Harby

Trance Family
Reaction score
don't rule out bellamy, i hear

although it seems unlikely

marsvolta

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Greenberg: Hi Des. First of all, let me congratulate you on the grand final win.
Des: Thank you. And let me thank you for helping me jack up my asking price which, I am happy to say, Manly will meet.
Greenberg: Oh. Ahh, well. This is a little awkward. [Des hangs up] Des? Are you there? Bugger.

Greenberg: Hi Ricky. I hope you don't mind that it's taken us a while to contact you.
Ricky: No, not at all mate.
Greenberg; So -
Ricky: No thanks. You had your chance, but you blew it.
Greenberg: Oh. Aah, well. This is a little awkward. [Ricky hangs up]. Ricky? Are you still there? Bugger.

Greenberg: JD, how are you my man.
JD: About f*cking time, Todd.
Greenberg: It gives me great pleasure to inform you that after an exhaustive selection process, spanning two and a half continents, and an extremely impressive shortlist, you've come out on top, in fact clearly ahead of the pack in all of our criteria.
JD: Couldn't get Des or Ricky, eh?
Greenberg: So let's make a time to nut out the details of your contract.
JD: Let me think about it.
Greenberg: What? [JD hangs up] JD? JD, you still there buddy? Bugger.

Allan

Man of Steel
Reaction score
Greenberg: Hi Des. First of all, let me congratulate you on the grand final win.
Des: Thank you. And let me thank you for helping me jack up my asking price which, I am happy to say, Manly will meet.
Greenberg: Oh. Ahh, well. This is a little awkward. [Des hangs up] Des? Are you there? Bugger.

Greenberg: Hi Ricky. I hope you don't mind that it's taken us a while to contact you.
Greenberg; So -
Greenberg: Oh. Aah, well. This is a little awkward. [Ricky hangs up]. Ricky? Are you still there? Bugger.

Greenberg: It gives me great pleasure to inform you that after an exhaustive selection process, spanning two and a half continents, and an extremely impressive shortlist, you've come out on top, in fact clearly ahead of the pack in all of our criteria.
One possible scenario. Another is that he has assured JD that he will be in the mix next year no matter what.

Pom_81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Greenberg; So -

Haha

Gabs

Dumbfounded
Reaction score

Greenberg; So -

You have an over active imagination.

You'd have to be very naive to think Greenberg would wait until after the GF to contact Hasler if that is the man they are after.

Karat

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
as if they don't know who the coach is already....

marsvolta

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
correct.

fwiw i don't doubt that dogs mgmt has indeed contacted, in one way or another, dymock, hasler and stuart. i just suspect they haven't made a decision, which means keeping everyone on hold until they do. a risky business, but not at all beyond them.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score

You'd have to be very naive to think Greenberg would wait until after the GF to contact Hasler if that is the man they are after.
maybe to his manager but not to des personally, Des is a perfectionist. Wont let his future get in the way of the gf.

Gabs

Dumbfounded
Reaction score
Next week is going to be a big week, me thinks!

marsvolta

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
smelling a bit like bennett's botched deal w roosters

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
that doesnt make sense, wayne was pissed because the club he was headint to had leaks, if this was the case des would be dirty manly are doing it. it would work for us. i still dont think thats the case i dont think des gives a **** whats in the media all he wants is the title then he will worry about the rest.

i look at it two ways if manly win he can feel hes reached his goals there, and look at a fresh start with better pay and a challenge and a board he can walk in and get along with easily as he will be able to make it his way ALOT and tg etc will be all to good with him.

negitive is manly could then use more money to make him stay, might feel like he can build a dynasty with the players he has.

i hope we get him above any signing or any other coach. however i still have doubts and wont be to sad aslong as we snag ricky after it.

dogie

thruthick&thin
Reaction score
how is our club in such a better financial position compared to manly?

it can't all come down to fan attendance surely!?!?

marsvolta

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
that doesnt make sense,
i don't remember the details, just that it appeared close to a done deal at the time then it fell apart. oh well, turned out well for the roosters, they got brian smith instead of bennett...

my favourite part in all of this, apart from the possibility of snagging a great coach, is the reaction from manly fans. nice to see them sweat a little

ElMagicElMasri

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Manly greats warn over Hasler bidding war

Manly great Max Krilich claims the Sea Eagles should not break the bank to keep coach Des Hasler as the build-up to Sunday's NRL grand final took an unexpected twist.

Reports of a $2.2 million offer from Canterbury for Hasler's services surfaced on Saturday, the speculation over his future the last thing the Sea Eagles would have wanted a day out from their tussle with the Warriors.

While Hasler has refused to speak on the matter, it is alleged he was in talks with chairman Scott Penn on Friday afternoon in light of the apparent $750,000-a-season offer.

But Krilich warned Manly against attempting to outbid the cashed-up Bulldogs.

"It's up to Des, how much do you want," said Krilich, speaking at Kangaroos reunion in Sydney on Saturday which was honouring the 1982 `Invincibles' side he captained.

"If you've got a budget and your budget's a certain figure you say `no, go away. If you want to go, go.'

"You can't go bleeding the well dry - especially if it's someone else's well."

Despite being tagged the `silvertails' of the competition - the Sea Eagles have nowhere near the financial backing of the Bulldogs - who can call on the deep pockets of the Canterbury Leagues Club.

