Grand Theft Auto IV Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PigBenis

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
fukkk cant wait for mine to arive from uk....

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I've read 8 reviews from all over the web, 6 gave it 10, 1 gave it 9.8 and the lowest, forgot which game site it was but it gave it a 9.5 because apparently it has "alot of filler missions that have nothing/little to do with the story"

LOL if 9.5 is the lowest score, you're doing better than 99% of games out there.

BTW, GTA IV took almost 1000 people to make and over $100,000,000.00 to make.

Izy

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've read 8 reviews from all over the web, 6 gave it 10, 1 gave it 9.8 and the lowest, forgot which game site it was but it gave it a 9.5 because apparently it has "alot of filler missions that have nothing/little to do with the story"

LOL if 9.5 is the lowest score, you're doing better than 99% of games out there.

BTW, GTA IV took almost 1000 people to make and over $100,000,000.00 to make.
100 mill? FMD.
They'll make that up in about 12 hours lol

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
100 mill? FMD.
They'll make that up in about 12 hours lol
That long? :p

I've been watching gameplay pretty much all day yesterday and all I have to say is "damn."

Damn.

Izy

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
That long? :p

I've been watching gameplay pretty much all day yesterday and all I have to say is "damn."

Damn.
Did u watch the ladies one in IGN?
Some crazy shi*.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Sorry. 10 reviews, not 8 as I mentioned.

Online reviews of GTA IV

The embargo preventing online media outlets from publishing reviews of GTA IV has now lifted. Check out all the new reviews below:

Team Xbox - 10/10
Computer and Video Games - 9.5/10
GameTrailers (Video) - 9.8/10
1UP - A+
GameVideos (Video) - A+
Kotaku
Eurogamer - 10/10
CCGaming (Video)
GameSpy - 5/5
Game Informer - 10/10
PS: Thanks for the link, Izy.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
PS3 V 360

It was inevitable. With the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 competing for the "next-gen" first place spot, both armed with Grand Theft Auto IV shipping day and date, nitpicking comparisons between each version was expected from vocal fans. Rockstar Games has commented multiple times that both versions are identical, minus a few platform specific features and Xbox 360 exclusives.

We've played both versions of GTA IV—quite a bit, actually. We've noticed a handful of differences, some of which you know, some which you may not, many of them hair-splitting. We break it down, from frame rate to controls, after the break.

Installation
The PlayStation 3 version has a mandatory 3.4 GB hard drive installation that will be the longest 7 minutes and 20 seconds of your life if you're chomping at the bit to play. It's initially an annoyance, but PS3 owners will welcome it. There is no option to install the game to an Xbox 360 hard drive.

Frame Rate
The Grand Theft Auto series has never been synonymous with a rock solid frame rate, something it generally seems to get a pass for. While GTA IV is smoother in general than it's predecessors, it can expectedly suffer during chaos. The Xbox 360 version seemed capable of achieving a smoother frame rate, peaking higher in certain circumstances, such as in confined spaces or during light traffic, but both versions seemed to regularly run at a similar clip.

Pop-In & Loading
With a huge, seamless streaming world, data must be constantly read from the disc. The PS3 version, with its required HDD install, loads missions a couple seconds faster and decreases pop-in. The Xbox 360 version can suffer from some very noticeable texture loading, as things like trees, vehicles and building signs will regularly pop-in as one tools about town. It can be distracting, especially during high speed chases, and the PS3 version isn't entirely immune from it, but it's not a game killing problem.

Graphics
The two versions are so close to identical, visually, that putting together a comparison was a challenge. Initially, it appeared that the PS3 suffered from more noticeable aliasing than its 360 counterpart, but after eyeballing the final retail copy, they appear to be on par. I noticed that the paint filter applied to cover some of the game's imperfections appeared a tiny bit muddier on the PS3 version, with night time scenes seeing more streakiness. Some of these minor complaints may be the result of our particular television settings and require the finest of fine tooth combs to assess.

Downloadable Content
The Xbox 360 version is announced to have two exclusive downloadable content packs for purchase. Details on what will be contained in those two exclusive batches of DLC are sparse, so we can't judge what they'll bring to the table, nor do we know if the PlayStation 3 version will eventually get its own DLC from Rockstar. If you're looking for more GTA IV, and you may very well be after you've completed the core game, you're going to want the 360 version.

Achievements
The Xbox 360 version has the requisite list of Achievements exclusive to the platform, creative and challenging goals that sometimes go beyond the regular gaming experience. However, as with other GTA games, stat-tracking for kills, stunt jumps, and the dozens of extras will keep completionists on the PS3 side happy.

Motion Controls
The PS3 version has optional SIXAXIS motion controls for piloting helicopters, steering boats and doing motorcycle tricks. You'll probably leave it off, just like I did.

Good Vibrations
GTA IV supports vibration in the Xbox 360 controller and the DualShock 3, so PS3 owners won't be left in the force feedback lurch.

Final Thoughts
The good news for Grand Theft Auto fans is that whatever platform you have chosen as your own, GTA IV excels on both. They are almost evenly matched, feature for feature. Gamers will have to decide which is more important to them, a slightly more technically sound experience on the PlayStation 3 or downloadable content and Xbox Live integration on the Xbox 360.

