Canterbury Bulldogs enter race for Daly Cherry-Evans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
With Parramatta firming as Foran's likely destination, the "Family Club" are exploring the prospect of adding Cherry-Evans to a star-studded line-up. They already have an established pivot in fellow Blues representative Josh Reynolds, who is contracted to Canterbury long term. The Bulldogs are also in negotiations with Hodkinson, whose stocks have also risen following a season in which he led his club to a grand final and NSW to a State of Origin title, the first Blues series win in nine attempts.
am I being paranoid or are they taking the piss when call us 'the family club'( in inverted commas) ?

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Dce is a gun and just what we need ,our halves are a massive let down,however i cant see this happening and theres not one bit of fact to back this up

2nd phase play

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Why would he take Trents spot? DCE plays primarily on the right side during games so he would take Reynolds spot who also plays on the right......but none of this will happen so meh
Im pretty sure Dce has the talent to play both sides...
Maybe he only plays on the right because Foran can only play on the left that is more believable!
There just rumors that Dce is a bad egg we don't know the truth.
He's a young bloke who has the talent who's trying to provide for his family with what limited time he has in league.
I know what id be doing if I was him, exactly the same thing!
Hodkinsons knees are shot i cant see him lasting too much longer..

Mozzie

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I think we have fairly good halves but not great ones. As Trent is also off contract how much will he be asking for now that he is the current NSW half? DCE is asking a lot of money but if we can afford it I would take him.
Although like some have said we are linked to just about everybody off contract and will not be to concerned until the club says something. I am happy enough with current guys if we don't get him.

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
am I being paranoid or are they taking the piss when call us 'the family club'( in inverted commas) ?
"The Family Club" tag came about in the late 1970s (I think) when we had the Mark, Graeme and Garry Hughes brothers all playing first grade and then the Steve, Chris and Peter Mortimer brothers all came from Turvey Park at Wagga Wagga to join the Dogs. Thus Steve's nickname "Turvey". So there you go. :thumb:

With the thing about DCE coming to the Dogs here is a quote from the Herald:

"Canterbury have emerged as the dark horse in the race for the signature of Daly Cherry-Evans in a development that clouds the future of grand final halfback Trent Hodkinson.

The player market has ground to a halt as clubs wait for Manly's superstar halves pairing of Cherry-Evans and Kieran Foran to determine their futures. The Bulldogs have been one of Foran's suitors, but Fairfax Media has been told they are turning their attention to the Queensland and Australian halfback".

Yes we were after Kieran Foran but the poo hit the propeller regarding legal action about the way Des Hasler was poached and the Foran negotiations stopped. So why not throw us into the DCE thing as well? The Herald does sound convincing but IMO its just a way of upping the ante for DCE's contract money and his manager's commission. Am I a cynic? You better believe it.

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Why would he take Trents spot? DCE plays primarily on the right side during games so he would take Reynolds spot who also plays on the right......but none of this will happen so meh
Ladies and gentleman marley has offically had his say on the matter. So we would have to right halves if we signed him? If so then nope we need a balance of left and right in the halves

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Plus there was an article the other day saying that the senior blokes (whoever's left, Lyon) wanted Foran and DCE to sort out there BS asap as it was dragging on and distracting the world. Queue manager's linking them to other clubs so manly will up there bids last moment. Of course we would tentatively look at them, Des is there old coach but the cost is huge. I further don't understand why it's TH that is under pressure when he won us half a dozen games and NSW the SOO last year while Reynolds went off the rails second half of the season, achieved nothing and can't run straight or tackle? Weird so called info around that doesn't make any sense, the only thing that would be is to replace both our halves at the same time which is huge!

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Dce is a gun and just what we need ,our halves are a massive let down,however i cant see this happening and theres not one bit of fact to back this up
Yep, although Hok and the the Grub played in the winning Origin side last year they don't seem to put it together for the Bulldogs. Hok though is okay; with the surgery done on his knee he will never be a runnung half but he has got a good passing game, a dead accurate goal kicker and a very strong defender. I just wish that when we are in the oppo's 20 metre zone his attacking kicks were more accurate. But the Grub? He is the only five eighth I've seen who covers half the field running sideways. He kills the chances the centre and winger should have and an inside runner is just wasting his time.

