Hazem's ex wife fires shots at NRL

Status
Not open for further replies.

beastwood89

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hazem El Masri's first wife unloads on NRL for not standing by him
The first wife of Hazem El Masri has launched a stinging attack on the NRL, claiming the governing body should have stuck by the Bulldogs legend while he was waiting to clear his name.

El Masri was charged with assaulting former wife Douah El-Cherif during an argument last October, but police dropped the charges during the week. The former NSW and Australian representative was an NRL ambassador but was told to stop making community visits, including one to his son's school, as soon as the charges were laid. When the NRL subsequently released a list of 40 ambassadors for the 2016 season, El Masri wasn't one of them.

Advertisement

Club legend: Bulldogs stalwart Hazem El Masri is chaired off the field in his farewell game at ANZ Stadium in 2009.Photo: Steve Christo
El Masri and those close to him are livid the 39-year-old was not afforded a presumption of innocence, particularly given Roosters star Shaun Kenny-Dowall – also cleared of domestic violence charges – was allowed to play on until his case had been finalised.

Arwa Abousamra, who has known El Masri for 18 years, and was married to him for 13 of them, slammed former NRL chief executive Dave Smith and his administration for the treatment of the White Ribbon Day ambassador.

"This is for the next generation of NRL players," Abousamra wrote in a letter provided to Fairfax Media.

The right image: Hazem El Masri and his former wife, Arwa Abousamra, in 2009.Photo: Steve Christo
"This is to clear the air about loyalty. The knee-jerk reaction last year by departed NRL CEO David Smith was nothing short of shameful, but personally I wasn't shocked. You see, I have witnessed this sort of thing my whole life.

"It took him less than a second to brand Hazem El Masri guilty without a giving him the benefit of the doubt and standing him down from any appearances, effective immediately. The NRL has such a terrible track record amongst those of us who know how they operate. Just ask the hundreds of retired players that were simply shown the door after years of service and entertainment that raked in millions in profits for that organisation and its clubs. The NRL isn't renowned for its loyalty to its players, it's more loyal to the bottom line, and it will sell you the family image without flinching.

"You see, when it had to jump and fix its dirty image from players getting up to no good they would almost like a flash call on the honourable and loyal members who do the right thing all the time…like Hazem El Masri. With all their shameful displays, he never abandoned ship.

Not guilty plea: Hazem El Masri, centre, arrives at Bankstown Local Court last October.Photo: Peter Rae
"But now when this long-serving soldier for the greater cause of the community needed that faith returned to him, he was shut down and dismissed without being proven guilty. If you want to know what loyalty looks like, you will not find it at the NRL, the only organisation I know of that continuously fails at looking after its own.

"Just take a look at the countless retired players who suffered post retirement and in life after footy due to the NRL's lack of leadership and preparation for its players. They were simply unprepared for that fall from grace, because real life isn't a grassy pitch with thousands of people cheering for you.

"If the NRL wanted to clean up its image, jumping to abandon one of its most loyal players who has served the organisation unwaveringly was the wrong move. The only thing that achieved is countless school kids missing out on having one of the NRL's most vibrant and inspiring facilitators at their school, including his own children.

"Instead of waiting for the law to decide, the NRL's actions branded Hazem guilty in the court of public opinion. If you can't rely on the people who have worked with you and know you for over 20 years then who can you rely on?

"Instead they should have started at the root of the problem. Instead of sacking players who mess up when they are on the drink, maybe you shouldn't seek out sponsorship from the alcohol industry.

"If you promote healthy eating through your 'eat well, play well, stay well' program, which Hazem was an ambassador for, then don't seek out sponsorship from the fast-food industry.

"If you want young men to give you the best of their youth then help them plan better for the rest of their lives.

"And that's only a few tips.

"Maybe it is a blessing you resigned, David Smith, you were a cold and out-of-touch leader. As for abandoning Hazem El Masri without proof of guilt…the only thing Hazem is guilty of at this point, is never really being a part of the boys club.

"Loyalty and integrity was never your best selling point. The NRL needs to be more accountable for its champions and take a leaf out of the book of Cricket Australia and the AFL."

An NRL spokesperson said El Masri's ambassadorial contract for 2015 was paid in full. It's understood El Masri wants to be reappointed in his ambassadorial roles with the governing body and Canterbury now that his name has been cleared.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
Hazem has done nothing wrong and the NRL should apologise .

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Lol why are people surprised an x doggies player wasn't supported by the nrl?
I mean fkn wife bashers cough Inglis cough get more support from the nrl cough aboriginal sympathy cough so it's only right that a doggies player isn't supported. O

El_Magic

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doggies should be ashamed as well. They dumped him as quick as the nrl did. Fucking disgraceful how everyone turned their back on him. Not surprised the nrl did but the dogs should of backed him. I lost so much respect for the club after that

silva

Utility
Reaction score
I don't understand how the **** who pressed the charges isn't being charged with a crime right now for lieing to police and in court.

