3. Cooper Cronk
4. Daly Cherry-Evans
5. Stacey Jones
6. Brett Kimmorley
7. Scott Prince
8. Mitchell Pearce
9. Adam Reynolds
10. Trent Hodkinson

I wish I could comment on players like Langer, Stuart, Brandy etc. But I did not see enough of them if anything during those years

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Daylight between Johns and anyone else, his ability to take the game by the scruff of the neck with a somewhat average team (Knights) and dominate was very special to watch.

Thurston has had the luxury of playing for a very dominant Qld team where he has stood out. I'm sure there has been times, but not many that I can remember him with an average Cowboys team and dominating like Johns did.

Great player, just several rungs below Johns IMO.

the_yuk

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Seriously no one has mentioned Brent Sherwin and Craig Gower? The early 2000s they were two of the best around, personally I think they were better then guys like kimmorly.

wigum

Immortal
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Seriously no one has mentioned Brent Sherwin and Craig Gower? The early 2000s they were two of the best around, personally I think they were better then guys like kimmorly.
I just think Kimmorley had the more complete career, he also had a long period where he was considered one of the best

silva

Utility
Reaction score
Daylight between Johns and anyone else, his ability to take the game by the scruff of the neck with a somewhat average team (Knights) and dominate was very special to watch.

Thurston has had the luxury of playing for a very dominant Qld team where he has stood out. I'm sure there has been times, but not many that I can remember him with an average Cowboys team and dominating like Johns did.

Great player, just several rungs below Johns IMO.
Thats not true. Johns had half the origin team playing for the knights.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
I rate Thurston over Johns to be perfectly honest. Johns on his day was the best, but he spent too much time on the sidelines and lacked discipline.
Thurston has the work ethic which allowed him to play every game in QLDs 8 series run.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Thats not true. Johns had half the origin team playing for the knights.
He made them into Origin players. They looked so good playing next to him at Newcastle that they were chosen for Origin. The only player that did anything after Newcastle was Ben Kennedy.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I rate Thurston over Johns to be perfectly honest. Johns on his day was the best, but he spent too much time on the sidelines and lacked discipline.
Thurston has the work ethic which allowed him to play every game in QLDs 8 series run.
If you rate Thurston as better than Johns then you know nothing about league. It's like saying Kobe Bryant is better than Michael Jordan.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
For me it was out of Prince, Kimmorley and Sherwin for that number 10 spot with Prince just edging it. Sherwin deserved Origin selection when Johns was injured but they chose Brett Finch instead :/

silva

Utility
Reaction score
If you rate Thurston as better than Johns then you know nothing about league. It's like saying Kobe Bryant is better than Michael Jordan.
LOL your a spastic. Worst analogy ever..
How many season ending injuries did Jordan get? He was consistently the best player in the league and stayed on the court. Johns was unfit and lacked the athleticism of Thurston.
Theyve both won 3 dally ms and chances are thurston will get more before he retires.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
LOL your a spastic. Worst analogy ever..
How many season ending injuries did Jordan get? He was consistently the best player in the league and stayed on the court. Johns was unfit and lacked the athleticism of Thurston.
Theyve both won 3 dally ms and chances are thurston will get more before he retires.
Don't call names just because you can't hack the fact you know nothing about league. Saying a guy who has never started in a premiership winning team is better than an immortal makes yourself look like a fool.
Matt Orford has won more Dally M awards than Lockeyer and Inglis combined. Does that make him better than both?

silva

Utility
Reaction score
Don't call names just because you can't hack the fact you know nothing about league. Saying a guy who has never started in a premiership winning team is better than an immortal makes yourself look like a fool.
Matt Orford has won more Dally M awards than Lockeyer and Inglis combined. Does that make him better than both?
To suggest johns is the equivalent of Jordan shows you know nothing about league and basketball. Thurstons carried that cowboys team for years while johns had better players around him at the knights. Plus the 97 title was a half comp and the Broncos would've beaten them that year.
I actually said Johns was better on his day but spent too much time injured. So learn how to read

silva

Utility
Reaction score
He made them into Origin players. They looked so good playing next to him at Newcastle that they were chosen for Origin. The only player that did anything after Newcastle was Ben Kennedy.
Not just Kennedy, how bout buderus, Matt gidley, Josh Perry, odavis, Steve Simpson, Tahu, MacDougall..all origin/test players. It wasn't a one man show.

Fully Sik Drop kick

Abra Kebabra
Reaction score
1. Ben Roberts
2. Craig Field
2. Daryl Trindall
4. Ben Kusto
5. Daniel Wagon
7. Daniel Holdsworth
8. John Simon
9. Brett Oliver
10. Ben Hornby

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
To suggest johns is the equivalent of Jordan shows you know nothing about league and basketball. Thurstons carried that cowboys team for years while johns had better players around him at the knights. Plus the 97 title was a half comp and the Broncos would've beaten them that year.
I actually said Johns was better on his day but spent too much time injured. So learn how to read
Andrew Johns is the greatest rugby league player ever, Michael Jordan is the greatest Basketball player ever so I know both my sports.

To quote you "I rate Thurston over Johns to be perfectly honest". That means over their whole career you rate Thurston higher which less than 10% of people who watch Rugby League would agree with. The less than 10% that know nothing about this great sport.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Not just Kennedy, how bout buderus, Matt gidley, Josh Perry, odavis, Steve Simpson, Tahu, MacDougall..all origin/test players. It wasn't a one man show.
What did any of them do in the NRL outside of Newcastle besides Ben Kennedy?

lafai

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joey was ****ing orgasmic to watch.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
Andrew Johns is the greatest rugby league player ever, Michael Jordan is the greatest Basketball player ever so I know both my sports.

To quote you "I rate Thurston over Johns to be perfectly honest". That means over their whole career you rate Thurston higher which less than 10% of people who watch Rugby League would agree with. The less than 10% that know nothing about this great sport.
And then I explained why...no need for the quoting.

Jordan was on another planet to Johns in terms of dominance. He won 6 titles and did it with ease. He won scoring titles throughout his career and stayed on the court. Johns won one legitimate title. He was not the first choice rep halfback for a lot of his career, only the second half. To compare the two is idiotic.

Whered you get the 10% from? Most people say Johns was the best because thats the general consensus. Johns was the best performer on his day but he also spent a lot of time injured.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
What did any of them do in the NRL outside of Newcastle besides Ben Kennedy?
Perry won a title with Manly. Gidley, odavis, buderus spent their whole careers at newcastle. Imagine how many titles thurston would have won if he had of stayed at the dogs.

Status
Not open for further replies.