Hazem at Ashfield Bunnings last night

Status
Not open for further replies.

RookieDog

Dogs1
Reaction score
I was at Ashfield Bunnings last night with the missus buying tile grout for our kitchen. By chance Hazem was there for a promotioinal thing re Father's Day.

I had a long chat with him and we talked about his try in the Dogs 2004 Grand Final victory and how Hegarty just stood there and looked at him score because he thought he was held. Hazem said he is really proud of the try becuase for him it symbolises what you can achieve if you never give up. (You would remember it took him a while to ground the ball and he really had to fight to do it).

He talked a bit about SBW leaving the Dogs in the middle of the night and Haz was not happy about it at all. He still seemed upset even all these years later. He said that at least Barba didn't run off without notice.

He then told me that he thinks Tim Lafai is leaving the Dogs at the end of 2013 as at the time his contract came up for negotiation the Dogs didn't know they were losing Barba. I asked him if he was sure and he said "Yes, pretty sure". Let's all hope that's not true.

The meeting concluded by him signing a photo and it was a really positive experience. Hazem is a real gentlemen and his time at Bunnings was a marathon 3 hours but he didn't seem to mind - he is very generous with his time and said he is happy to give back to the local community.

Last edited by a moderator:

MP4 - Eedz

C.O.T.B
Reaction score
Would be gutted if the Lafai story was true, probably was, he's too good to be player reserves at 23

He could injury himself tomorrow, and no one would care...

Hope this Barba saga has chanegd things for him

Bakes

The REAL Bakes
Reaction score
A true Bulldogs Legend, thanks for posting.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I rememeber complimenting Haz on THAT conversion from the sideline to beat Newcaastle in 2002, whilst on the same flight as him only a couple of year ago. He quietly thanked me and said he was amazed people still remembered it....

Remembered it? I will never forget... it sits alongside Steve Waugh scoring that century v England on the last ball of the day at the SCG as the two most jizz-worthy moments I have seen live with my own eyes.....

silva

Utility
Reaction score
What a legend Hazem was and always will be..

If the Dogs let Lafai slip that is a major blunder, whether Barba hadve stayed or not

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
****... lafai is a up and comer.

I don't get it ... Lafai is signed till the end of 2014? Then again whats a contract worth now days!!!

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I was asked the other day who i thought was the best of all time....In my opinion, as a mentor The answer was clear that it was Hazem.

I watched this man start his Career at belmore and from there he never looked back.

Growing up watching him and learning from a man that never let the spotlight get the better of him, whilst conjuring up so many records is why i wouldnt be surprised if this man one day becomes a genuine leader of the community.

El masri for Mayor maybe?? One day =)

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Great ambassador for Rugby League..top player!

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wouldn't worry about Lafai. He's already come out on twitter saying he'll be at the dogs next year.

God_speed

Waterboy
Reaction score
Thanks for posting; Hazem is definitely a legend, thorough gentleman with skill on the field and integrity off it; the rest of the boys should be learning a lot from him.

dogkat

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was at Ashfield Bunnings last night with the missus buying tile grout for our kitchen. By chance Hazem was there for a promotioinal thing re Father's Day.

I had a long chat with him and we talked about his try in the Dogs 2004 Grand Final victory and how Hegarty just stood there and looked at him score because he thought he was held. Hazem said he is really proud of the try becuase for him it symbolises what you can achieve if you never give up. (You would remember it took him a while to ground the ball and he really had to fight to do it).

He talked a bit about SBW leaving the Dogs in the middle of the night and Haz was not happy about it at all. He still seemed upset even all these years later. He said that at least Barba didn't run off without notice.

He then told me that he thinks Tim Lafai is leaving the Dogs at the end of 2013 as at the time his contract came up for negotiation the Dogs didn't know they were losing Barba. I asked him if he was sure and he said "Yes, pretty sure". Let's all hope that's not true.

The meeting concluded by him signing a photo and it was a really positive experience. Hazem is a real gentlemen and his time at Bunnings was a marathon 3 hours but he didn't seem to mind - he is very generous with his time and said he is happy to give back to the local community.
I bet you would have totally forgotten about the tile grout if you were alone. I also bet that the person that had to go and collect it and buy it was your missus.

Did anyone else get a chance to talk to him :p

Snowmann

Party Rocker
Reaction score
I rememeber complimenting Haz on THAT conversion from the sideline to beat Newcaastle in 2002, whilst on the same flight as him only a couple of year ago. He quietly thanked me and said he was amazed people still remembered it....

Remembered it? I will never forget... it sits alongside Steve Waugh scoring that century v England on the last ball of the day at the SCG as the two most jizz-worthy moments I have seen live with my own eyes.....
One of the best games my eyes have ever had the pleasure to watch...HAZEM = LEGEND

N

Natboy

Champion bloke. Never understood why he is such good friends with Adam Houda

billybob

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What a legend hazem is :grinning:.

F**k me if we loose lafai too that will be very disappointing. Who the hell is going to take his spot and barba's spot? Even if morris moves to FB who the hell is going to be the other centre?

Kila R Ralai

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There should be more of Hazems in the NRL a true gentleman of the sport. A legend.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
One of the best games my eyes have ever had the pleasure to watch...HAZEM = LEGEND
It made the hour hours standing on the hill staing intot he sun worth it. I was even standing in the same line of sight, so got to watch it sail between the posts. Getting goosebumps now thinking about it.

Some random fat dude in a skin tight mid-80s jersey gave me a bear hug.

immortalbulldog

Eternal Doggy
Reaction score
Would be gutted if the Lafai story was true, probably was, he's too good to be player reserves at 23

He could injury himself tomorrow, and no one would care...

Hope this Barba saga has chanegd things for him
Well my mail is we signed chase Stanley. If lafai is leaving it makes sense now. However I also heard lafai was a done deal at sharks but ASADA thing put negotiations on hold

immortalbulldog

Eternal Doggy
Reaction score
What a legend Hazem was and always will be..

If the Dogs let Lafai slip that is a major blunder, whether Barba hadve stayed or not
Just think with his goal kicking we'd probably in the top 4 this year

N

Natboy

It made the hour hours standing on the hill staing intot he sun worth it. I was even standing in the same line of sight, so got to watch it sail between the posts. Getting goosebumps now thinking about it.

Some random fat dude in a skin tight mid-80s jersey gave me a bear hug.
I must've been sitting right near you & had to watch the kick through my fingers I was that nervous.
Was great giving it back to the bogans that we had copped it from all game before the comeback!

Status
Not open for further replies.