Would you be happy if the Dogs tried to sign Todd Carney?

Would you be happy if we signed Todd Carney?

• Yes

Votes: 34 50.7%
  • No

Votes: 30 44.8%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Might be a gronk but the bloke can play really good, look at how many gronks that have been given more chances and are playing well and behaved.
More chances? Who has even had close to the number of "chances" Carney has had?

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I would take him in a heartbeat.
He would win us a gf with our side no doubt
How many grandfinals has he won other clubs? How many club's has he let down due to stupid behavior ?
Big call saying he would win us a grandfinal without a doubt. Im not denying his playing ability but , to have our squad and him on the same page , then injury free and to get through a season without a drama ( remember if he did return to the nrl he would be under the worlds biggest microscope ). Could not see all that falling into place.

LFC Bulldogs

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He is a tool and done many stupid things ( alcohol induced most likely) but he is very talented , and if players like Ferguson , Bird and Lui for example are allowed to run around in the NRL then there should be no issue for Carney.
Personally I never liked the guy but he is a lot better than what we have at the moment . I'd bring him in for the remainder of the season with an option to extend.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Until I hear someone is leaving or sacked im not interested in any halves.

Mozzie

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I have never really had a problem with our fullback issues but feel we are a playmaker short to win a grand final. I don't mind Trent or Grub they are good enough to help get us into the finals but are not creative enough to go to the next level. Whether Todd is the answer I'm not sure at his best yes but he himself has been hot and cold. ??? maybe Des can bring out his best. All depends on the asking price and contract conditions for me. I don't see Raelene allowing it either.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
much better than what we have, but he will stuff up again. So no.

Raysie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah sadly we know it's only a matter of time before he stuffs up again. He's already been given the 4th and 5th chance. He doesn't need a 6th at this point.

Legend23

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Definetly no. But he should never have been expelled from the comp. Would never have him at the dogs though.

Junkyard

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
There are two issues here
1./ Was Carney treated fairly under our justice system- and given due process - clearly the answer is no, and he has a damages case he can take on the Sharks with, which in all likelihood
they will settle on for a lot of money, because in a court of law they will lose.
2./ It is another matter altogether whether the Dogs should sign him
a/ His history is not one that would give confidence and security that his behaviour will be at a level which makes him a desirable buy
b/ In his defence - he just may have learnt his lesson, and the culture at The dogs, and knowing he is on his last chance to redeem himself just might be what is needed for him to apply his extraordinary talent in an effort to regain his reputation
c/ If the Dogs actually achieved this - and if anyone can - they can - it would be the type of good news story we could all use - and Todd Carney is a gifted footballer
d/ Our attempt to throw a lifeline to Remi Matua ended in tears and should have a bearing on this. Barba's unprofessionalism had a major negative influence on our 2013 season, and we don't want a player in our ranks who could cause a repeat
e/ He is signed for 3 seasons with the Catalan Dragons.
f/ He turns 29 this year

If he were immediately available, and affordable, which is highly unlikely, and willing to enter into a contract where he agreed to be immediately terminated if there were any incidents, this might be something to look at. He was reportedly on $750,000 a year at The Sharks - probably getting a lot less in France, but no longer worth near that amount.

Overall - probably won't ever happen.
BUT - a great player - who will probably never play for a first tier team in Australia again. More likely a team who is prepared to take the risk things will work out. Given all the above, I wouldn't think the Dogs will do it - Foran and Mbye will combine better - and show both talent AND stability

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
More chances? Who has even had close to the number of "chances" Carney has had?
Dugan, bird, Roberts, Myles, ferguson, whicks and other offenders.

He just does silly shit nothing too bad he just gets unlucky it becomes public lol

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
On his day he's a great player, but he mixes that up with being a complete and utter tool. I wouldn't put an unsigned bulldogs contract in the same room as Carney.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
We're probably the only club that could straighten him out..but we are not that desperate to sign him. He's not needed.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Here's my pros and cons:

Pros:

- improved roster (maybe - depends on who you would get rid of).

Cons:

- disrupted season (remember
Barba 2013?)
- player unrest / bad influence (the Raiders almost had a complete walkout of senior players of the club's inability to deal with Dugan/Ferguson).
- loss of sponsors (titans have already lost 2 this year).
- unwanted media attention (we whine enough about being victims now as it is).
- loss of fans (mothers, who make the financial decisions in many households would want to be nowhere near a club associated with him).

Status
Not open for further replies.