Ramifications for Turner at the dogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

simmmo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In light of Melbourne's systematic cheating over the last 5 years, I wonder what implications this has for former Melbourne players during that era such as Steve Turner. Some ramifications for the Bulldogs might include:

- have we paid overs for this guy based on his shambolic resume and shambolic achievements whilst at the storm? Bear in mind that Turner benefited greatly from having all those great players around. He was hardly a key player in that side, but just being part of a great side like that would have inflated his value on the market.

- We know that the culture at the Storm was strong. This has obviously rubbed off on Steve. But we now know that this culture of success begot arrogance and a sense of invincibility - a sense of being above the law. Success at all costs, no matter what the rules are. Do we really want any part of that culture at our club?

- Obviously further details of the saga will be revealed. But a key question is: to what extent were the players aware of the rort? Were guys accepting cash in "brown paper bags"? It would be hard for players not to be aware of possible misconduct if this were the case. If so, did Turner take such payments? Now, there is no indication that players had any knowledge at this stage. And I don't think that the players would have known about the full scope of the deception. But surely players taking payments from dubious sources would have had to know something was wrong.

The simple fact of the matter is that this disgraceful incident has tarnished all Storm players during that period. Like it or not, we bought a bloke who we thought was a two-time premiership winner. His contract was probably inflated based on his bargaining position that he had won two premierships and three minor premierships. That turned out to be a false premise. And, quite frankly, I'm not very happy about it. It's money that would give us more room under the cap.

BulldogStar

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Turner has proved this year he is more than capable of doing the job we need him to do.

I HIGHLY doubt he was one of the players getting any extra money either, he was a background player not an Inglis or Slater. And if any other players knew about it, why would they stay? It would have caused a huge amount of trouble within the melbourne ranks.

My major concrn is that he can get over the drama and the loss of the premierships etc and aim up for us tonight

Tha DoggFather

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
What it comes down to is 2 things....

1. Sucked in to the cheating c**ts

And

2. How many players can we buy from them?

simmmo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Turner has proved this year he is more than capable of doing the job we need him to do.

I HIGHLY doubt he was one of the players getting any extra money either, he was a background player not an Inglis or Slater. And if any other players knew about it, why would they stay? It would have caused a huge amount of trouble within the melbourne ranks.

My major concrn is that he can get over the drama and the loss of the premierships etc and aim up for us tonight
Players getting extra money IS THE ONLY reason they stayed at the Storm! Greed is a powerful thing if you hadn't noticed.

Steve's been great for us this year. But quite frankly I always had suspicions that we paid too much for this guy. Now those suspicions have come true. He's not as good as his resume makes out. That is the bottom line. For instance, if the storm wasn't such a great team would he have ever gotten a call up for origin? I doubt it. Sure guys like Slater, Inglis and Smith would have made whoever they play for. But guys like Turner made it on the back of playing in a great side. He got found out at SOO level. Now with the revelations of yesterday, it must call into question ALL his achievements.

Vargster

Moderfaker
Reaction score
I believe that the players had very little knowledge as to what was goin on. Maybe the Slater's and Inglis' had a bit of an idea, but I doubt the other players knew much.

If a player suspected something, and asked about it, i'm sure it would have been downplayed to them.

pillow

The Bloodline
Reaction score
lol 'shambolic' - the bloke still performed on the field ;)

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
- have we paid overs for this guy based on his shambolic resume and shambolic achievements whilst at the storm? Bear in mind that Turner benefited greatly from having all those great players around. He was hardly a key player in that side, but just being part of a great side like that would have inflated his value on the market.
So lets forgot that Turner has been outstanding this year and our most consistant.

What ****ing team do you support again?

simmmo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
how about us paying overs for Turner based on his fake resume? That's the real prob

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Let's sack Turner because of this and play JTK who clearly has a better resume, has played more games, won more premierships and played for his state

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
how about us paying overs for Turner based on his fake resume? That's the real prob
Do you know how much he is on? The way he is playing, he is worth every cent.

Vargster

Moderfaker
Reaction score
I was skeptical about Turner when he joined us, but he has proven week in and week out that he is a fitting replacement for El Masri, and fits into the team well.

I don't think the Bulldogs purchased him because of his clubs achievements alone.

simmmo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So lets forgot that Turner has been outstanding this year and our most consistant.

What ****ing team do you support again?
Not saying he hasn't been good for us. but given his accomplishments weren't actually real accomplishments that has got to be a concern. especially if those "accomplishments" artificially inflated his contract.

simmmo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let's sack Turner because of this and play JTK who clearly has a better resume, has played more games, won more premierships and played for his state
lol we now know that JTK and turner have the same amount of premierships to their names..... i.e. NIL!!!!!

And quite frankly, that SOO call has now got to be called into question.

BulldogStar

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Players getting extra money IS THE ONLY reason they stayed at the Storm! Greed is a powerful thing if you hadn't noticed.

Steve's been great for us this year. But quite frankly I always had suspicions that we paid too much for this guy. Now those suspicions have come true. He's not as good as his resume makes out. That is the bottom line. For instance, if the storm wasn't such a great team would he have ever gotten a call up for origin? I doubt it. Sure guys like Slater, Inglis and Smith would have made whoever they play for. But guys like Turner made it on the back of playing in a great side. He got found out at SOO level. Now with the revelations of yesterday, it must call into question ALL his achievements.
What does that have to do with what i said?

You can question his credentials all you like but he has been great for us. Im with Moe, worth every cent!

Bulldog Bruce

Bring on Rnd 1
Reaction score
Wonder if anyone slipped Turner the brown paper bag when he agreed to sign with the Gold Coast Titans...

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not saying he hasn't been good for us. but given his accomplishments weren't actually real accomplishments that has got to be a concern. especially if those "accomplishments" artificially inflated his contract.
So Inglis, Slater, Smith, Cronk are also all dud players?

Mr Patwa

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The kennel has become a joke lately with people trying to find something negative to talk about regarding our team and its players... TURNER is a bulldog player at the moment and is playing good and he is proving it that every single cent spent on him is worth it... Whats the point of even starting this thread seriously

simmmo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What does that have to do with what i said?

You can question his credentials all you like but he has been great for us. Im with Moe, worth every cent!
You can bet your bottom dollar that most the top grade players got some sort of payments. All players would have had to have been in on some of the sugar otherwise there would have been discontent at the club. It's hard to think that the players weren't at all aware. The "pay cuts" guys like Cronk were taking to stay at the club were fake. they were getting payments via the back door to stay. This is a pervasive thing and must have been happening to other players too. the big stars would have gotten more for sure. But lets see when the details come out.

Status
Not open for further replies.