Status
Not open for further replies.

will.i.am

Benchwarmer
Reaction score
Josh Massoud
The Sunday Telegraph
May 27, 2012 12:00AM

CANTERBURY'S backline crisis has deepened after tryscoring ace Michael Lett suddenly quit the club with an NRL start in his keeping.

In a move that stunned teammates, Lett turned down first-grade selection for last Monday night's clash with Cronulla to pursue a new career in the coal mines.

His sudden departure left the Bulldogs short out wide after the loss of wingers Steve Turner (knee), Bryson Goodwin (spleen), Mitch Brown (knee) and Luke McDougall (elbow).

Coach Des Hasler had no option but to escalate his bid for Warriors three-quarter Krisnan Inu, who arrived at Belmore on Wednesday and will slot straight into the backline for tomorrow night's game against the Roosters.

Lett was Hasler's first choice to fill the breach. But when informed of his promotion from NSW Cup last week, the 25-year-old told Hasler he wanted to retire.

Given Lett had posted 65 tries in his past 49 lower-grade outings, including 14 this season, the decision came as a bombshell.

When contacted this week, the former Dragons and Roosters flyer denied he exchanged words with Hasler.

"I've got a family of four to feed and I needed to find a definite career path to support them," Lett said.

"There's a lot of stories going around, but I told Des the truth. It was a decision based on my family."

Having made just 14 NRL appearances since his debut for the Roosters in 2005, Lett said he could not survive on second-tier money any longer.

He's now started work in a coal mine near Wollongong and intends to play in the local Illawarra league.

"I've played reserve grade most of my life, so this year was not much different," he said. "I can't play reserve grade for the rest of my life. I had to sort something out."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...hasler-in-a-hole/story-e6frexnr-1226367805296

MAL75E

Man Of The Match
Reaction score
Thats fair enough good luck to him and his new job

The-Game

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can respect if that's what he wants to do. But kinda crazy to turn down at the minimum 150-200k contract prob more, to work in a mine for less. Just shows not everybody is all about money.

MAD DOG

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
well what did we expect really.....
Having Goodwin, Wright, Lafai and MacDougal all in front of him for a first grade spot would have made the decision for him. Even the signing of M Brown aswell to top that. It would have been frustrating for him as hes scored a billion tries in a handful of games and couldnt get a start...
And then when Des finally needed him out of desperation, he turned his back and said yeah mate, now that you desperatly need me... no thanks, goodbye!!
Im with him on that but oh well i wish him the best...

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I can respect if that's what he wants to do. But kinda crazy to turn down at the minimum 150-200k contract prob more, to work in a mine for less. Just shows not everybody is all about money.
What makes you think he would've gotten 150-200K if he stayed?

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
he might have been on reasonable coin 150 ish k a season, and going to the mines might be less, but the big difference is in the mines you have a career, a secure job, in rugby leage you are only as good as your last game

playon

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Good luck Letty,
This guy had more natural talent(footballing ability) than some of the mugs in our 1st grade backline yes I mean Goodwin& Wright. How those 2 got a run ahead of lett is amazing. Krisnan Inu is in a very similar situation as lett all the talent/skill in the world but something in their heads(must be a mental issue) keep them from reaching their full potential.

Given Lett had posted 65 tries in his past 49 lower-grade outings, including 14 this season, the decision came as a bombshell.
Can any1 honestly say Goodwin or wright would've bagged more tries

No chance

No one can blame him kids 25,& has a family of four to feed
Good luck Champ

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
lol Lett. You tool. You finally get a shot at FG, and you quit. Whether or not he could support his family from NRL $$ depended on his own form when given the chance. He obviously has no faith in his own ability. we dont need players like that. If you think you cant win, you will lose.

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
cant be upset at the kid....he has to provide for his family so i wish him all the best :grinning:

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Probably making more money at the mines than he is at the Club. GOod luck to him.

The-Game

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What makes you think he would've gotten 150-200K if he stayed?
I dunno, I assumed players wouldn't be on contracts under 100k. I have no idea what their contracts and salaries are.

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
*reads headline on website and wonders "what's this about?"*

*clicks on title*

*reads article*

*corky face*

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The timing is more of a surprise than anything. I would have expected him to play the last game at NRL level before retiring. I hope he enjoys the new career. It wouldn't surprise me if he winds up playing elsewhere by next year though. If he'd sorted out the poor points in his game he'd have become a pretty handy player.

Abdul..

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He wouldn't get this much.I think $80k or so. Even if he did get the higher figure, how long would it last. He said he is pursuing a career, hence is thinking longer term.

Packy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fark. It says 2nd tier contract. He could be on anything.. mimimun top tier is $55k so it may be even less than that. lets suggest that he is on 70k. Living in sydney. Now lets suggeat he gets a job in the mines for the same and lives down the Gong... 4kids..

All the best Lett. You did your self proud and gave all you could and played more 1st grade than any of us niff nuffs.

Trendsetter

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Good luck to him, only the men with families here can fully understand why he made his choice. Everything comes second to family..

Qld-Dog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Josh Massoud
The Sunday Telegraph
May 27, 2012 12:00AM

CANTERBURY'S backline crisis has deepened after tryscoring ace Michael Lett suddenly quit the club with an NRL start in his keeping.

In a move that stunned teammates, Lett turned down first-grade selection for last Monday night's clash with Cronulla to pursue a new career in the coal mines.

His sudden departure left the Bulldogs short out wide after the loss of wingers Steve Turner (knee), Bryson Goodwin (spleen), Mitch Brown (knee) and Luke McDougall (elbow).

Coach Des Hasler had no option but to escalate his bid for Warriors three-quarter Krisnan Inu, who arrived at Belmore on Wednesday and will slot straight into the backline for tomorrow night's game against the Roosters.

Lett was Hasler's first choice to fill the breach. But when informed of his promotion from NSW Cup last week, the 25-year-old told Hasler he wanted to retire.

When contacted this week, the former Dragons and Roosters flyer denied he exchanged words with Hasler.

"I've got a family of four to feed and I needed to find a definite career path to support them," Lett said.

"There's a lot of stories going around, but I told Des the truth. It was a decision based on my family."

Having made just 14 NRL appearances since his debut for the Roosters in 2005, Lett said he could not survive on second-tier money any longer.

He's now started work in a coal mine near Wollongong and intends to play in the local Illawarra league.

"I've played reserve grade most of my life, so this year was not much different," he said. "I can't play reserve grade for the rest of my life. I had to sort something out."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...hasler-in-a-hole/story-e6frexnr-1226367805296
When the going gets tough, the tough get going!! Lett, obviously has shown his true colours!! good luck and good-bye!!!

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Lett has to realise that he is only a good reserve grade player and an ok NRL player.

May sound harsh but that is reality.
From what he said he knew he was a NSW Cup player.

Probably got a job offer for a career that he needed to take now, the offer could have been taken off the table in 2 months time. No one here knows what went on, some people get over football.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He will score 100 tries in the local comp haha

Status
Not open for further replies.