Votes: 7 6.5%

Votes: 31 28.7%

Votes: 49 45.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RXDog

Waterboy
Reaction score
Being a wog child of the 70's, all I knew was soccer.

In 1977 Parra vs St George GF became a big deal at my primary school (BIG shout out to all the Harcourt Public OLD BOYS!!!)

In 1978 I discovered the Bulldogs.

In 1979 we were cheated out of a premiership by a forward pass (Never got over that).

Yes, I hold a grudge (F@#K the Saints, the refs and since the 90s, the Roosters)

In 1980 the entertainers won the title, with a style of football that was never seen before or since..

Then Warren Ryan (my PE teacher at Belmore Boys) created the Dogs of War and I became a lifetime tragic of the DOGS.
Yes - being a wog boy in 70's all I knew was soccer as well. i DISCOVERWED IN 78 AS WELL WHEN MY DAD TOOK ME TO GAME bELOMORE

Cantabrian35

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Being at the SCG to witness The Entertainers win in 1980 was one of my all time favourite childhood memories. As that was the first premiership in a long time and we'd lost the year before, it made it super special but every Grand Final win since has been a great memory.

On the other hand, the 1986 Grand FInal still stings the most as it stopped the three-peat, it was to Parramatta, we had a player sent off and it was such a close result. 2014 was the next worst as that felt like it was preordained. The ringing of the South Sydney foundation bell before the game was nauseating. It's also the only Grand Final I can remember where we were outnumbered in the crowd.

RXDog

Waterboy
Reaction score
Sorry I had caps lock & didn't finish my sentence - it's not wog English i was writing.

1980 was the best GF - Steve Gearin's try was the best GF try - it came from nothing & it sealed the win.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
1995. We played average all year with the Super League drama hovering throughout. Scraped into the 8. Knocked off Saints (my most hated team at that point), Broncos,Canberra and then raging hot favourites Manly in the GF.

We lost to all of them in the regular season, but we were the best team in the finals without doubt.

matthew

Kennel Established
Reaction score
2004 because it was such a fucked time when we got our points stripped in 2002 and copped heaps of shit from mates for being salary cap cheats. Shut them all up in 2004

rainman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Every GF win is special, but being a bit (?) older, I loved the 1980 win because I remember wondering before that when we would ever win one.
And the Steve Gearin try is still one of the best and most exciting GF tries I have seen.

1984 was special because we stopped the Eels winning four in a row.

And we all remember the Terry Lamb slap on Ellery Hanley in the 1988 GF, but IIRC, in the 1985 GF, the Dragon's Graeme Wynn started off the game making some good runs and line breaks - until Peter Kelly sorted him out. After that, Wynn wasn't as effective. Another great GF win.
This ❤

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yes - being a wog boy in 70's all I knew was soccer as well. i DISCOVERWED IN 78 AS WELL WHEN MY DAD TOOK ME TO GAME bELOMORE
Me too.

I used to sit with my dad and watch the English 1st Div on the ABC.

You would get a featured match and highlights of other games in a 1 hour show.

Nineth Ave was a hop, skip and a jump from Belmore Oval.

When I discovered Rugby League my father would take me to games at Belmore when we could afford it.

In 1981 the year after we won the GF we moved to Loftus St.

I kicked out 2 pailings of the back fence and I would walk down the hill, through what used to be a muddy car park and would get to watch every 2nd half of every home game for free as an 11yo..

It was such a great time to be a kid.

I took my kids to the 1st game back at Belmore and they could not believe the atmosphere on the hill and how close you could get to the players.

When they got to run onto the field, it unfortunately created 3 more Bulldogs tragics.

Kennel Established
Reaction score
1995. We played average all year with the Super League drama hovering throughout. Scraped into the 8. Knocked off Saints (my most hated team at that point), Broncos,Canberra and then raging hot favourites Manly in the GF.

We lost to all of them in the regular season, but we were the best team in the finals without doubt.
Without doubt for me it would be the 95 grand final!!! We beat some amazing teams throughout the semis and then did a number on the raging hot Sea Eagles.

