Opinion Your rating on Gus' performance so far

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Ridiculous move to boot Gus, he is having zero impact on NRL results atm, but the fruits of his labor will inevitably show in 2-3 years. Ciro should be the man under pressure
Rubbish. Gus is hopeless at NRL level, completely hit and miss. Should stick to pathways and development and hand the reigns to someone else however there's no chance of that happening due to the size of his ego.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Rubbish. Gus is hopeless at NRL level, completely hit and miss. Should stick to pathways and development and hand the reigns to someone else however there's no chance of that happening due to the size of his ego.
I'm with you 100% but who can we get to run FG?

Aristidiz

Bullwog
Reaction score
Gus isn't the NRL coach, he is developing a system to inveitably bring talent through to it and improve it though. Name a better General Manager available for the role?

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Gus isn't the NRL coach, he is developing a system to inveitably bring talent through to it and improve it though. Name a better General Manager available for the role?
I'm still scratching my head why Gustavo distances himself so much from the assistant and FG....

You'd think he would help him to save face.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
What he is doing won’t be seen for 5-6 years if not longer. We took money out of juniors under previous regimes. And went from having the likes of Kasiano, Barba, Reynolds, Jackson, Finucane, Klemmer, Fuaolo, Mbye, Burr etc coming through to literally bringing in players who were park footballers.

Gus has come in. Fair enough on the surface nothing had changed. Along with the coaches and the board has identified some beauties but has also had some shockers at the same time. The biggest failures have been Kiks and Mahoney for different reasons. But I’m sure with quality throughout the 17 or the 30 man squad their performances will improve.

There are 3 people that can fix the club. Gus, Bennett, Bellamy. We have 1 of the 3. The other 2 won’t be coming. If it’s not Gus I worry about who takes over and what path they take.

This guy has been around for years, has been a part of success as a player, coach and administer. Has won comps And origins.

So far in my books he gets a pass mark. I’d give him 6/10. But in saying that, my faith is 10/10 that he is the man for the job. We went from a premiership window to a bottom 4 teams in 4 years through not doing the job right…. Now the only way is to dot every i and cross every t and you’d hope through a miracle or great management we get there in 3 years instead of 10.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Can someone finally answer me.....always get ignored for some reason.

For those that want to get rid of Gus, who are you replacing him with?

I won't wait for an answer because it won't be answered, like it hasn't for the last 2-3 months

I will give it a ago akhi,

I will answer your question with another question.

Is our team going to start playing any different (worse or better) if Gus is not the GM anymore?

If the answer is "I don't know" then this tells you that having Gus as the Top Dog on big salary is not making any difference at all.

People are questioning his position as the GM of the Football at Bulldogs because he is on big bucks, there is no question about this and with big dollars come big responsibilities and even bigger scrutiny.

Also if Gus was so good as people make him out to be he wouldn't have sacked Cleary for Griffin as a coach at Panthers.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score

Is our team going to start playing any different (worse or better) if Gus is not the GM anymore?

If the answer is "I don't know" then this tells you that having Gus as the Top Dog on big salary is not making any difference at all.

People are questioning his position as the GM of the Football at Bulldogs because he is on big bucks, there is no question about this and with big dollars come big responsibilities and even bigger scrutiny.

Also if Gus was so good as people make him out to be he wouldn't have sacked Cleary for Griffin as a coach at Panthers.
I can honestly say we will get better thanks to his pathways work. I use the strength of our former pathways and juniors as proof of it.

Love him or hate him he is smart, Ok he isn't a God that knows all or doesn't make mistakes, but take a snapshot of our beloved Bulldogs as an organisation now and one from 2 years ago and I'm very confident we are in a better place.

PS Cleary is a good coach but FMD give me that team that has been together from Juniors and I'll snag a few premierships too.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Ciraldo is Gus' coach. Gus re-signed RFM on a long-term deal. Gus bragged about signing Sutton. I could go on.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I'm with you 100% but who can we get to run FG?
I don't know, other general managers act behind the scenes and don't have their own show or constantly post on twitter about how great other clubs are or how many meetings they had lol. All I know is that Gus is severely overrated at the top level of the game, when was the last time he actually won something as an administrator or coach? Roosters GM or NSW coach about 20 years ago off the top of my head.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I don't know, other general managers act behind the scenes and don't have their own show or constantly post on twitter about how great other clubs are or how many meetings they had lol. All I know is that Gus is severely overrated at the top level of the game, when was the last time he actually won something as an administrator or coach? Roosters GM or NSW coach about 20 years ago off the top of my head.
Honestly if it weren't for his ego I reckon he would be one of best administrators the game has ever seen.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Honestly if it weren't for his ego I reckon he would be one of best administrators the game has ever seen.
I don't know, he's a bit weird when it comes to rating certain players and handing out deals. IBS dog is a good example. He's like 5th in line at best for a backrow spot at the Panthers yet Gus is talking him up because he rated him as a kid and thinks he's Wade Graham like lol.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Only a matter of time before Gus started copping it on here. But he has brought it on himself.

I do still think is Gus is our best bet at bringing back some pride in the jersey, but in the meantime he needs to make a tough call and pull the pin early on Ciro.
If Ciro gets sacked it will be an absolute disaster.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

I won't wait for an answer because it won't be answered, like it hasn't for the last 2-3 months
As I said in the thread initially I was all for us chasing Gus when he was with the Warriors. I read that Peter Parr from the Knights was actually the club's first choice before Gus. Parr and Peter O'Sullivan as recruitment manager could have worked.

You don't necessarily have to want Gus sacked to complain about his performance - about him not living up to his huge salary just as we can with any underperforming overpaid player. It's too late now to sack Gus and it's probably too late to sack Ciraldo because there's no-one who stands out worth replacing him with. It wasn't long ago though that Flanagan was available. Heck even Payten was available until February this year.

