State of Origin: Trent Hodkinson outplays Daly Cherry-Evans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He lifted his game and I hope this gives him the confidence he needs to lift his game at club level. He's copped a lot of criticism of late and I'm sure he is his own harshest critic, but he'll feel a little better after that game.

Daley should be credited for his loyalty and sticking to most of the same squad. He must of been tempted to drop Hopkinson, but stuck by him.
very insightful post.. the key to hodkinsons resurgence was Daley's belief in him

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
He played what was probably his best game of the season I suppose but I'm still far from a believer. Sure, he did what was asked of him but I don't think that's really the question. I think a better question is why was so little asked if him? To make me a believer he needs to kick and run more and do a better job at both.

I don't think Mr I posting stats proves DCE was better because there are two different things to look at there. DCE did not have a good game and if you're answering the criteria based on which one of the two did a better job based on the brief they were given by their coach, Hodko probably wins.... But that discounts the fact Meninga seems to have placed the standard expectations you would normally place on your halfback, whereas Daley gave Hodko a game plan that allowed him to do a lot less and to focus on a much simpler role within the team. The things Hodko didn't do enough of tonight are things he hasn't done enough or hasn't been doing well in general.

Mbye is still learning, Reynolds can lose his head at times and both can be explosive type players. But I don't see how Hodko offers much value as a counterpoint to either or both when he isn't able to make the defence guess a little more by upping his running game or to kick well.

When he he did run a couple of times tonight he threatened a little bit. So why didn't he do a little more of it (I'm still not convinced he is confident his knees can take that)

Signs of of improvement in some areas, but he's still a long way away from the form I want to see from him to convince me he's fully fit and in the right mental headspace to do what is needed of him to be the on field asset to the team a HB should be.

Qld-Dog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
LOL at all the Trent Hodkinson haters, even when he plays well his opposite number was terrible LOL I think you will find that bar one game Trent has out played DCE. My patience is wearing very thin with all the haters!!

Cammo

Bulldogs Tragic
Reaction score
Those stats show that DCE made more runs and more metres from kicks, broke more tackles, tackled more players, and offloaded more.

That's pretty conclusive right there.

Oh and re Stats ... Des is most certainly a stats driven man too!
I don't think Des solely relies on stats when he makes his decisions.

Numbers of runs just as an example doesn't give you all the information. How effective were those runs? Did they end up in breaks or errors? What part of the field where they in?

Stats alone don't tell you enough

Tegga

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL did whoever write this article actually watch the game.

Lets compare Trents mind blowing stats from tonight compared to DCE. I shall score 1 point for each stats winner.

Trent Hodkinson
2 Runs for 19m
1 Try Assist (literally a pass to a guy next to him).
14 tackles / 1 missed / 0 One on One
0 offloads
1 Line Break Assist (again a pass to someone next to him).
2 kicks for 30m

DCE
7 Runs for 28m
1 Try Assist
2 Tackle Breaks
26 tackles / 5 missed / 1 One on One
1 Offload
1 Line Break Assist
5 kicks for 150m

No of Runs - DCE
Metres Gained - DCE
Try Assists - EQUAL
Tackle Breaks - DCE
No of Tackles - DCE
Least Missed Tackles - Hodko
No of One on One Tackles - DCE
Offloads - DCE
No of Kicks - DCE
Kick Metres - DCE

SAME: 1
TRENT: 1
DCE: 8

Summary - DCE kicked Hodkos arse in all stats bar missed tackles.
You have zero idea if you think dce played even half as good as hodkinson, just suck it up and accept he had a decent game.

Gp wannabe

Waterboy
Reaction score
You have zero idea if you think dce played even half as good as hodkinson, just suck it up and accept he had a decent game.
Trent played all over DCE , nothing flash but did his job. LOL at producing stats to prove who played better besides it was Chase Stanley's fault DCE had a shocker

El_Magic

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You've got to stop relying on numbers Mr I. They never tell the whole story.