Plus I was at the game to witness this incredible victory and I'm also in this grand final photo with legend Terry Lamb and Jason Smith which was in the Telegraph... (I'm holding the banner)

Thanks for the memories...
Go you Doggies!!!

20210403_110156.jpg

WillieMasonFan

Kennel Established
Reaction score
1998 because it is the only GF I have been to. Had a mate from Brisbane show up out of the blue and we just went to the SFS an hour or 2 before kickoff and a guy standing out front sold us tickets sitting together for face value, I think they were about $30 each. Not the best seats in the house, but it was a great afternoon and such a shame to see Ellery Hanley had to be taken off injured, otherwise Balmain may well have won.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
04 for me.
I just felt like after falling short in 98,
Then the 02 disaster, I just felt like we were due.
I honestly felt like we had the best squad and the roosters were getting all the kudos
I just felt we deserved it.

DoggiesUtd

ps3- DoggiesUtd
Reaction score
2004 is hard to beat as I turned 18 that year and went to pretty much every game that season including all finals games, after 2002 it didn't get much sweeter than that.(also Greece won the Euros that year so best year ever!!)

95 I was only 9 and Baa was the reason I became a dog's supporter so that was special!!

If we won 98 that would've almost been top for me, that run we had in the finals was unbelievable, 2 back to back come from behind wins to win in extra time was special, games we were well behind in - I think it was 16-0 against Joey Johns Newcastle and 18-2 vs eels with less than 15 mins left!

We should've won in 2012!!
2014 had no right to be in the grand final, somehow got there and that last 30mins has left me scarred since!
Fk we better make finals this year

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
95 is the best for me.
- Coming off the back of losing in 94 as minor premiers.
- Terry Lambs farewell season (at the time)
- Super League split the club in two. We never seemed to get out of 2nd gear until a couple weeks before the finals.
- Last regular season match at Belmore was our biggest win ever.
- Finished the regular season 6th.
- Beat the Dragons then glamour teams Brisbane and Canberra. Getting revenge over the Raiders for last seasons GF loss.
- Beat the almost unbeatable Sea Eagles in the GF. They never looked like scoring. We were absolutely amazing.
- Winning the GF from 6th, the lowest position anyone has ever won from.

Honestly, someone at the club needs to organise for a behind the scenes style documentary about that season.
I’m with you, this has to be the best GF, this game had everything.
Lambs last game, we were the underdogs and no one gave us a chance.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
1980 1st followed by 1995
1980 was our first GF win in 40 years and with our legendary "Entertainers" side and our GOAT Turvey.
1995 was the miracle win with our internal problems and a great win over the most hated team in the comp.

enoughsaid

Kennel Tips Winner '04
Reaction score
Being a wog child of the 70's, all I knew was soccer.

In 1977 Parra vs St George GF became a big deal at my primary school (BIG shout out to all the Harcourt Public OLD BOYS!!!)

In 1978 I discovered the Bulldogs.

In 1979 we were cheated out of a premiership by a forward pass (Never got over that).

Yes, I hold a grudge (F@#K the Saints, the refs and since the 90s, the Roosters)

In 1980 the entertainers won the title, with a style of football that was never seen before or since..

Then Warren Ryan (my PE teacher at Belmore Boys) created the Dogs of War and I became a lifetime tragic of the DOGS.
Did u ever Get Caned by the old wok?

that short backswing was legendary

hackenbush

Kennel Established
Reaction score
1980 stands out as special. Slept overnight outside the SCG, to get in early for the best seats. (Before the day of Tickerteck) John English belting out pre-game entertainment. A young reserve grade team wins the grand final against a Parra team that included Arthur Beetson, Graham Murray & Garry Dowling. A great prelude for the main game.
A the Steve Gearin try see it live was amazing. Journeying back the the leagues club, canterbury road was a sea of blue & white. Had manage to book a table at the Chinese Restaurent at the leagues club. What a great night all the players at various times came through. A Special day.

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
95. Had my all time favorite player Baa. We were massive underdogs and manly had lost 4 games all season & we stuck it to them. It was gold because I fucking hated manly because they bought everything at the time like the roosters & souffs do currently.