Votes: 31 28.7%

Votes: 49 45.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Bulldogs page says it all regarding their run to the GF
Having finished in sixth place at the end of the regular season, the Bulldogs managed a history-making finals surge, winning three sudden death matches to make the Grand Final.

This was the team and its interesting that we didn't have the biggest pack in the game so it shows that sheer determination and courage can win comps. It also seems that they only had 3 reserves for the match which is even more incredible. I remember Hetherington was small but a beaast in defence. But Britt and Pay were not the biggest props. But like now they had a great back row and of course Ba Ba.

Our backs were not the most well known but got the job done. Halligan was like El Masri with the boot and Silva was quick. I thought Ryan and Timu were underestimated.

Rod Silva
Jason Williams
John Timu
Mathew Ryan
Daryl Halligan
Terry Lamb
Craig Polla-Mounter
Darren Britt
Jason Hetherington
Dean Pay
Steve Price
Simon Gillies
Jim Dymock

Jason Smith
Glen Hughes
Mitch Newton
What I remember well from our team of the '90s is that the forwards managed to pass in tackles to guys pushing up or running off the forward.

These days, and especially last year with TPJ, we just look to pass to someone not expecting the ball, or for no real benefit. Most of our guys other than Tevita, hardly get a ball away.

The 90s had many forwards who would get the arm free (around the corner even) and reward the guy backing up. If the ball got to Lamb or Silva, it was shut the gates.

Good times. Wish we could play more like that.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
What I remember well from our team of the '90s is that the forwards managed to pass in tackles to guys pushing up or running off the forward.

These days, and especially last year with TPJ, we just look to pass to someone not expecting the ball, or for no real benefit. Most of our guys other than Tevita, hardly get a ball away.

The 90s had many forwards who would get the arm free (around the corner even) and reward the guy backing up. If the ball got to Lamb or Silva, it was shut the gates.

Yeah we were a great offloading team in the 90's & 00's. Hasler changed all that by making the forwards pass the ball before they even got to the defensive line.

stevesonthebay

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

Yeah I think that was a leftover from the 80s entertainers where they could string a dozen passes together keeping the ball alive.

Thats whta I like about the current side in that because we have a number of utilities who have some ball skills and can keep the play going from anywhere on the field.

rand0m3r

Since 1994
Reaction score
definitely 2004 because of the intense rivalry with the roosters from previous years.

i still rmb watching a game in the regular season at the SFS where i spent the entire second half looking out for brawls breaking out in the stadium. didn't feel safe that night even as a doggies fan lol.

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
Had a car accident in 95. Was in hospital and the Bulldogs looked done for the year. As I got out and started my rehab the Bulldogs started to click and it was very inspiring. Also the teams we beat to get to the Grand Final were the who who's of the last 4 years with the best team in the comp Manly in the Grand Final. And we just didn't beat those team, but made it not even close. Watching Canberra and Brisbane get lapped in the finals was amazing not to say what we did to Manly.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
'95 encapsulates exactly what it means to be a Bulldog.

Every man and his dog wrote us off.

Massive internal strife at the club.

Some absolutely ordinary results during the year. Who can forget that 42-0 drubbing at Newcastle?

But, we pulled it out of the fire.

Extroadinary finals football.

Saints. Brisbane. But that Canberra game. Fucking smashed them.

Then the final. Terry getting sent to the bin but still winning by 13 odd.

Last Windfield Cup.

To me this final, this year represents EXACTLY what it means to be a Bulldog.

Grit. Character. Teamwork.

From a personal viewpoint I went to every game.

The only reason I went to the final is that Bullfrog stepped in and got me tickets personally, and I ended up sitting next to Terry Lamb's sister behind the posts.

Fucking magic.

Trinfly

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
'95 encapsulates exactly what it means to be a Bulldog.

Every man and his dog wrote us off.

Massive internal strife at the club.

Some absolutely ordinary results during the year. Who can forget that 42-0 drubbing at Newcastle?

But, we pulled it out of the fire.

Extroadinary finals football.

Saints. Brisbane. But that Canberra game. Fucking smashed them.

Then the final. Terry getting sent to the bin but still winning by 13 odd.

Last Windfield Cup.

To me this final, this year represents EXACTLY what it means to be a Bulldog.

Grit. Character. Teamwork.

From a personal viewpoint I went to every game.

The only reason I went to the final is that Bullfrog stepped in and got me tickets personally, and I ended up sitting next to Terry Lamb's sister behind the posts.

