Matty Johns launches blistering NRL attack

Status
Not open for further replies.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
MATTY Johns hasn’t missed in his assessment of the Bulldogs’ start to 2017.

Canterbury sits 13th on the NRL ladder after four rounds this season, winning just one game so far. But it has been the manner in which the Dogs have lost that is most concerning to fans — a 36-0 thumping at the hands of Manly on Saturday showing just how far the club has fallen.

Canterbury has not missed the finals since Des Hasler joined the club in 2012, but Johns cannot see that trend continuing in 2017, saying the Bulldogs have real problems they must address immediately.

“After five minutes of watching the Bulldogs with the football (against Manly) I came to the conclusion, ‘They’re not going to score a point,’” Johns said on Triple M’s The Grill Team.

“Just the skill level, the most basic fundamentals, the catch and pass is so clunky.

“Watching them play, after five minutes I had no doubt Manly were going to win, because there wasn’t enough skill, imagination or creativity in the Bulldogs side.”

Des Hasler continues to feel the heat given the Bulldogs’ performances. Despite taking the club to two grand finals in five seasons at the helm, some are ready to call time on his tenure at Belmore.

But Johns says sacking Des Hasler will not fix the Bulldogs’ issues because the players just aren’t performing up to NRL standard.

Johns feels Canterbury does not have the star power in key areas to match it with the best in the competition at the moment.

“My problem with the Bulldogs is this. At the start of the season I couldn’t have them in my finals,” Johns said. “They can’t get there and it has nothing to do with Des. The fact is they haven’t got enough creativity and they haven’t got enough skill in the team.

“If you sack Des Hasler and you put another coach in will the Bulldogs improve? My thoughts are no they won’t because they haven’t got the cattle in the creative positions.

“The problem’s got to do with the players they’ve got in key positions and until that is addressed they can sack as many coaches as they want.”

Reports emerged on the weekend the Bulldogs are chasing off-contract Wests Tigers stars James Tedesco, Aaron Woods, Mitchell Moses and Luke Brooks.

Capturing the so called “Big Four” would be the biggest coup since the Parramatta Eels lured Jim Dymock, Jason Smith, Dean Pay and Jarrod McCracken away from the Bulldogs in 1995.

But Johns says the Bulldogs have no choice but to try something drastic in their recruitment and fill the void that remains in their creative positions.

“There’s talk around that they’re chasing the Tigers’ ‘Big Four’ then maybe something will start to happen,” Johns said.

“From what I’m hearing they’re offering Mitchell Moses huge money and the same for Tedesco.

“Des did what he could to try and get Kieran Foran. Kieran decided to go back to New Zealand, but at the moment they can’t attract anyone.”

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/ma...k/news-story/3adf4141076476492234df3625c813bc

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Interesting........ end of the day. Des chose this team. Maybe not exactly how he wanted it but regardless....

The players have to step up and be interested or axe them.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Johns sticking up for his mate Hasler. Who's at fault here for not having the right cattle? Who's responsible for assembling this reserve grade standard team?

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
If Matty Johns and Des werent best mates, i wonder if he would have come up with that fkn garbage he wrote.... Des hand built this shit team... Kevin Moore built a better squad and had better recruitment drive then Hasler has as well as bringing in youngsters....

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Des did better with the team he inherited from Moore than the current squad he put together ffs. It IS Des' fault.

Our squad isn't skillful enough? Well that's what happens when you play one of the most negative styles of football in years and not develop the players.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Des did better with the team he inherited from Moore than the current squad he put together ffs. It IS Des' fault.

Our squad isn't skillful enough? Well that's what happens when you play one of the most negative styles of football in years and not develop the players.
Who would have thought a team where the coach has thrown the bulk of the salary cap at forwards would lack skill?

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Take out Mbye and Reynold and swap them with ANY OTHER halves combo in the NRL and we'd be killing the competition.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Take out Mbye and Reynold and swap them with ANY OTHER halves combo in the NRL and we'd be killing the competition.

like we did with ennis ...what a great hooker he was under Des

oh wait.

Last edited:

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Who would have thought a team where the coach has thrown the bulk of the salary cap at forwards would lack skill?
And on forwards that can't even run a good hard line.

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score

You put in Cronk and Thurston and play Des style of footy and we would still struggle (if they were allowed to run the team themselves different story). Which other team in the comp when its 5th tackle has their prop at first receiver, which other teams halves touch tihe ball once or twice max when attacking other teams try line. Which other teams halves are taught to pass sideways without running at the line. We play a forward based attack which is so basic and negative. We dont have any xfactor players, we dont have backs who can create something out of nothing, i could go on and on...

Bulldog_NJ

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What these so called experts fail to understand is that Des has been at the Dogs since 2012 it's 2017 now. Des has the team that Des built. 5 years of recruitment and retention failure. 5 years to fail to develop our halves. 5 years to strip the culture away from the place. 5 years to coach instinct and talent out of players. 5 years to fail to land any decent signings. The Des experiment has failed. Sack him and move on.

timetopisshasleroff

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Nice copout monkey boy.(johns)
He has had 5 preseasons to build the best squad he can. Couldnt sign a decent 1,6,7,9 in that time.
Time to send mullet head back over the spit for good.
Mmmmbbbyyyyeeeee

M4cca

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We need to land a big name half and fullback for next year simple as that. Both reynolds and mbye don't have the natural instincts of a top half. You can be critical of des' structure the last few years but everyone bagging him for signing mbye is a bit rich when 90% of this site wanted him signed at the time to avoid another thurston situation. Easy to criticise in hindsight

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Can't stand either of the Johns brothers. Amazing how he knew we weren't going to score a point but says it after the game is done. And my heart breaks for Hasler who has no creative players yet he built the squad.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
We need to land a big name half and fullback for next year simple as that. Both reynolds and mbye don't have the natural instincts of a top half. You can be critical of des' structure the last few years but everyone bagging him for signing mbye is a bit rich when 90% of this site wanted him signed at the time to avoid another thurston situation. Easy to criticise in hindsight

3 years ago, we had a shit hooker who couldnt provide us good service from dummy half, couldnt kick grubbers if his life was dependent on it, and was holding the team back. Next minute, Dally M hooker of the year , the minute after that premiership ring, BOOM!

i am getting sick of "we dont have the cattle" garbage

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Interesting........ end of the day. Des chose this team. Maybe not exactly how he wanted it but regardless....

The players have to step up and be interested or axe them.
I completely agree
Time for complete clean out
Des has to fall on his sword for the position we are now in

And massive player changes are a must

Yet another rebuilding stage

Status
Not open for further replies.