Mbye wants Reynolds’ No.6 shirt — but how long will he wait?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
April 23, 2015 4:31pm
CHRISTIAN NICOLUSSI

YOU have to wonder how much longer Moses Mbye will remain Josh Reynolds’ five-eighth understudy at Canterbury.

Mbye has really impressed for the Dogs this year, and is expected to slot into the centres for the injured Josh Morris against the Wests Tigers.

He broke Tigers’ fans hearts in round four when he slotted the winning field goal in extra time.

And while he’s happy to play wherever Canterbury coach Des Hasler needs him, Mbye revealed this week his preference is to wear Reynolds’ No.6 jumper.

Mbye, 21, already forced Reynolds to make his return from injury via the interchange bench, and has a big fan in Hasler.

“My long term goal is to be a starting five-eighth at this club. That’s the goal,’’ Mbye said.

Asked if Reynolds was aware of his plan, Mbye said: “He’s one of my best mates at this club, we always joke around about it.

“We’ll just have to wait and see. It’s hard to say what’s going to happen. Footy careers change overnight nowadays.

“Anyone can be anywhere, especially now. It’s a halves sort of market at the moment, so there’s going to be people wanted and not wanted. There will be a lot of movement over the next 24 months.’’

Mbye believes he is at the right club to enhance his chances of being the best utility he can become, given Hasler’s coaching resume.

“It’s a pretty good club to do your apprenticeship at. Des’s resume of bringing halves through is top quality,’’ he said.

“He’s got the (Daly) Cherry-Evans and (Kieran) Forans, who are both internationals, and Trent Hodkinson and Reynolds, who are both state reps who won an Origin series just last year.

“If you look at them, you couldn’t ask for a better club to be a half at.

“In saying that, waiting behind Josh, I haven’t really crossed that bridge. I’m here until the end of 2016, and my commitment is here. I want to stay here long term. We’ll just have to wait and see I guess.

“It’s definitely a challenge (to wear the Canterbury No.6), and I’m willing to do it if I get an opportunity.

“He (Reynolds) is a great player, he’s the incumbent NSW No.6, and that’s a pretty big banner. To do that is definitely difficult, but I guess anything’s possible.’’

Mbye is sure to be in demand from other clubs, especially with his ability to also play centre and dabble at hooker.

Melbourne were one club who had shown interest in him before he lobbed at Belmore.

Mbye, officially a Queenslander, has already spoken with Maroons coach Mal Meninga, and spent time in one of their emerging squad camps.

He always dreamt of slotting a winning field goal, just like Queensland greats Darren Lockyer and Johnathan Thurston, and got to do just that against the Tigers.

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
Nice trolling Telecrap.

- 45 rounds until Mbye's contract expires.
- Attaching his name to SOO development squads after 15 NRL games.
- Throwing rumour-grenades over the fence to destabilise Reynolds/the squad.

Really.
It's quite a feat of trolling to achieve all that and make it sound believable.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
He will be squeezed out,
Josh and hodko will eventually fail,
Mbye will be the next big thing,
We will be left complaining,

That's posibility number 1

On the flip side,
He gets his spot and Reynolds becomes a utility?

Hummm,

What's the more likely senario?

This thread will get mighty interesting,

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hes starting to get restless if we dont **** off hokko so we can give him a starting spot in the halves ill ****ing lose it

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I want you to take his jersey also Moses :grinning:

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
He will be squeezed out,
Josh and hodko will eventually fail,
Mbye will be the next big thing,
We will be left complaining,

That's posibility number 1

On the flip side,
He gets his spot and Reynolds becomes a utility?

Hummm,

What's the more likely senario?

This thread will get mighty interesting,
This thread will end with people abusing me haha

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
In the same way Des looked to the future and let Ennis go he needs to think about the halves situation. It's time to let Hodko go and have a Mbye/Reynolds combo next season. If Hodko is signed Moses is as good as gone.

immortalbulldog

Eternal Doggy
Reaction score
Man Hodko is flying under the radar. Don't get picky Moses, there's a perfectly good #7 jersey up for grabs too.

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
It's 7:52 ... this thread wont go 24hrs without a mention of JT somewhere.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He can have the 7 as of next week if it was up to me

blah

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
+1
Hokko re-signs and Moses won't be here long term. he will get an offer when he comes off Contract that will come with a starting half position.
This is Anasta v JT all over again.
Does that mean we will lose hodko a year after Mbye to the roosters and end up with Daniel holdsworth

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Get rid of Hodkinson ffs.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Take form out of it, hokkos knees are shot, lucky to play for another 3-4 years in my opinion, give mbye the nod in the halves long term

BulldogzLegend

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Funny this is coming out now a few days after I put the same thing in the rumour thread and got shut down
I'd dump Hodko now get hi gone before June 30, upgrade mbye and use the rest to keep klemmer Jackson rona

Mbye has even said its a halves type market
Read between the lines he knows his value he knows he can get a starting spot elsewhere

Shnissss

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the same way Des looked to the future and let Ennis go he needs to think about the halves situation. It's time to let Hodko go and have a Mbye/Reynolds combo next season. If Hodko is signed Moses is as good as gone.
Des should give Hodko a contract that matches his form... 2nd tier!

Raysie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I really like Hodkinson, but this year he's really scared me. He's had almost EVERY reason to perform too:

- Off contract.
- Needs to step up for Origin.
- Has a star like Mbye pushing for his spot.
- Has been publicly criticised for his poor form.
- Has the forward pack that any half in the NRL would dream of playing behind.

I really do like the guy, but everyday that goes by Reynolds at 7 and Mbye at 6 is looking more and more better.

Status
Not open for further replies.