Steve Turner 2010 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulldogStar

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
get stuffed!!! he won (past tense) 3 premierships, then he was let go by that club.... does that signal anything to you? it does to me. As they say in the stock market, past performance is no guarantee of future performance. I think the Storm knew that and let him go.
Thats a little harsh. Melbourne couldnt keep him because they cant keep everybody! They have to keep players like Inglis, Smith, Slater, Cronk. Same could be said for when they let Folau go, not because he wasnt good enough but because they cant afford him

simmmo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So Ennis is sh*t because he was let go by Brisbane. Noddy was let go by a terrible Sharks team so he must be hopeless. You do realise there's a thing called a salary cap and teams can't always keep the players they want. From all reports Craig Bellamy was very disappointed that they had to let Turner go. He knew the value he brought to the team on and off the field. It's stupid that people are calling for him to be sacked after 1 game even when he wasn't even that bad.
There's a difference with BK and Ennis... Bk and ennis are playing in important positions. the salary cap was not the reason that both of them left the club btw.

Not saying that turner should necessarily be dropped, just don't know what a guy like turner brings to the table. i would have thought we would have gone after a big imposing winger in the mould of tuiaki or falou. i was pretty excited when JTK came over b/c I think he has got that potential. But I think turner doesn't really add much to the side. We had El Masri last year.... turner is an El Masri, except he can't kick. therefore El Masri was ten times more valuable than turner.

simmmo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats a little harsh. Melbourne couldnt keep him because they cant keep everybody! They have to keep players like Inglis, Smith, Slater, Cronk. Same could be said for when they let Folau go, not because he wasnt good enough but because they cant afford him
No they wanted to keep israel... but israel wanted to be closer to his family in Brisbane... Melbourne would have kept him for sure. If izzy did decide to stay at melbourne, turner would have been sacrificed a long time ago.

Costaki10

Bulldogs Army
Reaction score
get stuffed!!! he won (past tense) 3 premierships, then he was let go by that club.... does that signal anything to you? it does to me. As they say in the stock market, past performance is no guarantee of future performance. I think the Storm knew that and let him go.
So Ennis is sh*t because he was let go by Brisbane. Noddy was let go by a terrible Sharks team so he must be hopeless. You do realise there's a thing called a salary cap and teams can't always keep the players they want. From all reports Craig Bellamy was very disappointed that they had to let Turner go. He knew the value he brought to the team on and off the field. It's stupid that people are calling for him to be sacked after 1 game even when he wasn't even that bad.
The General pretty much summed it up for me.

The_General

Kennel Established
Reaction score
There's a difference with BK and Ennis... Bk and ennis are playing in important positions. the salary cap was not the reason that both of them left the club btw.

Not saying that turner should necessarily be dropped, just don't know what a guy like turner brings to the table. i would have thought we would have gone after a big imposing winger in the mould of tuiaki or falou. i was pretty excited when JTK came over b/c I think he has got that potential. But I think turner doesn't really add much to the side. We had El Masri last year.... turner is an El Masri, except he can't kick. therefore El Masri was ten times more valuable than turner.
The biggest thing Turner brings is experience. Idris is still finding his feet defensively so he needs guys like Haz and Turner to help him position himself and cover any errors he might make. I think Kevin Moore would be hesitant putting 2 young guys like Idris and JTK together as they could be very vulnerable in defense.

Besides that it's well known that Turner is a very good role model off the field and the club is obviously building their culture around guys like that so that would have been another reason they signed him.

simmmo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
i just think that you'd play goodwin on Idris' side and pair JTK with Morris

both JTK and goodwin are big, strong and fast wingers. It would be a dynamic combo.... but now that goodwin is coming back into the side, we won't get a chance to see JTK play for a while now. That's really dissapointing. the decision to play Heka Nanai ahead of JTK has got to be the biggest selection blunder kevvy has ever made.

The_General

Kennel Established
Reaction score
i just think that you'd play goodwin on Idris' side and pair JTK with Morris

both JTK and goodwin are big, strong and fast wingers. It would be a dynamic combo.... but now that goodwin is coming back into the side, we won't get a chance to see JTK play for a while now. That's really dissapointing. the decision to play Heka Nanai ahead of JTK has got to be the biggest selection blunder kevvy has ever made.
By doing that you'd be breaking up a proven lethal combination. Goodwin and Morris were probably the best centre/wing combo last year so it would be a massive gamble splitting them.

