Billy Slater – The guy who doesn’t mean to be dirty, but is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kratos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Woke up this morning and couldn't get back to sleep so I wrote this. Thinking about sending it to rleague.com:

Upfront I will declare my bias as a Canterbury supporter, however, I caveat that fact with this article being evidence based.
I admire Billy Slater, I think he is the best fullback in Australia, a fantastic role-model and an incredible athlete. Like everyone else on this planet, Billy Slater has faults. One of these faults is that sometimes Billy Slater does dirty things on the football field.

I draw attention to the first incident from memory, the 2008 NRL Grand Final. That day, Billy employed an alarming tactic of charging in feet-first, Bruce Lee style into opposition players attempting to ground the ball. It was a terribly dangerous tactic, so much so that the NRL introduced a rule before the 2009 NRL season outlawing the practice.

In the 2012 Grand Final, when it was too late to affect a try-saving tackle, Billy Slater dropped his knees into Sam Perrett whilst he was in the act of scoring. This action sparked the melee in which James Graham inexplicably bit Slater’s ear, for which he was adequately punished.

In round 2 of the 2013 NRL season in the Cowboys vs Storm game in Townsville, Slater sprinted out wide with a shoulder charge to wipe-out Antonio Winterstein with an illegal shoulder charge, for which he was charged.

In round 3 of the 2013 NRL season in the Storm vs Bulldogs game in Melbourne, Slater was penalised for extending his leg and striking David Klemmer in the face with his foot. The incident was deemed as foul play and put on report.

You would expect an esteemed coach such as Craig Bellamy to defend his player’s integrity and question the ruling. However, the incredible suggestion by him and Storm captain Cameron Smith that Klemmer was at fault for being within the vicinity of Slater and striking distance is ludicrous and what seems a deliberate ploy to save Slater from suspension.

All this being the case, I still have the utmost respect for Billy Slater as a NRL player and person. What I object to is this purported myth that he is of infallible character that never engages in poor conduct.

RookieDog

Dogs1
Reaction score
Woke up this morning and couldn't get back to sleep so I wrote this. Thinking about sending it to rleague.com:

Upfront I will declare my bias as a Canterbury supporter, however, I caveat that fact with this article being evidence based.
I admire Billy Slater, I think he is the best fullback in Australia, a fantastic role-model and an incredible athlete. Like everyone else on this planet, Billy Slater has faults. One of these faults is that sometimes Billy Slater does dirty things on the football field.

I draw attention to the first incident from memory, the 2008 NRL Grand Final. That day, Billy employed an alarming tactic of charging in feet-first, Bruce Lee style into opposition players attempting to ground the ball. It was a terribly dangerous tactic, so much so that the NRL introduced a rule before the 2009 NRL season outlawing the practice.

In the 2012 Grand Final, when it was too late to affect a try-saving tackle, Billy Slater dropped his knees into Sam Perrett whilst he was in the act of scoring. This action sparked the melee in which James Graham inexplicably bit Slater’s ear, for which he was adequately punished.

In round 2 of the 2013 NRL season in the Cowboys vs Storm game in Townsville, Slater sprinted out wide with a shoulder charge to wipe-out Antonio Winterstein with an illegal shoulder charge, for which he was charged.

In round 3 of the 2013 NRL season in the Storm vs Bulldogs game in Melbourne, Slater was penalised for extending his leg and striking David Klemmer in the face with his foot. The incident was deemed as foul play and put on report.

You would expect an esteemed coach such as Craig Bellamy to defend his player’s integrity and question the ruling. However, the incredible suggestion by him and Storm captain Cameron Smith that Klemmer was at fault for being within the vicinity of Slater and striking distance is ludicrous and what seems a deliberate ploy to save Slater from suspension.

All this being the case, I still have the utmost respect for Billy Slater as a NRL player and person. What I object to is this purported myth that he is of infallible character that never engages in poor conduct.
Mr Kratos,

That's a good post.

I think you should change the word "inexplicably" re James Graham to "allegedly". James Graham has never conceded he bit anyone and maintains that position.

Re Slater's kick to Klemmer's head last night, whether intentional or not his leg never should have been in such a position so that something like the contact with a players head is on the cards.

At best (for Slater) I think it was a careless or reckless action. He should get at least 1 week suspension.

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Repped! strong post.. LOL at Bruce Lee kick i remember that!

chris_e_fresh

The Virtual One
Reaction score
nani got a red card against real madrid for a studs up challenge

if he meant or not billy should have a few weeks off

Kratos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't suspend the Australian fullback. They will probably change the rules to accommodate his style instead.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
MMA rules for Slater. **** would get off if he shot someone oin the field.

Stinky Wizzleteats

Kennel Established
Gilded
Reaction score
I never see goal keepers kick their legs out like Billy did when going up for a ball. He always does it, he is a dirty SOB.

I remember a few years back when attacking players would get the knee up just before the defender came in for a tackle, Brent Kite did it all the time. It was outlawed, this is similar.

The-Game

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Slater, Smith, Cronk the Nrl's protected species.

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
4 simple words describe slater....... hes a farking grub

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
nani got a red card against real madrid for a studs up challenge

if he meant or not billy should have a few weeks off
I agree. If there is say a 3 man tackle on a attacker and he gets lifted above the horizontal, one of the defenders will get charged regardless if it is intentional or not. Sometimes these tackles go wrong with even just a minor lift. Between the 3 defenders it is difficult to work out if it is really intentional but the penalty will still apply.

How is this situation different?
\
Slater, Smith, Bellemy & co say its not intentional and thats the end of it, all ok and let him off.

Slater should have copped 10 in the bin and we would have won the game. A suspension to Slater now will make no difference to us at all.

winton08

Waterboy
Reaction score
Can't suspend slater cause he is the only person people in Melbourne buy game tickets to see. They are already broke and his suspension would cost them money.

Breeding pups

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
B slater and C smith are great players but are two of the biggest grubs in the game

Snowmann

Party Rocker
Reaction score
If Hindmarsh has the arse crack to call Ennis a grub, lord knows what he really thinks about those two grubby slimeball *****.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Early on in his career, slater stomped on someone and got 6 weeks. So anyone who says "he's not dirty" or "that's not his go" is kidding themselves. He's been charged with dangerous conduct and reckless conduct on separate occasions, not many players have that "honour" !

OTTO

Playing Pablo
Reaction score
Early on in his career, slater stomped on someone and got 6 weeks. So anyone who says "he's not dirty" or "that's not his go" is kidding themselves. He's been charged with dangerous conduct and reckless conduct on separate occasions, not many players have that "honour" !
Wests I think. Ill never forget when Sherwin set up a try in 2004 finals. Thats the day I realised Slater had dirt in his game.

Status
Not open for further replies.