Your Round 1 Team?

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The first six weeks of the draw are much tougher than the second six rounds, which might a big factor in the team for round 1.
Eels, Sharks, Titans, Rabbitohs, Roosters, Storm. That's a tough way to open the season.
Ciraldo could just use experienced players, no matter what their current form or readiness is. Rather than risk the younger players having their confidence destroyed.
Players like Wilson, Clarke, Papali'i, Hayward and Kautoga might be better off being kept in cryogenic storage (ie NSW Cup) until Rd 7?
Along with Taaffe and Sexton?
Then bring the younger guys in for Knights, (bye) and Tigers, before Panthers, Raiders, Dragons and Knights.
It’s a brutal first 6 weeks, I think we only have 2 home games

R3 v Titans
R5 v Roosters

They say the draw is made by some Canadian company and has specific metrics and methodology…fkn Canadians must hate us!!

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
STILL a fairly long 11 days til we play ffs ..
Might struggle too against the slippery's.
It's a pretty even contest if we can stop them from rolling. Parra shit the bed off the back foot.

Ellie

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
1. Taffe
2. Fox
3. Xerri
4. Critta
5. Kiraz
6. Burton
7. Hutchinson
8. King
9.mahoney
10. Hughes
11. Kikau
12.preston
13.curran
14.man
15.knight
16. Famasili
17.morrin

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
It's a pretty even contest if we can stop them from rolling. Parra shit the bed off the back foot.
They also have a more competent and sorted spine, besides hooker for them. We have issues in all 4 positions.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
They also have a more competent and sorted spine, besides hooker for them. We have issues in all 4 positions.
Their spine shits the bed on the back foot. Stop their offloads and slow the ruck they will struggle.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Critta has to play centre, we need his defensive reads and abilities out there more than anything else.

Taaffe will spend the entire lead up to the Parra game fielding Matt Burton rainmakers - he’ll be fine.

I wouldn’t risk Tracey for round 1 in a key position like FB.

Kiraz will come in on the wing or at centre depending on Ciro’s view on Xerri. Personally, Xerri is good to go, he didn’t look out of place in the two trials and was solid in both.

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I can see it from a mile away we will move into second gear shifting critta to FB after 2-3 months. Think instead of fading over the span of the season we will grow into it.

Harry Oz

Kennel Established
Reaction score
[/QUOTE]
Taaffe will spend the entire lead up to the Parra game fielding Matt Burton rainmakers - he’ll be fine.

I wouldn’t risk Tracey for round 1 in a key position like FB.
Isn't Moses a different type of kicker to Burton?
I thought he is more inclined to get the ball on the ground, to spin the ball in a different way.
Taaffe's dropped kicks were technical mistakes.
The one where he was dropped it over the line was because he was trying to knock the ball in field. He was coming across too quickly because he was initially out of position.
If I was coaching Taaffe etc to catch, I'd be using old/new balls, flat and over-inflated and wobbly, spinning kicks with bouncing, low, middle, high trajectories around the goal posts and down Belmore Road with O'Meley and Mason offside & running at him.

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Their spine shits the bed on the back foot. Stop their offloads and slow the ruck they will struggle.
Sivo out. And also Greig out is a massive one for us. If we can get through the initial RCG and Paulo burst. There bench forwards ain’t crash hot. I think we’re a chance

Last edited:

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I’d have thought he’s been catching burtons bombs all off season. I’m saying that was a one off and will be fine. Hoping as much as saying. If he’d been dropping them all pre season at training Ciro wouldn’t have played him there surely.
Maybe he is using Okurnbor's old spot in the dressing room

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Sivo out. And also Greig out is a massive one for us. If we can get through the initial RCG and Paulo burst. There bench forwards ain’t crash hot. I think we’re a chance
We are a chance cos we don’t have the deadwood from last year and players that replaced them can actually defend

Dogs4eva13

Previously James Cochrane
Reaction score
Without Sivo, parras back 5 will be

1. Gutho
2 Haze Dunster
3. Will penisini
4. Bailey simonssen
5. Sean Russell

Very weak NSW cup looking back 5 with not much speed, creativity or magic. Only Gutho and Penisini are NRL quality backs. Also only Simonsen is good for the tough carries. Also if they get another injury they will really be scrapping the barrel, with Haze the only reserve back to get time in last weeks trial. Parra's lack of recruitment in the backs is so weird. We have the same issue with props which is way way worse, but backs are a lot easier to come across and there are plenty like Tracey/Tristan Sailor etc etc that would have been available at different times to sign for minimal coin.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We are a chance cos we don’t have the deadwood from last year and players that replaced them can actually defend
Agree, defensively, we’re light years ahead of last year. If we can play up-tempo in attack and defensively, kick chase and dominate the first 3 hit ups, we should be well placed in this game. To me, that’s been the biggest improvement in the trials compared to last season, we look more aggressive early on in the tackle count.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if Turpin got the 14. Mahoney needs a rest during games and we don't need a part time dummy half like Mann or Hayward filling in. Recovering from a broken finger and playing no trials might have affect things, but Mahoney isn't a 80 minute player at the moment and leaving him out there for the whole 80 is hurting us. If not Rd 1, then Rd 2 it will happen IMO.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if Turpin got the 14. Mahoney needs a rest during games and we don't need a part time dummy half like Mann or Hayward filling in. Recovering from a broken finger and playing no trials might have affect things, but Mahoney isn't a 80 minute player at the moment and leaving him out there for the whole 80 is hurting us. If not Rd 1, then Rd 2 it will happen IMO.
Most people can see this Mahoney shouldn’t be playing 80 minutes. But unless the coach can see it. (I’m not convinced he does) Nothing will change.

I am just be a punter in the crowd and not a coach at every training session. Whilst I agree with the concept of being a good trainer with a good attitude is important. From what I observed last season. I think CC has the good trainer/good bloke ahead of of who gives us the best chance of winning us the game.

With our tough draw to start the season. Selections need to be on point from the get go. Otherwise our season will be over before we know it.

halfcast

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
olaupu at 6 with tate brace burton centre

ElMagicElMasri

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Mann will spell him, the only reason we didn’t see it in the trials is because Reed was only playing 40-50 anyway

I’ve heard mann speak about training at 9 here and there.

Never doubt CC though…

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Without Sivo, parras back 5 will be

1. Gutho
2 Haze Dunster
3. Will penisini
4. Bailey simonssen
5. Sean Russell

Very weak NSW cup looking back 5 with not much speed, creativity or magic. Only Gutho and Penisini are NRL quality backs. Also only Simonsen is good for the tough carries. Also if they get another injury they will really be scrapping the barrel, with Haze the only reserve back to get time in last weeks trial. Parra's lack of recruitment in the backs is so weird. We have the same issue with props which is way way worse, but backs are a lot easier to come across and there are plenty like Tracey/Tristan Sailor etc etc that would have been available at different times to sign for minimal coin.
Sean Russell very underrated, puts in 100% and is faster than people give him credit for

Raikkonen

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't rate Kiraz in the centres. His kick return carries from the back playing wing is where his value is. He has much less impact at centre.

Dyldog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I can see it from a mile away we will move into second gear shifting critta to FB after 2-3 months. Think instead of fading over the span of the season we will grow into it.
I reckon Papalii will end up fullback by seasons end.. it’s good to have options finally.