I had to look myself in the mirror: SBW

Status
Not open for further replies.

beastwood89

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sonny Bill Williams says his triumphant climb to the top of two rugby codes was only possible because he walked out on Canterbury.

Williams has repeatedly apologised for the controversial manner in which he walked out on the Bulldogs in 2008, and he's at pains to emphasise he's not pointing fingers at his former NRL club.

But the dual premiership winner and dual international says he failed to handle a negative football culture at Canterbury and urgently needed to come to terms with the man in the mirror.

Williams let the partying life get the better of him and admits he's "embarrassed" looking back at elements of his past.

The 28-year-old was instrumental in the Roosters' 26-18 grand final win over Manly on Sunday and is currently the most sought-after athlete across league and rugby.

But opening up post-match, Williams said his rise into superstardom has only been possible because of his decision to return to the values that originally moulded him as a footballing prodigy.

"When I was a youngster I fell off. I never touched alcohol until I made first grade," he said.

"Growing up I was really dedicated to my craft and just wanted to be best I could be.

"I lost my way for a couple of years there but I'm proud to say I'm proud of the man I see in the mirror."

Williams, now a devout Muslim, said the culture at the Bulldogs didn't allow him to be the best man he could be.

However, he refuses to pass the buck.

"I've got to take accountability for my actions," he said.

"I guess looking back I went through embarrassing times.

"But I feel confident as a man, as a person that I represent my family as I was brought up to.

"That's my mindset these days and I'm just happy.

"I've had good men around me and good environments and love of family."

As an 18-year-old, Williams won a premiership in his first year of NRL.

He fled to rugby, a maligned figure. But in time he had a World Cup win as an All Black and a Super Rugby title with the Chiefs.

Now, in his first year back in the code he walked out on, he's once again powered his way to the summit.

But as he prepares to make the next big decision of his career, crucially he also has the respect to go with the silverware.

In 2004, it was a question of how good?

Come 2013, Williams is a player who can safely say he's fulfilled his enormous potential.

That's no mean feat, especially given he still has a quarter of his career ahead of him.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I bet he spends a lot of time looking at himself in the mirror.. 'Look at these musses bro!'

LFC Bulldogs

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
His actions at the time actually contributed to the club culture. His drink driving, rooting in public place etc etc were all choices he made..Has he forgotten this. He was 18, he was a kid, kids make mistakes but don't go blaming the club for you stuff ups. It wasn't the club culture that saw him pissed drunk at Northies every sunday night with his mates. He was young and made mistakes. At 20 years old he fails to mention he was pocketing close to half a million dollars a season from a club who supposedly had a negative culture.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
People don't realise how hard he works off the field. He is the best player in the world. He broke the game open for the roosters, very impressive

KelpiesHuskies

Kennel Established
Reaction score
the guy is a superstar no doubt about that. he has won my respect.

Raysie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There's not too many players out there who were superstars in their teens and have been able to maintain/improve their game over their career. Only guys like Fittler and SBW come to mind.

I noticed during the presentation on the field after the game that there was a little girl in a wheelchair. Most players receiving their rings/medals either skipped her completey or gave her a handshake. SBW actually stopped got on his knees and gave her a kiss. It's something people will miss, but I can tell you it's something that little girl won't forget.

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
Individuals and Clubs should routinely look at themselves in the mirror. You never know what parsley bit is stuck between your teeth after devouring a bowl of tabouli.

Seriously though, our Club had too many stars that were getting cocky and complacent because of our dominance at that time. We live and we learn.

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Good on him. He is dedicated to his craft, that line reminded me of Money Mayweather.

The Detailer

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
This is a man that has everything he is a superstar, I am probably going cope some for this, but up until half way threw this season I hated this bloke with a passion but why cause he walked out on the team I support and love, he was young and made a mistake and will regret it for the rest of his life as if he did not walk out on the Dogs and League he would go down as the best player ever to play the game, and I can be 100% on this, the best ever, the way he has handled him self since his return has been exceptional, Do not think for 1 minute that I would not love to see this ultimate athlete in a Dog jersey again but sadly I do not think it will ever happen, He and only he won the Roosters the comp this year no one else I don't care who did this and who did that around him he did it all, then he tops it off by getting down and giving that girl in the wheelchair a kiss which she will never forget when every other muppets just wanted to get to there premiership ring, last but not least if he chooses Union which is likely 95% likely well then I hope he does come back to the Blue and White and give us just 1 season cause I know deep down if he wins us a premiership it will be the one that means the most to him... Congratulations to a champion that we will never see like him ever again..

