60 Minutes crew arrested after Child Abduction attempt in Lebanon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
It's fucken ironic of a man/culture who holds their own mother in the highest regard and would committ mortal sin to honor her name yet turn around and treat the mother of his children like a piece of garbage letting her rot in prison .

i think he has already released her of all charges. keep also in mind the man would be upset with her cos she hired a kidnap crew to get the children away from him who also threw his mother on the ground in the process.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Of course you can kidnap your own children ! If he's a citizen of Lebanon, then his kids are too.
So it stands to reason that the Lebanese legal system would aim to prosecute crimes against Lebanese people.
Just as we would have charged him with kidnapping if he ever came back to Australia.

..just like you can rape your own wife as per australian law.

Izy

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
So every day, on various threads people post derogatory comments about all sorts of things/people/groups and take threads off topic to suit themselves and their prejudices ... and you seek to censor this thread for going off topic?

OK.
The report button is not a fashion statement. Anyone who seems offended by any statement can use it.
I so happen to be reading that thread at that time.
Thank you. :grinning:

Izy

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nope he is insisting charges be pressed.

Messy custody battle is messy as two courts ruled two different ways.

The Australian media is trying to paint her as the innocent party here, but I'm sure there is much more to it.

She's been on ACA before now, and we are only hearing her side of the story, not his.

Besides, what sort of mother dumps her newborn toddler (with current partner) to head overseas to illegally abduct her children and bring them home??

Zero sympathy here. Do the crime, do the time..
Finally some common-sense.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score

The Australian media is trying to paint her as the innocent party here, but I'm sure there is much more to it.

She's been on ACA before now, and we are only hearing her side of the story, not his.

Besides, what sort of mother dumps her newborn toddler (with current partner) to head overseas to illegally abduct her children and bring them home??

Zero sympathy here. Do the crime, do the time.

i am pretty sure i read and heard at few places he is not pressing charges against the mother, cant be bothered to google.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
Well apparently the wife has a partner already and the only reason she wanted her kids back is cause he stoped paying child support .

Lady Emerald

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Always two sides to every story. Its sad that they have to bring the kids into this. In the end, 60 minutes brought it on themselves and that's karma for only telling one side of the story. When you play with fire you get burnt.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score

Zero sympathy here. Do the crime, do the time.
I was under the impression that she had custody then he moved back to Lebanon and asked if they could visit on holiday and kept them there. Although that was probably the media's spin on it.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Well apparently the wife has a partner already and the only reason she wanted her kids back is cause he stoped paying child support .
Thats what I read had happened, how could she be receiving child support with no children to take care of though?

Bah you could tell with her sob story video she is a ****
My mum said her video was so fake and her emotion was put on infront of the camera

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I always found the phrase "pressing charges" perplexing.

Don't know about Lebanon, but in Australia, I thought one didn't "press charges" as such - this was the job of the Police/DPP. Of course, whether they charge someone may be influenced by whether the alleged victim is going to be helpful.

When it comes to any Court proceedings and Police dealings, especially as you head down the Corruption Perceptions Index scale, the odds will always be stacked against the foreigner, regardless of who is at fault.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Alright, here's everything I could find on the story:

The mother was given custody of the children in Australia after a long legal battle between the mother and the father. The mother had custody for several years but the father was still looking to get custody back. The mother claims that the father came to Australia and asked if he could take the children on a holiday to Lebanon. The mother agreed, the father took the children to Lebanon then contacted the mother to let her know that he wouldn't be returning the children. The father then had the Lebanese courts confirm his custody of the children.

The mother made many attempts over a year long period to get lawyers to help recover the children but they all said they couldn't help as Lebanon is not part of the Hague convention. The mother raised a petition to ask the Australian government to help but the Australian government ignored the petition. The mother then went to 60 minutes who gave her money for the story and she used this money to hire a recovery team. The other side of this is that Lebanese officials are reporting that members of the recovery team stated that they received payment directly from 60 minutes. It appears that these members have been released after they made the statement. Read what you want into that.