I know it will never happen but I would love to see Matt Frawley and Moses Mbye given a shot at half and five eighth.

Qld-Dog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
This may be the second time at two different clubs Hodkinson makes way for DCE lol

I'm all for it tbh.
NNNOOOO!! a Fullback first please!!! Sign up Trent for another 3 years thank you very much. TH did not make way for DCE at all, Trent was lured to the Dogs it was a little luck that Manly had DCE in the lower graders at the time.

A

Alexander the Great

Jwh? Can't stand that guy plus klemmer ran at him too many times last year to get along with each other. If there was a forward to buy Itd have to be George burgess but you'd have to break the bank for him makes me wonder how Rabbitohs will be able to keep him let alone the team they've had for a few years baffles me how they've been under the cap and everyone says Bulldogs are over lol. Pls.
People need to realise before he 2012 season no1 was saying we were over the cap because good Ol kevvy Moore wasn't getting the best out of our boys but Hasler comes along and gets the best out of em and suddenly we were over the cap lol.
Id rather die then see a burgess in our colours

Qld-Dog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Plus there was an article the other day saying that the senior blokes (whoever's left, Lyon) wanted Foran and DCE to sort out there BS asap as it was dragging on and distracting the world. Queue manager's linking them to other clubs so manly will up there bids last moment. Of course we would tentatively look at them, Des is there old coach but the cost is huge. I further don't understand why it's TH that is under pressure when he won us half a dozen games and NSW the SOO last year while Reynolds went off the rails second half of the season, achieved nothing and can't run straight or tackle? Weird so called info around that doesn't make any sense, the only thing that would be is to replace both our halves at the same time which is huge!
Foran wanked on in December and stated that he wanted his future sorted by end of January 2015 so he could concentrate on 2015.
I hope he stays where he is TBH

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Im pretty sure Dce has the talent to play both sides...
Maybe he only plays on the right because Foran can only play on the left that is more believable!
There just rumors that Dce is a bad egg we don't know the truth.
He's a young bloke who has the talent who's trying to provide for his family with what limited time he has in league.
I know what id be doing if I was him, exactly the same thing!
Hodkinsons knees are shot i cant see him lasting too much longer..
But his strength is primarily on the right, why would we recruit him and then switch him too his least favoured side and not get the best out of him? If you recruit a world class half you fit players in around them, not the other way around.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Im not ruling out the story is by a journo that doesnt like us (yeh i know, hard to believe). It could be a plot to unsettle Hodkinson and cause disunity in the team with the season about to start.

Whether DCE is better than Hod or Reynolds is a matter of personal opinion, but the main thing is that even if DCE is better than them both, Hod and Reynolds are not bad enough to need replacing. I also think we could do better with the money DCE would ask for. He wouldnt make a million dollar difference to our team.

Dog Till I Die

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's one paragraph in Proszenko's story that could, conceivably, be described as new and even that is dripping with supposition.
Just who told Fairfax Media that we're turning our attention to DCE? Des?? Raelene?? Jim?? More likely, an exercise called Pin The Tail On The Donkey, or fling enough s*** and it'll stick.
This is the same old formulaic fourth estate crap that goes on with weeks to go before the season's start and nothing to write about. Footy journos are about as predictable as bowel movements.

DIRKDIGGGL3R

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
DCE has the potential to be the next great half, sign me up.

We would probably need to cut some players though as Kas is off contract this year and apart from Hodko we don't really have any other big fish off contract worth nothing.

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
DCE has the potential to be the next great half, sign me up.

We would probably need to cut some players though as Kas is off contract this year and apart from Hodko we don't really have any other big fish off contract worth nothing.
Kasiano must stop getting hurt for him to be a damaging prop like 3 years ago

Status
Not open for further replies.