• Undecided/Don't really care

Votes: 4 9.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cammo

Bulldogs Tragic
Reaction score
I love Origin. Yes it is a major distraction during the season but it's such an absorbing contest that the players give their all for that I can't help but be engrossed in it

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Imo they should have it at the end of the year, after the grand final.

1 SOO game
Then a 3 game international series

The SOO game can be like a selection process for Aus.

Then move the all-star game to mid-season, where every player in the comp is eligible.

But if they had to persist with the mid season 3 games. I'd like to see them played 3 weeks in a row. Just have a mid-season break, and no byes throughout the year.

Snowmann

Party Rocker
Reaction score
I still like origin, but I cant consider this the pinnacle any more, for crying out, the players on the field aren't even necessarily the best in their position, so how can they seriously call it the pinnacle.

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
Run with me here.

I like Robbie Fowler's enthusiasm for two conferences, and I'm a big believer in "more is more" when it comes to footy, but 28 rounds + SOO + internationals, screams 'player burnout' to me.

If we could ...
(a) reduce conferences to 8 teams [this equates to 24rds using RF's "2x same-pool / 1x other pool" method], and ...
(b) somehow tie-in promotion/relegation to both conferences [ie: Last in NSW/Qld conference relegated to NSW/QLD Cup].
... we'd be close to something ideal.

Season would go something like this ...
Pre-season
Opening 8 rounds
Pause for Anzac/Rep weekend (surrogate Bye for NRL clubs)
Mid-year rounds including first 2 Origins
Pause for SOO3 and add 2nd rep-round (Surrogate Mid-year Bye & expanded Pacific Nations perhaps ?)
Continue final rounds towards semis
Finals series (top 3 from both conferences & 2x wildcards with best records.

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I still like origin, but I cant consider this the pinnacle any more, for crying out, the players on the field aren't even necessarily the best in their position, so how can they seriously call it the pinnacle.
Its the rules, rivalry and the spectacle that make it the pinnacle. The blues were outclassed across the field last year yet somehow managed to win despite having Trent and Josh as their halfs.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Is it more intense than a GF?
Too disruptive and lacking the spirit of the eighties, every second year for me.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I'd rather watch a Dogs game over soo any day of the week.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I still look forward to it every year,
I just think it should be stand alone played on a Saturday night.

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
just a thought

20 teams (23 games)
4 pools

dogs, wests, eels, souths, easts,

sharks, panthers, central coast, newy, manly

nz1, nz2, storm, canberra, illawarra

bris, logan, titans, cows, perth

play your pool twice (2x 4 games) (win worth 2 points)
play others once (15 games) (win worth 3 points) something different
top 2 from each pool makes the finals

shorter season and more teams

smash out soo over 2 weekends (include a "pacific cup" in this time 2)

3 games

Game 1 wednesday night (Day1)

Game 2 monday night (Day 6)

Game 3 sunday arvo/night (Day 12)

Dont worry bout the short turn around - if the players want 2 miss out on the coin they can sit out and rest and not winge.

Last edited by a moderator:

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
just a thought

20 teams (23 games)
4 pools

dogs, wests, eels, souths, easts,

sharks, panthers, central coast, newy, manly

nz1, nz2, storm, canberra, illawarra

bris, logan, titans, cows, perth

play your pool twice (2x 4 games) (win worth 2 points)
play others once (15 games) (win worth 3 points) something different
top 2 from each pool makes the finals

shorter season and more teams

smash out soo over 2 weekends (include a "pacific cup" in this time 2)

3 games

Game 1 wednesday night (Day1)

Game 2 monday night (Day 6)

Game 3 sunday arvo/night (Day 12)

Dont worry bout the short turn around - if the players want 2 miss out on the coin they can sit out and rest and not winge.
What the hell did I just read? :/

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I am over SOO and have been for a few years now. The NRL love it because it rakes in the dollars. Get rid of it during the season proper and leave it until after the GF. Make it a single game, not a series of three and pick the players who are performing the best, not solely the incumbents or those who have performed well in the past.
The folly of picking the same old players wil come home to roost soon as the rosters age, and if the NRlLwant to continue with it new blood is needed to invigorate the concept.
It brings me back to the old argument of the viability of the City vs Country game which is supposed to be a springboard to SOO, let's face it players who don't participate in this are picked regardless for SOO, making a mockery of the whole thing.

So don't disadvantage teams by depleting their rosters, don't play it during the premiership proper,pick the best players on form and only one game after the GF.

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
origin is now a shiney sh** heap its the nrls revenue maker at the expense of the footy fans, the series these days is run like a soap opera, everyone involved is a part of the con, the theatrical acting and stage shows are doing nothing to help the game, its always been a sellout in qld and last year with the higher costs of tickets and the fact nsw had won the series they failed to sellout game 3.
now the blatchy blues has been sold its run as a business and has to churn out dollars and make a big profit for the new owners..nrl..

origin is buggered the everyday fan who goes to the game will now have to pay through the nose for the privilege of being part of the atmosphere

NallaC

Kennel Established
Reaction score
agree its turned into a boys club with favourites being picked each year regardless of form... To me its on borrowed time

Malla

Reaction score
I agree with the whole consensus here and think Origin is a real waste of time.

If anything, it should be cut down to one game per year, or if they want the 3 game series to live (assuming they do because of the $$ it brings in) it should be done at the end of the season. It's a massive disruption. I don't particularly like the fact it takes a good chunk out of the season - we copped it last year from Origin with JMoz being out for so long and therefore playing finals on one leg. I think it needs an overhaul.

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
When I was at school, origin was the only time we could all come together and support the same team.

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Another reason why SOO is ****ed for clubs

Slater to play Game II in what could be final match of 2015 season
http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/sta...h-of-2015-season/story-e6frf3ou-1227391971278

If there was no such thing as SOO, Slater would have had surgery at the start of the season, and would have had a chance of coming back again this year.

But instead he persevered to make sure he got selected for origin. So now he will play 2 games of SOO, get his $100k bonus, and not play another game this year.

Not that I care about the Storm, but that's ****ed.

Thehighballl

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/sta...h-of-2015-season/story-e6frf3ou-1227391971278

If there was no such thing as SOO, Slater would have had surgery at the start of the season, and would have had a chance of coming back again this year.

But instead he persevered to make sure he got selected for origin. So now he will play 2 games of SOO, get his $100k bonus, and not play another game this year.

absolutely fuc#$ mentality.

This is why I dont believe in teams medical staff, it's a players league, no one gives a flying F%^ about the teams physio. If the player and their agent puts their foot down and want to play they will play. This is the case for most players. Slater has a busted shoulder, he figuratively spat at the melbourne storms club face. I am para phrasing "I will play one more game for origin, then I am out, not interested in playing for the club"

Origin sucks.

Bellamy should be pis#ed off.

Malla

Reaction score
It should be cut down from 3 games to one game.

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

"But instead he persevered to make sure he got selected for origin" Thats because he wanted to play origin, not sure why people on here are blaming origin when the players want to play it more then they want to play for their club.

Status
Not open for further replies.