Australia Day thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Because it's too far and there isn't anything worth bombing?
may be they also never illegally invaded Islamic countries, but yeah we don't want to talk about that. lol

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I find it disrespectful and dispirited to spoil the occasion by constantly talking shit about Australia Day every year.

Negative people just always trying to bring shit down.

It spoils the occasion for everyone
I'll just have to respectfully disagree with you there - I don't think have a discussion around this time each year, is "constantly talking shit" or spoiling the occasion. I just gave the example of my own experience in that I am happy not talk about it now, but on the day I will be celebrating/getting involved. I don't think i'm spoiling anything, just like I don't think discussion the Republic around the Queens Birthday is wrong, to use perhaps a lesser example.

To hopefully bury any hatchet, here is the Aussie flag (and I won't even give my thoughts on changing it. hehe).

PH, I do wish you a Happy Australia Day! (And all Kennelers).

(Edit: I;m wearing my Aussie flag thongs whilst typing this - but i'm not sure if I should be putting the flag on the soles of my feet - of well, its patriotism made in China for $2 :grinning: )

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I'll just have to respectfully disagree with you there - I don't think have a discussion around this time each year, is "constantly talking shit" or spoiling the occasion. I just gave the example of my own experience in that I am happy not talk about it now, but on the day I will be celebrating/getting involved. I don't think i'm spoiling anything, just like I don't think discussion the Republic around the Queens Birthday is wrong, to use perhaps a lesser example.

To hopefully bury any hatchet, here is the Aussie flag (and I won't even give my thoughts on changing it. hehe).

(Edit: I;m wearing my Aussie flag thongs whilst typing this - but i'm not sure if I should be putting the flag on the soles of my feet - of well, its patriotism made in China for $2 :grinning: )

Be respectful

Talk about it after the day
Don't spoil the lead up

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score

pakis wear thongs with indian flags on it too.... but this is how they show their utmost disrespect. lol

When I came to Australia I couldn't believe aussies wearing flags on their feet as an underwear. I was like WTF!

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
pakis wear thongs with indian flags on it too.... but this is how they show their utmost disrespect. lol

When I came to Australia I couldn't believe aussies wearing flags on their feet as an underwear. I was like WTF!
Lol
Some of us love our flag and are passionate about our country and chose to express that passion in all kinds of ways

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

It is quite unusual to many, especially to cultures who consider the feet the lowest part of the body. Originally I'd say wearing the flag like a cape would also be a no no.

When it comes to the flag and hanging it up, there are all sorts of rules. When we are setting up for a citizenship ceremony, the Aussie flag has to be shown a certain way, and on a certain side of other flags, like the state flag, and the coat of arms etc, but not the other. There is like a whole training session on it (trust me, it would bore even the strongest patriot).

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
It is quite unusual to many, especially to cultures who consider the feet the lowest part of the body. Originally I'd say wearing the flag like a cape would also be a no no.

When it comes to the flag and hanging it up, there are all sorts of rules. When we are setting up for a citizenship ceremony, the Aussie flag has to be shown a certain way, and on a certain side of other flags, like the state flag, and the coat of arms etc, but not the other. There is like a whole training session on it (trust me, it would bore even the strongest patriot).
Another great thing about Australia
The fact we are free
Even free enough to wear our flags on our feet

Unfortunately there are still primitive backward countries in the world that would kill people for such freedom.

How great is it we are lucky enough not to live in those backward places

Something to celebrate that's for sure

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Another great thing about Australia
The fact we are free
Even free enough to wear our flags on our feet

Unfortunately there are still primitive backward countries in the world that would kill people for such freedom.

How great is it we are lucky enough not to live in those backward places

Something to celebrate that's for sure
My borther in law has Aussie flag boardies. He wears them in Thailand with pride every time he goes to the beach. Makes me smile when I see him TBH.

I still think wearing the flag as a cape is a bit naff though.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
My borther in law has Aussie flag boardies. He wears them in Thailand with pride every time he goes to the beach. Makes me smile when I see him TBH.

I still think wearing the flag as a cape is a bit naff though.
You are free to think as you please

What ever naff means

I am sure Kathy freeman has her own thoughts on flag wearing

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
You are free to think as you please

What ever naff means

I am sure Kathy freeman has her own thoughts on flag wearing
Cathy Freeman had just won Gold for Australia - she could do whatever the hell she pleased (including waving the aboriginal flag), but you do know the types of cape wearers i'm talking about.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Cathy Freeman had just won Gold for Australia - she could do whatever the hell she pleased (including waving the aboriginal flag), but you do know the types of cape wearers i'm talking about.
No
I'm not sure who you are talking about
Or what naff means

Is naff a good thing?

And Kathy freeman did Australian people proud

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
No
I'm not sure who you are talking about
Or what naff means

Is naff a good thing?

And Kathy freeman did Australian people proud
Sigh. I assume you are being deliberately obtuse for some reason, but here goes:

1. Naff is a word that Australians have used forever, since we adopted it from the English, but Urban dictionary defines it as: "something that is stupid, lame or unpalatable"

2. These are the people I am talking about:

3. I completely agreed with you on Cathy Freeman, but FFS, if you are going to keep going on about her, can you at least spell her name right (that would be showing respect).

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Sigh. I assume you are being deliberately obtuse for some reason, but here goes:

1. Naff is a word that Australians have used forever, since we adopted it from the English, but Urban dictionary defines it as: "something that is stupid, lame or unpalatable"

3. I completely agreed with you on Cathy Freeman, but FFS, if you are going to keep going on about her, can you at least spell her name right (that would be showing respect).
Point taken regarding the spelling

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Point taken regarding the spelling
Great, now i'm off for a cup of milo and some vegemite on toast for brekkie - pretty Aussie. (I really am, i'm a big hungover and its a good pick me up)

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I just don't get the importance of Australia day. To me it's a public holiday and a day off work woohoo hoooio

As i said in my initial post I'm appreciative 365 days a year.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

Regards point 2

So white Australian flag wearing is your issue and Pauline Hansen wearing it

Right

Weird to think that is naff

But you are free to that opinion

Gee you do well at expressing all that you find naff about Australia in the week of Australia Day celebrating

Kills you to think of or discuss anything positive doesn't it

Like your freedom

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Regards point 2

So white Australian flag wearing is your issue and Pauline Hansen wearing it

Right

Weird to think that is naff

But you are free to that opinion

Gee you do well at expressing all that you find naff about Australia in the week of Australia Day celebrating

Kills you to think of or discuss anything positive doesn't it

Like your freedom
He's referring to the stereotype of how those people behave

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I just don't get the importance of Australia day. To me it's a public holiday and a day off work woohoo hoooio

As i said in my initial post I'm appreciative 365 days a year.
Same can be said for any day that gets celebrated

Just because you don't get it
Doesn't make it not worth celebrating for those who do get it.

So if you don't get it, perhaps your input here is limited

Status
Not open for further replies.