I always thought Gus was God. I had faith and really thought he would pull a rabbit out of a hat like a Munster, a Mitchell Moses, a Ben Hunt, a George Williams, a Payne Haas, a Tino type signing and for a coach a Payten or a Flanagan but unfortunately he's failed on all accounts and sadly proven not to be the saviour I and most on here hoped he would be. I also think Gus made a big mistake about 4 or 5 weeks ago when he said publicly that he was no longer looking at the scoreboard for the rest of the season, just improvement. That just helped give our players a free pass to serve up more shit for the majority of games.

The way our team have performed this year I think us fans are more than entitled to complain about everyone involved in the running of the club along with every player.

Last edited:

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
As I said in the thread initially I was all for us chasing Gus when he was with the Warriors. I read that Peter Parr from the Knights was actually the club's first choice before Gus. Parr and Peter O'Sullivan as recruitment manager could have worked.

You don't necessarily have to want Gus sacked to complain about his performance - about him not living up to his huge salary just as we can with any underperforming overpaid player. It's too late now to sack Gus and it's probably too late to sack Ciraldo because there's no-one who stands out worth replacing him with. It wasn't long ago though that Flanagan was available. Heck even Payten was available until February this year.

I always thought Gus was God. I really thought he would pull a Munster, a Mitchell Moses, a Ben Hunt, a Payne Haas, a Tino type signing and for a coach a Payten or a Flanagan but unfortunately he's failed on all accounts and sadly proven not to be the saviour I and most on here hoped he would be. I also thin Gus made a big mistake about 4 wees ago when he said publicly that he was no longer looing at the scoreboard for the rest of the season, just improvement. That just helped give our players a free pass to serve up more shit. The way our team have performed this year I think us fans are more than entitled to complain about everyone involved in the running of the club along with every player.
I agree with you bro apart from thinking he was god and can't do no wrong.

But that's how the kennel works, you either love or hate, a cuck or a hater. I like him as he is trying to help us, I dont like his fuck ups like the assistant, but until there is someone better then I don't want him sacked.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with you bro apart from thinking he was god and can't do no wrong.

But that's how the kennel works, you either love or hate, a cuck or a hater. I like him as he is trying to help us, I dont like his fuck ups like the assistant, but until there is someone better then I don't want him sacked.
I agree. No use sacking Ciro or Gould unless there's a better alternative moving forward. Adrian Lam is going okay in the UK but with us would likely turn out to be another Ciraldo. We need a good experienced NRL Head coach. I think it would also go a long way if Ciraldo had an experienced ex head coach (other than Potter) as an assistant. We should have offered Madge or John Morris more to join us.

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Cleary is a fraud and if it wasn’t for his son he wouldn’t be coaching.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

I can answer that for you bro.
If Ciro gets sacked, I dont care who they sign as his replacement.
I wanted a proven hard arse in Flano. Not because I like the bloke but because he wasn't another experiment, is a bit of a hard arse and has first grade experience. Poeple will cry drug cheat, i cry im sick of being fucking losers.
The Club wanted to go a different path, fair enough but after everything Ciro needs to deliver.
It will fucking kill me if Saints do well next year and we are still puss.
Pathways is one thing but you still need to assemble coaching staff and winner mentality that shows some results on the field.
They sack Ciro how could I possible believe anything from Gus or the Club after that. Gus said Baz would be here long after he was gone.
Imagine the upheaval setting us back even further.
To be honest its not looking promising. Will still have to wait till atleast mid next year where there will be no more excuses.
I dont care for Gus's "It will get worse before it gets better" buffer just because he said it.
Dont care about flash pre season vids, participation captaincy hand outs or any other new age woke shit from Ciro in the months leading into next years comp. Dont care for the there is no-one available, because Covid, because cap went up etc etc.
Need to show improvement from round 1 next year. If we dont Id have to be a fucking idiot to plod along believing this Club will turn it around.
I know how you feel about Ciro. I want to believe your wrong because I cant handle the thought that your right.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Many dud players in our FG team.. othe that Kikau and Mahoney doubt any of the forwards woukd crack another teams starting side.. add the duds in our backline..

XPICATE

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He screwed the pooch by not signing flanagan. I think he had fomo with ciraldo because of the hype around him.

The bulldog culture of old seems further away than ever atm so i’ll give him a 4. Fail.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I can answer that for you bro.
If Ciro gets sacked, I dont care who they sign as his replacement.
I wanted a proven hard arse in Flano. Not because I like the bloke but because he wasn't another experiment, is a bit of a hard arse and has first grade experience. Poeple will cry drug cheat, i cry im sick of being fucking losers.
The Club wanted to go a different path, fair enough but after everything Ciro needs to deliver.
It will fucking kill me if Saints do well next year and we are still puss.
Pathways is one thing but you still need to assemble coaching staff and winner mentality that shows some results on the field.
They sack Ciro how could I possible believe anything from Gus or the Club after that. Gus said Baz would be here long after he was gone.
Imagine the upheaval setting us back even further.
To be honest its not looking promising. Will still have to wait till atleast mid next year where there will be no more excuses.
I dont care for Gus's "It will get worse before it gets better" buffer just because he said it.
Dont care about flash pre season vids, participation captaincy hand outs or any other new age woke shit from Ciro in the months leading into next years comp. Dont care for the there is no-one available, because Covid, because cap went up etc etc.
Need to show improvement from round 1 next year. If we dont Id have to be a fucking idiot to plod along believing this Club will turn it around.
I know how you feel about Ciro. I want to believe your wrong because I cant handle the thought that your right.
I'll be happy to be wrong about the assistant, I'll even make an apology thread lol