playon

Kennel Established
Reaction score
[video=youtube;6C39Pw593PY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C39Pw593PY[/video]
a young SBW & JT celebrating our 2004 grand final win, it's a damn shame things worked out the way they have & we lost the core of that side

Sonny Bill Williams Reni Maitua Johnathan Thurston Roy Asotasi Willie Tonga Braith Anasta (Nate Myles 2005 debut NRL season) to think that it's been close to 10 years and these guys are still playing at the top level the dynasty we could've built from that crop of talent. EDIT and how did I forget BIG WILLIE who at the time was still only 24

[video=youtube;gDoYWRB2p9o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDoYWRB2p9o[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You can blame most part of that comment on malcolm noad. Worst thing to happen to our club.^^^ the prick was a cancer an all the players hated him.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
An exceptional player. Well done to Sonny and the Roosters.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That still seems like a touch of blame the club for his actions anyway despite saying he was at pains not to blame the club.

As a youngster i didn't touch alcohol until i turned 18 either. Just like SBW i had to wait until they let me into pubs or bottle shops to buy my alcohol. Before 18 it was virtually impossible for me to get hold of it through honest means. Yeah he can blame the clubs culture for losing his focus and becoming a pisspot but coincidentally he had just turned 18 as well. Let us not forget that minor little detail and disregard the fact that others at the club had no issues with avoiding the drinking culture.

It's just another handy excuse to gloss over the fact that he walked out on our club. Forgive that if you must but please don't buy this crap about it being the clubs culture that made him walk away. HE WANTED MORE MONEY AND THE CLUB DID NOT GIVE IT TO HIM.

At the end of the day he should have more trouble looking himself in the mirror for walking away from his club/mates/fans than he does for misbehaving when drunk. Thats just my perspective on this though and i'm sure others will disagree. Can he please go back to rugby now so i can stop reading about him here.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Awesome player no doubt but it annoys me how him and khoder nasser blame bulldogs for alchohol culture ,welcome to the real world where you have decisions to make ,the fact is nasser made him break contract so he'd take over his affairs and make more money from him the mind games he played with sbw saying he was being treated bad by dogs etc was pathetic

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
a young SBW & JT celebrating our 2004 grand final win, it's a damn shame things worked out the way they have & we lost the core of that side

Sonny Bill Williams Reni Maitua Johnathan Thurston Roy Asotasi Willie Tonga Braith Anasta (Nate Myles 2005 debut NRL season) to think that it's been close to 10 years and these guys are still playing at the top level the dynasty we could've built from that crop of talent. EDIT and how did I forget BIG WILLIE who at the time was still only 24

We would never have kept all those players under the cap after the GF win, so there is no dynasty we could have built.

playon

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We would never have kept all those players under the cap after the GF win, so there is no dynasty we could have built.
didn't expect us to keep ALL of them though we could/should have keep a majority of those guys

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Williams, now a devout Muslim, said the culture at the Bulldogs didn't allow him to be the best man he could be.
Williams was one of th major CAUSES of the bad culture at the dogs. The club didnt make it a bad culture, idiots like him and mason did.

Its like he bashed his head against a brick wall for 10 minutes them blamed the club for the headache he got.

Hes still a dickhead. Talented for sure, but a dickhead.

playon

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Williams was one of th major CAUSES of the bad culture at the dogs. The club didnt make it a bad culture, idiots like him and mason did.

Its like he bashed his head against a brick wall for 10 minutes them blamed the club for the headache he got.

Hes still a dickhead. Talented for sure, but a dickhead.

He may well have been part of the reasons for the turmoil at our club back in those days but mate he debuted at 19 years old & left what maybe 22 Y/0

I have No issues with bagging him out for walking out on the club back in those days but it's obvious to most people that he has changed and turned his life around.

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
come back to us Sonny. Come back.

Tegga

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
All you have to do is look at the exchange between him and mason in round 20 or whatever to realize he hasn't changed quite as much as he'd like you to think

Status
Not open for further replies.