the Roosters, the word was he didn’t know his place and was a ‘showboater’.

Now struggling Manly have had enough, making no real attempt to keep Hastings after a training ground dust-up with Daly Cherry-Evans.
DCE described it as a ‘lovers’ tiff’ but was furious with the lack of respect, while Trent Barrett was just this side of ballistic.

Hastings has played his last game for the Sea Eagles and is now looking for club number four.

One league identity who knows him well talks of him being ‘a loner who struggles to fit in’.
Another said: ‘He just doesn’t show people respect’.

Hastings accepts that he can rub people up the wrong way and sought out professional help last year in a bid to change perceptions.

“There is a lot of deep-seeded stuff you guys and people in the public wouldn’t know about. Everyone is wired different and reacts different to different situations. It is just about controlling my emotions better.” he told Read.

It appears that journey continues, destination unknown.

If his father wasn't around as he was growing up (much like Foran), maybe that's contributed to some depressive/psychological issues there that he needs help with.

Roosters and Manly aren't clubs one should go to carrying such issues, as we know they don't have a good track record of turning troubled players around. Bulldogs do.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
Reminds me of one of those people who say " Don't you know who I am/ my old man is?" when people ask them who they think they are?
i say that though when im trying to avoid a fight by bluffing, if that doesnt work i just run away

adamsapple

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I'm good mates with a current manly first grader
And he told me a while ago that everyone hates hastings

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I'm good mates with a current manly first grader
And he told me a while ago that everyone hates hastings
Was reported today Manly have been trying to shift him for a while apparently.

Surely that wouldn't do the blokes morale too well when Lachlan Croker is struggling and you've been told to find another club.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Man he must be really unpopular.

I'm sure there are a lot a good blokes playing in the NRL, but there would be a number of dirtbags too... but for your whole team to hate you? That is pretty special.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Depends... I've always seen Manly as having this "with us or against us" culture.

Either you are in the cool group (like at school), or you are an outsider and cast aside.

fiordog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of the rare benefits of the 'No Dickheads' policy. You don't have moments like these (1) disrupting the playing group but more importantly (2) the playing group dictating terms to the coach/club.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Even though Horrie Hastings had not been in his son's life very much, he let everyone know that he backed his son and now hates the club that he once proudly played for.

So much for Roosters culture...he even says that they back you and say they will stand by you but after your usefulness is past they just put you aside.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1690854654313068&id=240608359337712

‘I DON’T HAVE ANY FEELINGS FOR THEM’
KEVIN Hastings spilt blood for his mighty Roosters. A club hall of famer and halfback in Eastern Suburbs’ team of the century.But the passion has gone for ‘Horrie’ Hastings. The Eastern Suburbs legend has had enough of his former club.

Last edited:

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
He needs to have a chat to todd carney about burning club after club

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Another club needs to be willing to take on a problem child with talent for Manly to get through this without paying some of his wage. If it's not just a media blow up about the rest of the squad refusing to play alongside him, it may create a situation where most clubs will be wary of paying reasonable money out for a player who's creating unrest within the squad.

At the same time there are situations where players might be convinced to exploit clubs by behaving poorly to earn early releases. I've got a friend with some links at Brisbane who has told me that Brisbane have convinced players they want to sign to break rules or create situations with their clubs that leave those clubs in a situation where they're willing to release a talented player that is under contract. I'm inclined to think this has a ring of truth to it given a few things that have recently happened where Brisbane profited by picking up (or attempting to pick up) gun players. When Dugan was released after taking photos drinking while on an injury related drinking ban, the Broncos had a contract lined up for him almost immediately. Dugan screwed that up with stupid comments on social media. The same frriend told me that a lot of the things that happened prior to us releasing Barba to them were suggestions from the Broncos on how he could get out of his contract here. So if Hastings wound up heading to Brisbane when the dust settles I wouldn't be surprised.
They will probably play the card relating to breaking club policy/ guidelines etc. or say that the ' lover's tiff' was in no way the fault of their ten million dollar man and that due to his ( Hastings) attitude etc. his position is now untenable..

I agree with you that a club who had its head screwed on correctly or one which had good core values would not look at taking him on; too much hard work but then yes, there is the other where enticement may have taken place. One where perhaps the halves are not performing well or there has been talk of a player not being happy in not being selected in what he thinks is his best/ favoured position.