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Doggies should be ashamed as well. They dumped him as quick as the nrl did. Fucking disgraceful how everyone turned their back on him. Not surprised the nrl did but the dogs should of backed him. I lost so much respect for the club after that
Relax mate last year we were already being smashed from that good Friday match and shit and we couldn't afford to keep an ambassador accused of domestic violence against a woman especially a woman. If he was found guilty we'd be the scum of the league. The nrl should have supported him Coz they shouldn't be bias and should've given the benefit of the doubt until he was found guilty or not

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
How
I don't understand how the **** who pressed the charges isn't being charged with a crime right now for lieing to police and in court.
dare you say that. She is a woman, you want to oppress women from making false statements now? Shame on your opression and sexism haha

Last edited:

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Having had the absolute privilege of meeting Arwa on several occasions whilst living in Sydney and sharing many intelligent and thought provoking conversations with her, I stand and applaud her for saying so succinctly and passionately exactly what every decent NRL fan was thinking. Judgement was reserved on this matter, as it should have been, until the law had fully investigated the matter, except in the eyes of David Smith and his cronies.

We as fans were shocked and dismayed to read that an absolute legend of the game and a champion man was not afforded the same degree of leeway in maintaining his position with the NRL as were several players who were accused of the very same (alleged) crime. The said players were allowed to continue taking part in playing NRL while their cases were being assessed. Some have been exonerated, some have not, but they were never treated as shabbily as Hazem was. I am utterly sick and tired of the so called superstars of the game shitting in the nest as it were, and then being welcomed back with open arms to the accolades of their peers

I would not blame him one bit for not wanting to serve in any capacity for the NRL ever again, but he has shown once again that he is a better man than all of them by putting any animosity aside and seeking re-instatement regardless of the poor way in which he was treated. Big whoop that his 2015 contract was paid out, it should have been; that is not the crux of the matter; his reputation has been soiled and now it is a matter of record that he was investigated for domestic violence, charges levelled by a woman who has been found to be a compulsive liar by both family and friends. His family and friends (and I am sure the vast majority of NRL fans) held the faith, but not the NRL to whom he had given fourteen exemplary seasons of excitement and record breaking. Shame on you NRL, shame.

It also sadly brought back memories of the way this man was treated during the Coffs Harbour saga. He maintained his innocence on that matter no matter what allegations were thrown his way and once again Arwa was unwavering in her support of him. The NRL gave nothing.

I agree with her comments regarding alcohol and fast food too, rather than trying to preach to children who play the game that alcohol and junk food are no good for you we see VB and KFC plastered all over our TV screens and on advertising hoardings and sign writing on the fields. Advertising is an important part of the game, yes I agree, but all I see is hypocrisy by the governing body.

Good on you Arwa for putting this out there.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
Having had the absolute privilege of meeting Arwa on several occasions whilst living in Sydney and sharing many intelligent and thought provoking conversations with her, I stand and applaud her for saying so succinctly and passionately exactly what every decent NRL fan was thinking. Judgement was reserved on this matter, as it should have been, until the law had fully investigated the matter, except in the eyes of David Smith and his cronies.

We as fans were shocked and dismayed to read that an absolute legend of the game and a champion man was not afforded the same degree of leeway in maintaining his position with the NRL as were several players who were accused of the very same (alleged) crime. The said players were allowed to continue taking part in playing NRL while their cases were being assessed. Some have been exonerated, some have not, but they were never treated as shabbily as Hazem was. I am utterly sick and tired of the so called superstars of the game shitting in the nest as it were, and then being welcomed back with open arms to the accolades of their peers

I would not blame him one bit for not wanting to serve in any capacity for the NRL ever again, but he has shown once again that he is a better man than all of them by putting any animosity aside and seeking re-instatement regardless of the poor way in which he was treated. Big whoop that his 2015 contract was paid out, it should have been; that is not the crux of the matter; his reputation has been soiled and now it is a matter of record that he was investigated for domestic violence, charges levelled by a woman who has been found to be a compulsive liar by both family and friends. His family and friends (and I am sure the vast majority of NRL fans) held the faith, but not the NRL to whom he had given fourteen exemplary seasons of excitement and record breaking. Shame on you NRL, shame.

It also sadly brought back memories of the way this man was treated during the Coffs Harbour saga. He maintained his innocence on that matter no matter what allegations were thrown his way and once again Arwa was unwavering in her support of him. The NRL gave nothing.

I agree with her comments regarding alcohol and fast food too, rather than trying to preach to children who play the game that alcohol and junk food are no good for you we see VB and KFC plastered all over our TV screens and on advertising hoardings and sign writing on the fields. Advertising is an important part of the game, yes I agree, but all I see is hypocrisy by the governing body.

Good on you Arwa for putting this out there.
Very well said dogluva and your 100% correct .

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score

considering Roosters stood by SKD even though he has almost proven guilty , but he is still playing in roosters jersey.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
i am amazed if hazem first wife's loves him so much why did she separate?
I don't think she's the one who wanted to seperate from what I hear, he is the one who moved on.

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Hazem's ex for bulldogs CEO........so much better than Castle!

Status
Not open for further replies.