Dogs, Eagles in Trent warfare.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
MANLY and the Bulldogs are at war over Trent Hodkinson with Canterbury accusing the Sea Eagles of railroading their bid to snare the Eagles' boom No. 7 while Des Hasler hangs out for more salary cap cash.

The Bulldogs have made a massive play for Hodkinson for 2010 but can't get an answer from the former Toyota Cup star despite putting a rumoured $800,000 over three years on the table.

Some at the Kennel are growing frustrated and the deal could be pulled with a couple of Dogs suspecting Hasler has told Hodkinson to wait for the highly anticipated salary cap increase.

"We have no doubt that Des has been in his ear," said a Bulldog. "He is no doubt waiting to see how much the cap rises next year to see if he can keep him. At the moment it looks as though it might only be $66,000, so that might not help him too much. We would like to have a decision by the end of the week."

The Dogs are likely to have a war chest with Luke Patten likely to sign a deal with a UK club by the end of the week and Andrew Ryan on the outer.

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
$800000 for 3 years for someone who has not even played half a season of FG.

This from the same geniuses who signed a nothing player in Halutau and the dud known as Paea.

Did we hire the sharks recruitment manager or something ?

Bulldog_NJ

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He's a gun young half back. They don't come onto the Market too often. The only concern i have is that wee keep recruiting guys who wish they could have stayed at their old club.

People dont seem to come to the Dogs to advance their careers anymore. They come because salary cap pressures squeeze them out, and because our offer was significantly better. We are the new Roosters

Renegade

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Source?

But WTF $800K if this is true what a waste of money. CRONK is the answer

matthew

Kennel Established
Reaction score
As long as we make Manly pay overs for him I will be happy.

simmmo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He's a gun young half back. They don't come onto the Market too often. The only concern i have is that wee keep recruiting guys who wish they could have stayed at their old club.

People dont seem to come to the Dogs to advance their careers anymore. They come because salary cap pressures squeeze them out, and because our offer was significantly better. We are the new Roosters
totally agreee

when we signed willie tonga he had only played a handful of games for parra, but he went on to be a rep player. You've gotta have some vission and I think trent is the best halfback prospect out there bar none... including cronk!

terrylamb4lyfe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
he has good defense, but foran has been the better half at manly.

trent has age on his side and strong defence.. as others have said, its very rare that a quality halfback comes around - and he is a true half having always played there.

id certainly rather him than morts.

to all the nuffies saying cronk is the answer, you have NFI. for one, as if the storm would let him go - he will be one of the key resignings with smith and slater... its likely they will get rid of inglis and retain the other 3.

secondly, cronk would command an arseload more even if we had a shot at him. i reckon teams would pay 450k for cronk tbh. Hes a top 3 halfback.

LordofDOGtown

Waterboy
Reaction score
Next year is gonna be a lot different and hopefully a lot better by the looks of it

hodkinson would be a good player and a good buy but if he doesn't want to be playing for the dogs theres not much you can do

LordofDOGtown

Waterboy
Reaction score
he has good defense, but foran has been the better half at manly.

to all the nuffies saying cronk is the answer, you have NFI. for one, as if the storm would let him go - he will be one of the key resignings with smith and slater... its likely they will get rid of inglis and retain the other 3.

secondly, cronk would command an arseload more even if we had a shot at him. i reckon teams would pay 450k for cronk tbh. Hes a top 3 halfback.
AGREED
cronks not the answer - sure he'd play good but too much money

Ahecee

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
The Dogs are likely to have a war chest with Luke Patten likely to sign a deal with a UK club by the end of the week and Andrew Ryan on the outer.
You can't perform like the club has this year and not have a few heads roll, it's good news that the club sees that.
Patten and Ryan have both been great for the club for alot of years but it's time for some major re-building.

We do need some younger guys coming in that can work together for the long haul, but given Moore's approach with Barba this year any new signings would have to be worried wouldn't they? (I'd bet Tia-Kilifi regrets signing with us given he played more FG last year than he has this year, despite Goodwin suffering a form drop from last year).

With any luck we might actually see our own juniors and fringe players get more of a go to have them ready for next year, browne for one needs to be a regular selection this year. Wouldn't mind seeing Barba fill in for Patten at fullback for some minutes to see how he goes either.

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Source?

But WTF $800K if this is true what a waste of money. CRONK is the answer
if we got Cronk it would be minimum $1.5m over 3 years.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I'd rather Hodkinson than that dud Mortimer TBH.

BulldogStar

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We should just concentrate on our own junior players and stop embarassing ourselves getting into these public tug of wars with other teams junior players that want to stay at their own club.

He doesnt want to come to the Bulldogs! just drop it! so over all this crap

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
if we got Cronk it would be minimum $1.5m over 3 years.
I would happily pay that, who else on our roster is around the 400k mark ?

We have to have someone dominant in the back and Cronk is the man, not some kid who is unproven behind a pack going backwards.

Everyone was talking about Mortimer last year, look how sh*t he has been this year.

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I would happily pay that, who else on our roster is around the 400k mark ?

We have to have someone dominant in the back and Cronk is the man, not some kid who is unproven behind a pack going backwards.

Everyone was talking about Mortimer last year, look how sh*t he has been this year.
but that kid is not on half a million a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.