Seven and a half minutes installation time for the PS3?! I thought GT5 Prologue took it's sweet ass time.

Mac

lol finch
Reaction score
PS3 V 360

It was inevitable. With the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 competing for the "next-gen" first place spot, both armed with Grand Theft Auto IV shipping day and date, nitpicking comparisons between each version was expected from vocal fans. Rockstar Games has commented multiple times that both versions are identical, minus a few platform specific features and Xbox 360 exclusives.

We've played both versions of GTA IV—quite a bit, actually. We've noticed a handful of differences, some of which you know, some which you may not, many of them hair-splitting. We break it down, from frame rate to controls, after the break.

Installation
The PlayStation 3 version has a mandatory 3.4 GB hard drive installation that will be the longest 7 minutes and 20 seconds of your life if you're chomping at the bit to play. It's initially an annoyance, but PS3 owners will welcome it. There is no option to install the game to an Xbox 360 hard drive.

Frame Rate
The Grand Theft Auto series has never been synonymous with a rock solid frame rate, something it generally seems to get a pass for. While GTA IV is smoother in general than it's predecessors, it can expectedly suffer during chaos. The Xbox 360 version seemed capable of achieving a smoother frame rate, peaking higher in certain circumstances, such as in confined spaces or during light traffic, but both versions seemed to regularly run at a similar clip.

Pop-In & Loading
With a huge, seamless streaming world, data must be constantly read from the disc. The PS3 version, with its required HDD install, loads missions a couple seconds faster and decreases pop-in. The Xbox 360 version can suffer from some very noticeable texture loading, as things like trees, vehicles and building signs will regularly pop-in as one tools about town. It can be distracting, especially during high speed chases, and the PS3 version isn't entirely immune from it, but it's not a game killing problem.

Graphics
The two versions are so close to identical, visually, that putting together a comparison was a challenge. Initially, it appeared that the PS3 suffered from more noticeable aliasing than its 360 counterpart, but after eyeballing the final retail copy, they appear to be on par. I noticed that the paint filter applied to cover some of the game's imperfections appeared a tiny bit muddier on the PS3 version, with night time scenes seeing more streakiness. Some of these minor complaints may be the result of our particular television settings and require the finest of fine tooth combs to assess.

Downloadable Content
The Xbox 360 version is announced to have two exclusive downloadable content packs for purchase. Details on what will be contained in those two exclusive batches of DLC are sparse, so we can't judge what they'll bring to the table, nor do we know if the PlayStation 3 version will eventually get its own DLC from Rockstar. If you're looking for more GTA IV, and you may very well be after you've completed the core game, you're going to want the 360 version.

Achievements
The Xbox 360 version has the requisite list of Achievements exclusive to the platform, creative and challenging goals that sometimes go beyond the regular gaming experience. However, as with other GTA games, stat-tracking for kills, stunt jumps, and the dozens of extras will keep completionists on the PS3 side happy.

Motion Controls
The PS3 version has optional SIXAXIS motion controls for piloting helicopters, steering boats and doing motorcycle tricks. You'll probably leave it off, just like I did.

Good Vibrations
GTA IV supports vibration in the Xbox 360 controller and the DualShock 3, so PS3 owners won't be left in the force feedback lurch.

Final Thoughts
The good news for Grand Theft Auto fans is that whatever platform you have chosen as your own, GTA IV excels on both. They are almost evenly matched, feature for feature. Gamers will have to decide which is more important to them, a slightly more technically sound experience on the PlayStation 3 or downloadable content and Xbox Live integration on the Xbox 360.

Seven and a half minutes installation time for the PS3?! I thought GT5 Prologue took it's sweet ass time.

well going by that, xbox 360 version it is. Ive highlighted the important parts, all going in favour for the 360 except for the texture popin part, which is better on ps3 because u gotta basically install the ****er onto your ps3 lol

7 min install? 3 gigs? **** that, im running out of space on my ps3, just to play games i already own on the bluray disc, whats the point of the disc if i have to install that ****. Sure it will help with the texture popin, but thats just ****, 3 gigs is too much.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
That's what really sh*ts me, Mac. Installing games on the PS3 hard drive. Can you have the option of not installing it?

I just picked both my copies up now. I can't wait another 8 hours to play it! Fcuking work.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Four and a half hours until I play.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
oh ffs I have to buy a new xbox

stupid me I should never of bought my xbox when it was launched in Australia
I should of waited until all the faults were identified and fixed first
I am paying the price for it now

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
havent bought mine yet will do so later in the week

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
oh ffs I have to buy a new xbox

stupid me I should never of bought my xbox when it was launched in Australia
I should of waited until all the faults were identified and fixed first
I am paying the price for it now
That's been fixed now. New stock has arrived. They now come with HDMI ports but no HDMI wire.

havent bought mine yet will do so later in the week
WTF are you waiting for?!

bored

i
Reaction score
im sitin at home waiting for this stupid game to be delivered for my little brother.

i have played it once, didnt like it but everyone i know is obsessed with it. so there must be something about it.

Izy

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Cant wait to get it delivered from Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.