Foran deal scuppers Manly's bid for Reynolds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
[h=1]Kieran Foran's Parramatta Eels deal scuppers Manly's bid for Josh Reynolds | smh.com.au[/h]Kieran Foran's decision to join Parramatta on a revised deal has scuppered a bold proposal that could have delivered Josh Reynolds to Manly had the Kiwi international opted to join Canterbury instead.
Foran and his management have agreed to remove Parramatta's controversial $1 million damages clause, but have drafted other safeguards into his contract due to the unstable footballing and political climate at the blue and golds.
Like the original deal, the revised version is still for $4.8 million over four years, but the option is in Foran's favour for the last two. The revised contract is yet to be signed, but both parties are hopeful of doing so in coming days after a copy was sent to Eels official Daniel Anderson on Thursday.
Advertisement
Foran is unlikely to be the only one with a new Parramatta contract. Coach Brad Arthur is likely to extend his tenure for a further two seasons, until the end of 2019, in a move that will provide the club with much-needed stability. Arthur's deal is yet to be ratified but it is expected the board will approve an extension for the former Storm assistant coach.
Manly were hopeful of tabling Foran a "lifetime" contract similar to the one used to tempt Daly Cherry-Evans back to the fold, but in recent days it became apparent Foran would be moving on.
Sea Eagles powerbrokers began hatching contingency plans and one of them was a play for Reynolds. However, the only way for the ploy – believed to be the brainchild of Manly supremo Bob Fulton – to come off was if Foran decided to link again with Des Hasler at Canterbury, forcing the "family club" to shed another of its halves.
However, the Bulldogs never made an official play for Foran knowing he was always likely to sort out his contractual dispute with the Eels, sending Manly back to the drawing board in their search for a halves partner for Cherry-Evans.
The Bulldogs are now poised to go into 2016 with Reynolds partnering Moses Mbye in the halves, with Trent Hodkinson close to finalising his future. The NSW halfback is resigned to leaving Belmore at the end of the season, with Newcastle tipped to pip the Gold Coast for his signature.
Hodkinson said earlier this week that he hoped to settle the matter before Origin III but said the saga would not hamper his preparation for the Suncorp Stadium decider.
Foran's intention to honour his commitment to Parramatta, despite the club shifting the goalposts on the agreement, is welcome news for long-suffering Eels fans.
The major appeal for Foran in the shift was the opportunity to play under Arthur and he will now get that opportunity after being given assurances the coach is safe. The Eels were reluctant to allow a coaching clause in the new contract and also have reservations about giving Foran the option of staying for just two of the four years to which he originally committed.
However, given the hamfisted way the club conducted negotiations, they had to make some concessions in return for deleting the seven-figure damages clause, which could have been triggered after a single training session. The new deal not only secures the future of Foran at the club but also that of Arthur, who has been under pressure after the side's poor season.
The Eels were not commenting on the latest developments but in an interview with Fairfax Media last weekend, new chief executive John Boulous said new protocols were in place to ensure the Foran debacle "will never happen again".
Manly had some positive news on the signing front after securing Panthers hooker Apisai Koroisau on a three-year deal.
"Api has been given an opportunity to secure his future and he leaves with our blessings," Panthers executive general manager, rugby league, Phil Gould said.
"He has been wonderful for our club in the short time he has been here, and I know he will continue to give us great service for the rest of the season."

http://m.smh.com.au/rugby-league/le...ys-bid-for-josh-reynolds-20150702-gi3rvg.html

Lol that would never work, Manly fans would protest and call for Fultons resignation. Eagles fans hate Reynolds ever since he got flipped in that tackle at brookvale which led to us winning that game. It will be like Jamie Soward coming over to the dogs.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
IMO the Eels stuffed up majorly signing Foran to 1.2mill a year.. Happy Days

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
$53,509.00 a month or $12,305.95 a week.

yeah I'd be happy with that salary

Malla

Reaction score
Great player.. but does not deserve that salary. The only saving grace is it is only for 2 years.

Parra have major gaps in their forwards, mainly their front row, and have terrible outside backs (aside from Semi) - $1.2 mill on a 5/8 who will not have anything to work with is going to look like a wasted investment.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Great player.. but does not deserve that salary. The only saving grace is it is only for 2 years.

Parra have major gaps in their forwards, mainly their front row, and have terrible outside backs (aside from Semi) - $1.2 mill on a 5/8 who will not have anything to work with is going to look like a wasted investment.
I think their pack is quite good for next year at least.

Scott is a good addition though is likely got 1-2 good seasons left at max. Watmough is already showing age has caught up. Juniour Paulo is a good player, Mannah is meh, Moeroa is a gun in the making, Ma'u, Pauli Pauli, Edwards, Wicks etc all pretty handy.