The latest development will only add to the siege mentality which Hasler has fuelled throughout the club's charge to the decider, with one Manly insider claiming speculation over Hasler's future has been generated in a bid to destabilise their grand final preparations.

Former Manly prop Mark Carroll - a teammate of Hasler's in the 1990s - said he could not begrudge the premiership-winning mentor taking the big money on offer.

"He deserves top ranking now, he's certainly proved he's in the elite coaches and you're only in the game for a short time so good luck to him," Carroll said on Saturday.

"I look at Des Hasler like a Wayne Bennett - Wayne went to St George Illawarra, did his job, pushed them through and won a comp and he's gone to another (club).

"If Dessie wins tomorrow, he's won two, he's made all these players into great players, let him move on.

"It's nice to be wanted and it sounds like Dessie is."

But not all former Sea Eagles believe the Manly should roll over in the wake of the large money on offer, with Graham Eadie claiming the club could prey on Hasler's long association with the club.

"I think Dessie's shown a lot of loyalty over the years," said Eadie.

"He's got a lot of money - I don't think it's the money that's going to take him over there.

"He lives in the area, he's got a lot of friends there and he's doing well with the players he's got.

"I'd hate to see him go."

While Hasler's opposite Ivan Cleary was happy to speak to the media on Saturday, the Sea Eagles maintained the silence they have kept since Thursday's grand final breakfast, with the club holding training at an undisclosed venue on Saturday.
Sauce: http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-new...n-over-hasler-bidding-war-20111001-1l29f.html

ElMagicElMasri

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Also: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...ip-on-des-hasler/story-e6frg7mf-1226154514915

Manly Sea Eagles keep a tight grip on Des Hasler

THE final days of Manly's preparation for the NRL grand final threaten to be overshadowed by speculation over the future of Des Hasler after it emerged the Sea Eagles had taken legal advice to determine the strength of their contractual hold on the premiership-winning coach.

Hasler agreed to a one-year extension with Manly earlier this year but the club was so concerned by recent reports he was a target for Canterbury that they sought a second opinion. It is understood that legal advice, which was relayed to Hasler, indicated the parties had an ironclad agreement for next season.

That hasn't stopped speculation the Bulldogs are preparing a big-money bid for Hasler. One source told The Weekend Australian yesterday that the Bulldogs were ready to lodge a deal that would earn Hasler $750,000 a season, making him one of the highest paid coaches in the competition.

It is believed the Bulldogs are also preparing a deal for recruitment manager Noel Cleal. They have been searching for a talent scout since Peter Mulholland announced he would join Wayne Bennett at Newcastle next year.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

Between them, Hasler and Cleal have turned Manly into a perennial force in the NRL and their exit would have serious ramifications for the club.

Of most concern is the impact Hasler's future would have on the players. Hasler commands enormous respect in his squad and it is believed at least two players have get-out clauses should he leave.

The Weekend Australian was told fullback Brett Stewart was one of those players. Hasler was one of Stewart's strongest supporters when the Manly fullback was fighting allegations of sexual assault. He was cleared late last year.

The Bulldogs have been on the lookout for a coach since Kevin Moore parted ways with the club midway through the season. NSW coach Ricky Stuart was the initial favourite for the job but he is expected to remain with the Blues, effectively ruling him out of contention.

Caretaker coach Jim Dymock was also strongly linked with the job but it now appears Hasler is at the front of the queue. The Bulldogs, however, face a fight to prise him from Manly.

Sea Eagles chairman Scott Penn, who has been negotiating with Hasler over a further two-year extension that would keep him at the club until the end of 2014, reiterated his stance that the coach would be with Manly next season. That said, speculation over Hasler's future could hardly come at a worse time. The Sea Eagles are in the final hours of preparing to play the Warriors in the grand final at ANZ Stadium tomorrow.

Manly Leagues Club chief executive Bob Reilly, whose organisation owns about 9 per cent of the club, said the Sea Eagles needed to pay whatever was necessary to keep Hasler for as long as possible.

"He's worth every cent," Reilly said.

"What I am saying is Des Hasler is our coach and we need him for our long-term future. Who wouldn't want him? But he is ours, he is contracted to us.

"We want him to stay longer. I want him to be the first (Manly) coach to coach for 10 consecutive years."

Nathan Tinkler's takeover of Newcastle and pursuit of Bennett has significantly skewed the pay scale for the game's best coaches. Bennett was paid more than $1 million a season to join the Knights next year and no one could blame Hasler if he saw that and wondered whether he was worth more.

The Australian published statistics this week that show Hasler has been arguably the most successful coach in the NRL over the past six years. Manly has offered Hasler a significant pay rise but the club is not in a financial position to match what is on offer at other clubs.
It's seems weird of us to be tabling an offer if Hasler has a legal document binding him to Manly.

marsvolta

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
i can imagine the fan reaction if we get brett stewart!

marsvolta

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
how random.

i cant imagine the fan reaction if we get matai and george rose!

what a retarded post.
it's not that random, stewart is the only player mentioned in the article as possibly having a getout clause.

if i could pick a manly player i'd take lyon. he's just been quoted as saying he'd love to play out his career under des, it's obviously code for him having a get out clause too.

my worry is all the dogs players with get out clauses activated by kevin moore leaving.

but i agree with whoever said they're sick of poaching players and want to see a club develop its own. if des or dymock or stuart or raudonikis can do that, bring them on.

Status
Not open for further replies.