That is interesting in regards to the Broncos and if there is an truth at all to it that is unconscionable. It makes me wonder just what transpired with the mysterious 300k that was conveniently 'repaid' after Gee resigned from the Broncos, meaning he could not be compelled to testify against them when the NRL came calling. Everything went away after that but the stench of some sort remained in most peoples minds.

Last edited:

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Apparently he was flexing in the mirror saying he was gonna be the next Connor MacGregor in 2016 (roosters). Didn’t come off too well because they were losing.

Seems like a joker that takes it too far.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Jackson Hastings was involved in more than one fight, according to reports
SEA EAGLES

• April 17, 2018 8:43pm
  • by STAFF WRITERS
  • Source: FOX SPORTS

Jackson Hastings is on the outer at Manly. Picture: Gregg PorteousSource: News Corp Australia
JACKSON Hastings may have been involved in as many as three fights at Manly.

Hastings is on the outer at the Sea Eagles after revelations of a player revolt against the utility, with coach Trent Barrett consulting the squad before playing the 22-year-old in reserve grade while the club shops him around.
Rumours surfaced last week of a fight between Hastings and skipper Daly Cherry-Evans in Gladstone with the former claiming it was nothing more than a “lovers’ tiff”.
“It was more than that, it was a fight,” NRL 360 host Paul Kent told the show on Tuesday.

More Hastings biffs?

3:08
“We’re now hearing it might’ve been more than one fight and we’re now hearing it might’ve been more than one player, as many as three other players involved in completely separate incidents with Jackson Hastings.”

Channel Nine reported on Tuesday that Manly had launched an investigation into a second alleged incident involving Cherry-Evans.

“Manly officials are confirming that it was another heated altercation between the pair,” the report said.

Lewis, Reynolds on Hastings

2:06
It’s not the first time Hastings has been involved in clashes with teammates and reportedly left the Sydney Roosters in similar circumstances.

“At some point, this young man has to sit down and hear some uncomfortable truths,” Kent added.

“He then has to make a decision whether he takes the advice, or whether he continues down this track that he’s happy walking down at the moment but is not a fit for the Dragons, the Roosters and the Sea Eagles so far.”

Kent believed the period where Hastings can keep getting chances at other clubs was quickly closing.

Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles player Jackson Hastings.Source: AAP
Kent recalled a bizarre story while Hastings was at the Tricolours.

“I remember talking to guys at the Roosters,” Kent said.

“He was in front of the mirror one day at the Roosters and he was flexing in his little green Speedos and he had his green mouthguard in and he announced to the dressing room he was going to be the next Conor McGregor.

“Now this is at the start of 2016 when the Roosters were 1-6 at the time.

“He was just full of this bravado about who he was and what he was doing, it was totally at odds with the reality.

“The thing that was telling, in cases like that when a young kid gets a bit ahead of himself there’s older blokes who will clip him over the ear and say ‘listen d***head, pull your head in’.”

Ironstine

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
From a community aspect he seems to be hevily involved in getting out there and doing his part.

I have this feelling he's probably a bit of a joker, and maybe rubs people the wrong way. Maybe it's a case of club culture being incompatible with Hastings than the other way around.

Look at Foran - he's doing great and feels at home with us. Something he has lacked (I'd go as far as saying his entire career).

Sure we can't rehab everyone (Suli/Loko/Ese'ese), but if we try and fail, what do we lose? Frawley and Cleeland are unlikely to be re-signed, so why not take a punt on Hastings in a player swap. We have what Manly need (partners for DCE).

Heck it's that bad in ManlyLand fans are talking about wanting Des or Toovs back!.

I'm thinking to lessen our cap. Get rid of some surplus that won;t be re-signed and is in last year of contract.

Jackson, Tolman, Elliott.
Foran was doing great and feeling at home at Manly and won a premiership. Manly have taken plenty of players who were struggling at other clubs and turned their careers around. Hastings must be really bad news not to fit into this team.

Most Manly players from Forans era have been terrible buys for other clubs because they busted themselves up and played above their weight to win for their mates, this includes Foran but hopefully he is not too busted. T-Rex is the exception as he played well below his weight.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.