Agree on backs bar Semi it's rubbish.

Malla

Reaction score

Scott is a good addition though is likely got 1-2 good seasons left at max. Watmough is already showing age has caught up. Juniour Paulo is a good player, Mannah is meh, Moeroa is a gun in the making, Ma'u, Pauli Pauli, Edwards, Wicks etc all pretty handy.

Their backrow is great, but their front row is a great weakness. Mannah continuously struggles to do the simple things that a front rower should - ie. get tackled on his stomach and up for a quick play the ball. It's tough for Parra to cut him, given he is their captain. He continuously get's dominated by the opposition too. I reckon they need to go with Pauli Pauli and Paulo starting in their front row and build Moeroa as a future front rower - he is going to be massive by the time he hits 23-24.

BaYry Ward

Former Immortal
Reaction score

The club is still bound to the contract for 4 years if Foran chooses to exercise the player options for the additional two years.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
A club over the cap just signs a player for 1.2 mil a year. Ok

Sorry I forgot they took peats car away that should balance it all out cough cough

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Glad things went they way they did. Id rather Bulldogs junior Reynolds who bleeds blue and white than Foran and his ridiculous pricetag. I would have actually boycotted buying membership next year if we had signed him. Would have been a shitty move by the club i couldnt agree with. Im happy it didnt come to that.

bert

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Phuck Foran and Parramatta !!!! I want to know how Reynolds will react to this story ???
I think Hasler may have some "issues" on his hands and he may need to rethink his position on Hodko's future

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Phuck Foran and Parramatta !!!! I want to know how Reynolds will react to this story ???
I think Hasler may have some "issues" on his hands and he may need to rethink his position on Hodko's future
These issues are nothing new lol.

ouwet

Bulldogs 4 Life
Reaction score
Nah mate no issues! Reynolds and the Dogs knows this was a media beat up!

"However, the Bulldogs never made an official play for Foran knowing he was always likely to sort out his contractual dispute with the Eels"

So in other words this story is BS but we'll run with it anyways!

Hasler came out from the start and said he hasn't enquired and basically isn't interested in Foran...

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I can only assume Brad Arthur gives great head. Hopoate and Foran have both made it clear that having Brad Arthur "coach" them is a big part of the reason they're at the Eels. He certainly hasn't proven himself as a coach.

For once i'd like to see the media actually quote someone who is in the loop when they make statements about the possible futures of players who are still contracted with our club.

Shnissss

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can only assume Brad Arthur gives great head. Hopoate and Foran have both made it clear that having Brad Arthur "coach" them is a big part of the reason they're at the Eels. He certainly hasn't proven himself as a coach.

For once i'd like to see the media actually quote someone who is in the loop when they make statements about the possible futures of players who are still contracted with our club.
I for one just want to see a player openly admit they did it for the money. Seriously.

NRL contract for dummies:
Step 1. Get the best deal you can
Step 2. Make up a story that you picked that club for the coach, or for family reasons blah blah

It's all about the money! Show me the money! $1.2m reasons why he went to Parra!

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Every year people say Parra look strong or have potential for this or that. It happened at the beginning of this year as well, and every year without fail they perform the way they do. It's really hilarious, on paper Parra should've always been doing better than they have been.

Chances are Foran is going to flop at Parra give the way things go over there

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
They were over the cap and have paid overs for foran,hoppa,watmough,beau scott and michael gordon i dont believe parramattas troubles are over

Horny Wog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its all a load of shit.

If Foran was so desperate to play under Arthur, would he do it at $600k per season or stay at Manly for $1m per season?

It all comes down to the dollar for the vast majority of the players.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Its all a load of shit.

If Foran was so desperate to play under Arthur, would he do it at $600k per season or stay at Manly for $1m per season?

It all comes down to the dollar for the vast majority of the players.
I've got no doubt he wants to be coached by Arthur. They leaked his contract info and Sharp said that no player is bigger than the club and he still stuck with them. If I was in his position and another club was willing to pay close $'s I would have walked away.

Even if a player wants to go to a club it's the managers job to get the best deal possible. His manager isn't going to say Foran wants to play here give him what you want. He's going to milk them for every cent they're willing to pay and Parra are a pretty stupid club.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Speaking of Manly ... they still don't have a partner for DCE and are running out of options.

They might end up with Sandow :roflol:

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Speaking of Manly ... they still don't have a partner for DCE and are running out of options.

They might end up with Sandow :roflol:
Lyon, Gutho or maybe Tom Trbo short term. Speaking of Sandow, he currently sits 2nd for try assists lol

Status
Not open for further replies.