Fucking magic.
For me, Gillies was instrumental in leading the pack for the last 6 weeks. No doubt everyone played their part, but Gillies was sensational.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
For me, Gillies was instrumental in leading the pack for the last 6 weeks. No doubt everyone played their part, but Gillies was sensational.
Dean Pay was our best forward with Simon Gillies next.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Easily 1995 by far, Terry Lamb the legend.
We won convincingly also, which is most satisfying.
Read the team lists both teams Wow.
Easily 1995 by far, Terry Lamb the legend.
We won convincingly also, which is most satisfying.
Read the team lists both teams Wow.View attachment 101580
I watched that game with a view of Uluru through my hotel window.
View attachment 101580
Had a car accident in 95. Was in hospital and the Bulldogs looked done for the year. As I got out and started my rehab the Bulldogs started to click and it was very inspiring. Also the teams we beat to get to the Grand Final were the who who's of the last 4 years with the best team in the comp Manly in the Grand Final. And we just didn't beat those team, but made it not even close. Watching Canberra and Brisbane get lapped in the finals was amazing not to say what we did to Manly.
I was at Uluru, watching the game rather than go sightseeing.

I remember picking up the papers in Alice Springs a few days later, reading about Fulton's blowup over a seven tackle try. No mention of the try we had taken off us for a double movement that wasn't.

I drove around NT with blue and white streamers trailing from the car. As it turned out Blue and White were the colours of North Alice Springs Aussie Rules club, so finding streamers was no problem, and people thought I was a local.

The week was rounded off by a Carlton win in the AFL GF.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I gotta say the 1980 GF even though I agree the 1995 GF was a great effort considering we won it from outside the top 4 which like you say was never done at least for that time.

But after 38 years without a comp the 80 GF win was one to cherish. Especially that we had gone close in 1979 and we how the Hughes and Mortimer brothers and the rest of the team who were practically family like Folks and Anderson were geling and playing great entertaining footy.

Geoff Robo was a cult hero with his kamikaze runs and that try to seal the match from Brentnall's kick caught perfectly by Gearin on the line was a try for the ages. The way Ted Glossip who was pretty reserved jumped on his feet and fist pumped the air to say we have won the GF. That was the icing on the cake showing the natural flair the team had developed in the late 70's with a deserved GF win in style.

It also laid the foundation for a Bulldog era as it was the first year the team played as the Bulldogs rather than the Berries and the nucleus of that team went on to dominate the 80's especially the Mortimer brothers and later Lamb.

Pretty sure that was the first time that a kick for a try was taken on the full. It was the first I'd seen in all my years following Rugby League.
That's why the commentators were so excited, and the crowd over the moon at what just happened.

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
1980 was life changing we hadn’t won in 38 years and did it against a star studded roosters team
And our dynasty started and gave the best decade ever
Agree ....

And put the game to bed with one of the greatest tries ever scored ... I can remember going berserk with my dad and uncles on the SCG hill like it was yesterday. Totally changed the way The Bulldogs were perceived. We became one of the big teams.

UNFORGETTABLE.

spaced_monkey

Waterboy
Reaction score
84 was the first one I remember so is a favourite with so many legends in that team. 04 obviously - probably the best team we’ve ever had. Gotta say though, I like to count the 98 GF qualifier against Parra as a GF. Probably best game I’ve ever witnessed - and it still burns Parra fans [emoji23]

Trinfly

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
84 was the first one I remember so is a favourite with so many legends in that team. 04 obviously - probably the best team we’ve ever had. Gotta say though, I like to count the 98 GF qualifier against Parra as a GF. Probably best game I’ve ever witnessed - and it still burns Parra fans [emoji23]
I've replayed that game more than any others If I was a player ..incl GF that would be the game I would have loved to played in. Plus I love hearing Sterlo in commentary re Carrick " why did he kick" brilliant stuff.

Trinfly

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dean Pay was our best forward with Simon Gillies next.
I tell you what I'd buy them both a beer. But I do remember Pay putting a shot on Lazarus in 2nd min cracked a rib off he went and Gillies screaming at the pack behind posts against the raiders. It is stuff that dogs supporters yearn for now.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
95 we came from nowhere and no one expected us to win it..

But 2004 for me trumps 1995.. as a GF win was really needed after our period of dominance and against our big rivals at the time.. tight match & would have sucked more to lose 2004 GF more than the 95 GF

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hard to go past 04 because I was there . . . But they were all good. I like watching 88 and 95 though

rainman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Agree ....

And put the game to bed with one of the greatest tries ever scored ... I can remember going berserk with my dad and uncles on the SCG hill like it was yesterday. Totally changed the way The Bulldogs were perceived. We became one of the big teams.

UNFORGETTABLE.
I was on the hill as well
The reserve grade win was a ripper as well