In saying all that I'm with you on JTK not getting a run last night. I also think he's got huge potential and he should have been given a chance to prove himself. Unless there are injuries his next chance prob won't come until Origin if Morris gets selected.

Bulldog Bandit

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think last night's game showed us that the emphasis Kevvy has put on no frills players like turner can backfire when you are up against some genuinely talented ball players and big outside backs. I mean turner was no match for either uate or vuna. Both are quicker and stronger and provide much more in every department.

I'd have Goodwin and JTK as first choice wingers. Both provide the strike power we need to compete with the best wingers in the comp.

Furthermore, when we do buy a kid that has the ability to provide something spesh on the wing, we overlook him...

No frills is exactly what Turner is! Dont get me wrong I think the guy is a great player but with losing Haz we gain nothing in gaining Turner. In my opinion I think the two of them are very similar players, both are around the same height have the same pace both are solid in defence & dont make alot of mistakes on the field. But I wish we had a faster stronger & taller winger that could do some offensive damage on the wing, Newcastle's wingers were running the ball up like forwards & making meters. But in saying that im still happy he is there I suppose we could have done worse im just afraid that without Haz we are gonna lose alot! of close games.

simmmo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No frills is exactly what Turner is! Dont get me wrong I think the guy is a great player but with losing Haz we gain nothing in gaining Turner. In my opinion I think the two of them are very similar players, both are around the same height have the same pace both are solid in defence & dont make alot of mistakes on the field. But I wish we had a faster stronger & taller winger that could do some offensive damage on the wing, Newcastle's wingers were running the ball up like forwards & making meters. But in saying that im still happy he is there I suppose we could have done worse im just afraid that without Haz we are gonna lose alot! of close games.
exactly... but there's one difference b/n haz and turner... and that is haz was the best goal kicker of all time. He was a solid player and pple forget that when we had halligan, haz was in the side based on his playing ability alone. But his kicking made him great.

LG

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
solid, could have done more to stop the first try but overall he did ok

OTTO

Playing Pablo
Reaction score
No they wanted to keep israel... but israel wanted to be closer to his family in Brisbane... Melbourne would have kept him for sure. If izzy did decide to stay at melbourne, turner would have been sacrificed a long time ago.
Turner wanted to be closer to family in Sydney....

pillow

The Bloodline
Reaction score
your comparing him to the best players in rugby league, we cant have every player in our team better than everyone.

your comments in all the threads are pathetic and you are a hopeless supporter. We lost 1 game and you want turner sacked because he is hopeless and is nothing yet the guy has won 3 premierships and played in 4 but hey he isn't good enough for the dogs but he is good enough for a 3 time premiership winning team. Your nothing but an idiot who is looking at a teams performance and putting it on 1 player.
Sums it up perfectly

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Threads like this make me question if people are really fans of the Bulldogs, or just love picking apart our team and being negative.

simmmo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Threads like this make me question if people are really fans of the Bulldogs, or just love picking apart our team and being negative.
yeah real fans don't question anything... they just shut up while they watch their team lose..

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
scored two tries that any player worth his salt would have scored...

He offers nothing in attack or defense..

He is a solid player, but I reckon we prolly paid overs for this guy just because he was at the Storm....

We don't need anymore no frills players. We need players that can be game breakers. turner is not that
how can somebody be solid but offer nothing in attack and defence??? :confused:

CB35

Waterboy
Reaction score
He was OK and is still finding his feet in the team. He played for 4 years in Melbourne and it will take a while for him to settle in with the Dogs. If he can defend well and be in the right place at the right time like he was in the GF with the storm (and at times yesterday) then he will work out.

simmmo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He was OK and is still finding his feet in the team. He played for 4 years in Melbourne and it will take a while for him to settle in with the Dogs. If he can defend well and be in the right place at the right time like he was in the GF with the storm (and at times yesterday) then he will work out.
he was in the right place and the right time to get steam rolled by fuifui moimoi!!!

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
bring in carney and taumata, sack turner so we can make simmo happy

Status
Not open for further replies.