There's two different reports of what happened next:

A) The father hacked the mother's email and saw all the correspondence on what she was planning. Due to this the authorities were able to stop the operation.

B) The mother called the father after the kidnapping to let him know that the kids were safe and the authorities used this call to trace their location

After this they were all arrested. Now due to a bit of dodgyness in the Lebanese judicial system, the Lebanese foreign minister is pushing to release them while ignoring the charges (apparently this happens often in Lebanon) as the foreign minister has good standing with Australia and doesn't want to cause international problems. The father also publicly stated that he does not want to press charges but reports are that he is still pressing charges. The cousin of mother of the father is the speaker of the house of representatives and they are using their standing in the political system to push for maximum penalty.

That's what is being reported. Obviously there is a lot of mixed reporting and he said/she said so it's hard to tell the total truth of it.

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Alright, here's everything I could find on the story:

The mother was given custody of the children in Australia after a long legal battle between the mother and the father. The mother had custody for several years but the father was still looking to get custody back. The mother claims that the father came to Australia and asked if he could take the children on a holiday to Lebanon. The mother agreed, the father took the children to Lebanon then contacted the mother to let her know that he wouldn't be returning the children. The father then had the Lebanese courts confirm his custody of the children.

The mother made many attempts over a year long period to get lawyers to help recover the children but they all said they couldn't help as Lebanon is not part of the Hague convention. The mother raised a petition to ask the Australian government to help but the Australian government ignored the petition. The mother then went to 60 minutes who gave her money for the story and she used this money to hire a recovery team. The other side of this is that Lebanese officials are reporting that members of the recovery team stated that they received payment directly from 60 minutes. It appears that these members have been released after they made the statement. Read what you want into that.

There's two different reports of what happened next:

A) The father hacked the mother's email and saw all the correspondence on what she was planning. Due to this the authorities were able to stop the operation.

B) The mother called the father after the kidnapping to let him know that the kids were safe and the authorities used this call to trace their location

After this they were all arrested. Now due to a bit of dodgyness in the Lebanese judicial system, the Lebanese foreign minister is pushing to release them while ignoring the charges (apparently this happens often in Lebanon) as the foreign minister has good standing with Australia and doesn't want to cause international problems. The father also publicly stated that he does not want to press charges but reports are that he is still pressing charges. The cousin of mother of the father is the speaker of the house of representatives and they are using their standing in the political system to push for maximum penalty.

That's what is being reported. Obviously there is a lot of mixed reporting and he said/she said so it's hard to tell the total truth of it.
I doubt he hacked the email, most likely she hadn't even changed her password since they had been together.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I always found the phrase "pressing charges" perplexing.

Don't know about Lebanon, but in Australia, I thought one didn't "press charges" as such - this was the job of the Police/DPP. Of course, whether they charge someone may be influenced by whether the alleged victim is going to be helpful.

When it comes to any Court proceedings and Police dealings, especially as you head down the Corruption Perceptions Index scale, the odds will always be stacked against the foreigner, regardless of who is at fault.
A person can press charges but it comes down to the severity of the crime. In the case of kidnapping it's a crime pure and simple. No one needs to press charges, they just charge the person with kidnapping. A person can ask for clemency though. The courts can still go through and charge the person but the victim can make a statement for clemency that the courts will take into account.

When someone asks to press charges it's usually because of damage to property or violence/aggravation without evidence or with circumstantial evidence. Basically if someone gives the police a video of you assaulting someone else then the police will charge you. If someone approaches the police and says "He threatened to kill me" or "He gave me these bruises" then the person is pressing charges. If the person turns around and says "Actually, I fell and hit my face, I want to drop the charges", in Australia the police still have to fully investigate as it could be due to coercion.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I doubt he hacked the email, most likely she hadn't even changed her password since they had been together.
Probably. If you're going to plan something like this, don't do it from your personal email address. It's like robbing a bank and using a getaway car with a license plate "No1crim"

Status
Not open for further replies.