Take a look at Reynolds' season avg stats for example. It will tell you he's one of the best halves in the game, even though we all agree he's not even close.
100%. Stats mean **** all sometimes. Hodko easily outplayed dce last night

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
By outplayed, does he mean "made less mistakes"

Hokko didn't do anything wrong. He was very solid. But geeze he didn't do anything great either.

Hokko's manager must have paid to have this written :p

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Credit when it's due Hodko had a great game and did what he needed to do

I'd be interested to see Mitchell stats as well

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
"Lies, damned lies, and statistics" is a phrase describing the persuasive power of numbers, particularly the use of statistics to bolster weak arguments. It is also sometimes colloquially used to doubt statistics used to prove an opponent's point.

Shnissss

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Solid game. Was helped by the absolute piss poor performance that dce dished up tonight
+1. DCE had a shocker

I was a little concerned about hodkinson reverting to the old just catch and pass early in the 2nd half. Decent performance

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I find it hard to believe that defending well, simply passing it to the guy next to you, never running it and kicking it straight into touch twice equates to a good origin game for a half.

Hodkinson didn't play badly, but he didn't play well. DCE was terrible and I think he might not be suited to Origin either but let's not get carried away with Hodkinson as if he's turned his career around with one game. If he played that way for Canterbury without being surrounded by stars at every position then the focus would be on how little he gets involved and how ordinary he is.

It's amazing the spin people can put on things and how it makes them lose perspective. Hopefully other clubs in the NRL or ESL are similarly bamboozled by Trent's "phenomenal" performance last night and sign him up quickly so we're not stuck with him any longer.

With Cronk back for the decider, I dare say the spotlight will again be on the NSW halves and how they failed to produce once they lose the decider in QLD. Full credit to NSW last night, they were by far the better team but I wouldn't be taking too much from one Origin game on neutral territory.

KimboSlice

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Full credit to NSW last night, they were by far the better team but I wouldn't be taking too much from one Origin game on neutral territory.
Neutral? The minute silence seemed to suggest it was quite a large Maroons contingent.. considering Melbourne is QLD origin team in the NRL comp, i reckon it was more QLD than NSW...

BLUES! (apologies for the off-topic reply, the excitement got the better of me...):p

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Its funny when hokko catches and passes and kicks a few goals its like he had a blinder lol

Mozzie

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Great game By JT

i hope that was sarcasm .... JT was amazing last night in both attack and more so his defence.
I have to agree with you Mate! I think JT was great last night. Probably the best player on the field. Trent had a solid game and to be honest what we saw from Trent is what he does best. He is no flashy player he can controls things and stays calm under pressure which is important in a Half. He has not been doing that so much this year. In my humble opinion I think he and Moses make a better pairing than Reynolds and Moses. Although Trent isn't worth $700.000 with his knees. I am not saying Reynolds is no good but he is an impact player to me a bit like Sandow which will have you cheering one minute and crying the next.

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
LOL at all the Trent Hodkinson haters, even when he plays well his opposite number was terrible LOL I think you will find that bar one game Trent has out played DCE. My patience is wearing very thin with all the haters!!
I'm actually surprised there are people on here that still support him after watching him play since 2013. We average about 14 points a game with trent.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Neutral? The minute silence seemed to suggest it was quite a large Maroons contingent.. considering Melbourne is QLD origin team in the NRL comp, i reckon it was more QLD than NSW...

BLUES! (apologies for the off-topic reply, the excitement got the better of me...):p
Yeah the crowd were always going to be pro Queensland. But I reckon once the game wore on and NSW proved they were better, the hatred went out the door and the crowd were louder than ever because it was so entertaining and they were excited.

It was a great spectacle and the Melbourne fans (and tens of thousands who travelled) provided a better atmosphere than any NSW crowd has ever done. Even the crowd at Suncorp is becoming more apathetic over the years..

Status
Not open for further replies.