Desperate Eels pay top dollar in scramble to boost talent pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

playon

Kennel Established
Reaction score

Canterbury prop Aiden Tolman is believed to have benefited from Parramatta's inability to recruit big-name players, after the Eels splashed out with a $2 million, three-year offer.
Parramatta's 50-0 capitulation to Sydney Roosters on Monday couldn't have come at a worse time as the beleaguered club has already been forced to offer ''overs'' to try to secure big names. The offer said to have been put forward to Tolman, whose only representative experience is one match for Country Origin in 2011, illustrates just how deep the Eels need to dig into their coffers to attract players.

The $650,000-a-season offer comes after several high-profile targets had rejected the club's overtures. However, those who took the bait had commanded figures that were described by a source as ''Lotto-like''.
Parramatta's hopes to make some sort of impact on the market and encourage others to join them are pinned on the 24-year-old Tolman, who played for the Australian Schoolboys in 2006 before signing with Melbourne the following season. He played for the Storm in their 2009 grand-final victory over the Eels, although the title was stripped of the club because of salary-cap breaches.

He made an immediate impression with the Bulldogs in 2011, winning the Dr George Peponis Medal after he averaged more than 100 metres a game and played for long periods.
While he has continued to develop strongly as a first-grader, Tolman started the season ranked behind James Graham and Sam Kasiano, while another Eels target, 19-year-old prop David Klemmer, is being hailed as Canterbury's ''next big thing''.

Despite signing former NSW Origin coach Ricky Stuart, the Eels have struggled to recruit players to galvanise their roster.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...talent-pool-20130403-2h77h.html#ixzz2PPDuMQri

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Tolman is a great player but that is good coin for him. I doubt the Bulldogs can match that.

playon

Kennel Established
Reaction score
stoofy, if the figure quoted is legit Tolman would be mad to knock it back & you know what good-luck to him. I don't think any Dog's fan can say a bad word about the bloke, he rips in every-week never complains or whinges it'll be a shame to see him go... but fuck he's underated

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If Tolman accepts their offer then I can't see us losing Pritchard.

Breeding pups

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Tolman is one of the most under-rated players in the last 5 years. he puts in 110% week in week out. we need to try and keep him but if that sort of money gets thrown at him, I WISH HIM ALL THE BEST, and would be welcomed back anytime.

Doggiezbrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Bloody lol, c'mon eels? 650k for a prop, you got to be joking? 300k for Harrison & 450 k for lussick. You got to be joking me! Hopoate for 800k? I love seeing the eels fail than anything else. Back to back wooden spooners. It's just poor management and rentention that the players quoted got away.
If you go and chase the money the money aiden. Say goodbye to any chance of winning of a premiership and playing representive football. Possibly your career! I would hate to see Tolman go, captain material in my eyes.

Fcuk the eels!

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
lol this is bloody hilarious. Surely Tolman can't go to Parramatta, this would surely be the end of his career?

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
lol this is bloody hilarious. Surely Tolman can't go to Parramatta, this would surely be the end of his career?
He is only 24 years old so he has still quite a few years in front of him.

Pom_81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He is only 24 years old so he has still quite a few years in front of him.
You mean the way the career of (then 24 year old) NSW Origin rep Justin Poore went upon signing for Parramatta?

(In case you're interested, Wakefield Trinity Wildcats are currently 10th of 14 Super League teams).

Bakes

The REAL Bakes
Reaction score
Tolman is a great player, a work horse. But I can understand that we will have to let him go, there is no way we will get close to that offer with all the other players we are trying to keep.
He would be mad not to take it.

CeeEss

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He'll win premierships at the Bulldogs, he won't do that at the Eels.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
How is he not playing Origin?

If he was a Queenslander I have no doubts he'd have been playing for the last few years.

chris_e_fresh

The Virtual One
Reaction score
money aint everything id rather win a premiership or go close to it, then play witha team that gets pumped 50-0

Bry

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That is massive coin. Good luck to him if he can get it. He has worked his arse off for us and deserves whatever he can get.

Blue&White

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How is he not playing Origin?

If he was a Queenslander I have no doubts he'd have been playing for the last few years.
Talk about irony and bias. Despite calls for Aiden's inclusion in the Origin team, that grub Stuart didn't choose him even though he was one of the in form props. Now that Stuart is desperate, suddenly Aiden is good enough. Poor form sticky. Is there any player the Eels haven't been linked to?

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Parra must be really giving their salary cap a touch up for next year.

Corey Norman - $500k
Chris Sandow - $550k
Will Hopoate - $500k to $800k
Darcy Lussick - $450k
Daniel Harrison - $300k
Jarryd Hayne - $650k

Aiden Tolman - $650k

Signed Hayne on a massive amount, now supposidely Tolman.

Zerotackle have removed the article at the moment though.

Cammo

Bulldogs Tragic
Reaction score
I doubt all those players are on that much money. Don't believe what the media spin about players salaries

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I wouldnt swap aiden for any other prop in the game, however if 650 offer is legitimate then il bite my tongue and wish him all the best. Easily the most underrated player in the nrl. I remember last years game vs manly at brookie where he was everywhere. 1st person down in kick chase, 2 hitups per set and about 100 tackles.
plus a champion bloke and captain material. But for 650 id want to splash that money on securing a halfback for our future.

Status
Not open for further replies.