Your annual leave is cancelled!

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
have you worked at a job where it was impossible to take leave or it was frowned upon?

I worked at a place once where before I started (at the interview) I told them I had a holiday planned in 6 months, paid for...

A mate that worked there told me it was ballsy as he put in for annual leave giving 18 months notice and it had not yet been approved

Anyhow started work and then a few weeks before my holiday, the boss calls me in and says we are just too busy can you reschedule your trip. I said nope. I was the organiser and 14 others were coming. They tried again and when I said no, started bad mouthing me behind my back... I took off to Vegas and it started a real problem in the office.. How come he gets to go on holidays and noone else leave gets approved.

When I returned I was getting the cold shoulder and I was already upset with them the way they tried to ruin my holiday... My mate still couldnt get his holiday approved, now a good year out.

Then I resigned to leave and they got all nervous that others would leave so his holiday gets approved..

Then as his holiday become close they did the same to him, gotta reschedule your holiday routine... He told them where to go and went on his holiday as it was actually a sporting championship overseas which he had trained for... When he was gone they bad mouthed him and said he wasnt committed.

He ended up leaving but the poor souls that work there, still cant get a holiday, we both took off overseas to mock their tyranny!

How is your workplace for holidays..

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It’s in my agreement to not accumulate over a set amount. So eventually I would be forced to take leave.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Would of thought majority of places don’t want employees building up excess leave

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
have you worked at a job where it was impossible to take leave or it was frowned upon?

I worked at a place once where before I started (at the interview) I told them I had a holiday planned in 6 months, paid for...

A mate that worked there told me it was ballsy as he put in for annual leave giving 18 months notice and it had not yet been approved

Anyhow started work and then a few weeks before my holiday, the boss calls me in and says we are just too busy can you reschedule your trip. I said nope. I was the organiser and 14 others were coming. They tried again and when I said no, started bad mouthing me behind my back... I took off to Vegas and it started a real problem in the office.. How come he gets to go on holidays and noone else leave gets approved.

When I returned I was getting the cold shoulder and I was already upset with them the way they tried to ruin my holiday... My mate still couldnt get his holiday approved, now a good year out.

Then I resigned to leave and they got all nervous that others would leave so his holiday gets approved..

Then as his holiday become close they did the same to him, gotta reschedule your holiday routine... He told them where to go and went on his holiday as it was actually a sporting championship overseas which he had trained for... When he was gone they bad mouthed him and said he wasnt committed.

He ended up leaving but the poor souls that work there, still cant get a holiday, we both took off overseas to mock their tyranny!

How is your workplace for holidays..
You copied this story.

Magic Burton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The place I work for is very good. I have to take 2wks over Christmas/NY as many people in lots of industries would have too. 4 of those days covered by public/work holidays. I get 2wks & 4 days I can take during the year. As long as it's not done during the two peak busy times or my boss is away it's always accepted. If it's more than a day or two just a couple weeks notice.

I didn't have as much luck in 2022 when a one day leave application got rejected. I kind of stood my ground. I got the one day leave. Much better now.

Good on you for taking off overseas and mocking the system.

Magic Burton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would of thought majority of places don’t want employees building up excess leave
They generally don't want you building up leave and rather you use the weeks allocated up.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

UmoGus

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
My last gig in sales was a nightmare. I took maybe 4 weeks leave in the 6 years I was there because they never got approved.

Now Iv Been my own boss for the past 3 years and haven't taken any annual leave haha

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
I can take as much leave as I want well within reason but I work for myself and don’t get paid for it. I really wouldn’t recommend it. The money is good but you have to factor in all the expenses and especially family expenses. Never going on a holiday ect ect missus doesn’t like that.

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The place I work for is very good. I have to take 2wks over Christmas/NY as many people in lots of industries would have too. 4 of those days covered by public/work holidays. I get 2wks & 4 days I can take during the year. As long as it's not done during the two peak busy times or my boss is away it's always accepted. If it's more than a day or two just a couple weeks notice.

I didn't have as much luck in 2022 when a one day leave application got rejected. I kind of stood my ground. I got the one day leave. Much better now.

Good on you for taking off overseas and mocking the system.
Do they make you use your annual leave for the forced xmas shut down? My work does that and I bloody hate it. I’d be fine just having the public holidays off only. Everywhere jacks their prices up for Xmas holiday time and it’s booked out way in advance, too much traffic on the road and double demerit points. Rather use my leave at I time I want too.

Magic Burton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do they make you use your annual leave for the forced xmas shut down? My work does that and I bloody hate it. I’d be fine just having the public holidays off only. Everywhere jacks their prices up for Xmas holiday time and it’s booked out way in advance, too much traffic on the road and double demerit points. Rather use my leave at I time I want too.
Yes I lose 6 days of my 20 days allowable leave during that time so it's mandatory 2wks off. I get what they call a bonus day where it's a work holiday.

I am lucky with the other 14 days. If I want to take off 2-3 days I can give less than a weeks notice. If it's a full week or longer I need to give adequate notification.

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Excessive leave = liability.

Depends on your job really for example if you’re in sales you have KPI targets. If you’re under performing and taking 6 weeks off you are not going to hit your numbers therefore you’re leave request is questionable.

If you’re smashing it, and asking for 6 weeks there is no problem. You’re an employee, they pay you to bring in revenue, not pay you and take leave. You bring no ROI, if it was me I’ll look to manage you out of the business.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Really hurts your ability to have a decent overseas holiday too