Young Muslim leader arrested

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fully Sik Drop kick

Abra Kebabra
Reaction score
YOUNG Muslim leader Iktimal Hage-Ali – a handpicked adviser to the Prime Minister – was arrested in a cocaine bust eight days before receiving the NSW Young Australian of the Year award.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal Ms Hage-Ali, 22, was one of four people arrested by detectives from the Middle Eastern organised crime squad on November 22 as part of Strike Force Kirban.

She was arrested at her Punchbowl home and taken to Bankstown police station, where she was questioned over a cocaine supply ring allegedly operating in Sydney's southwest.

The leading member of John Howard's Muslim Community Reference Group was released without charge.

Police seized what is believed to be prohibited drugs, cash and ammunition from several of the homes.

Ms Hage-Ali's home was not searched, but she had been identified by police as a suspect.

The Daily Telegraph first learned of her arrest last week, but Ms Hage-Ali vehemently denied any involvement or links to alleged drug suppliers.

"If it is true, why hasn't it come out?" she said. "I am a high-profile person, I have no idea why people would be saying this."

The prominent youth leader has worked full-time as a personal assistant in the NSW Attorney-General's department for three months.

Ms Hage-Ali claimed last week that she had only been to Bankstown police station on two occasions – once to report a threatening text message after the Cronulla riots and more recently to talk to police about how to relate better to Muslims.

She did not return calls yesterday, despite repeated requests to respond to the allegations.

A Daily Telegraph investigation has confirmed that Ms Hage-Ali was taken to Bankstown police station on November 22, where she participated in a police interview.

Following the interview, police exercised their discretionary powers to allow her to leave without facing charges.

Ms Hage-Ali was one of four people targeted in the raids.

The other three, males aged 17, 22 and 23, are facing the courts on drug supply charges.

Two were arrested in Telopea St, Punchbowl, while a third was a Greenacre man.

In raids on the men's homes, police allegedly seized cash, pills and powders, believed to be prohibited drugs.

Eight days after the arrests, Ms Hage-Ali received her NSW Young Australian of the Year award from Governor Marie Bashir.

She has been considered a frontrunner for the national award, to be announced on Australia Day.

Ms Hage-Ali is the youngest member of John Howard's Muslim Community Reference Group and a former deputy chair of the State Government's Youth Advisory Council.

She has had access to the highest levels of government and works full-time in the NSW Attorney-General's Department.

The popular young Muslim made headlines last week after members of her own community attacked her for sipping a glass of champagne at the NSW Australian of the Year awards.

Yesterday Middle Eastern organised crime squad commander Detective Superintendent Ken McKay said he was unable to comment because the matter was before the courts.

Ms Hage-Ali lectures police on showing cultural sensitivity to people of Middle Eastern background.

The revelation leaves the PM's already damaged Muslim reference group in even greater doubt.

The group ceased to convene regular meetings in September and Mr Howard wants the whole body overhauled.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,20917318-5001021,00.html

Nash

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
....holy ****?

Maza

Reaction score
It's front page on the Telegraph.

Quite shocking.

Fully Sik Drop kick

Abra Kebabra
Reaction score
i dont think she's actually involved herself, but somehow has been caught up in other peoples mess

-Kurry-

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
i wonder how she will celebrate if she gets out of this? :p :p

anyway, its hard to avoid connection to people when they are around you......she is proabbly just in the wrong crowd/area/family. :o

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
LMFAO. Makes the whole 'sipping champers' look a little dull.
that's what i was thinking, It seems suss but i guess we'll never know

Game Breaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Telecrap spreading more BS.

She wasnt charged, just questioned. Big deal.

Fully Sik Drop kick

Abra Kebabra
Reaction score
this story just keeps getting better & better :D

CONTROVERSIAL Muslim role model Iktimal Hage-Ali is allegedly a cocaine user arrested in the same raid as a youth linked to the killer of schoolboy Edward Lee.

The youth – who appeared in Parramatta Children's Court yesterday charged with drug supply – was caught at the same time Ms Hage-Ali was arrested by Strike Force Kirban on November 22.

Ms Hage-Ali, 22, handed back her NSW Young Australian of the Year award yesterday and last night admitted: "I have made poor judgments and I have made some mistakes and I regret it."

The Daily Telegraph this week exposed details of her arrest in the cocaine raid.

A covert police investigation allegedly established that Ms Hage-Ali was a cocaine user.

The juvenile and two adult males, Mohammed Fahda, 23, and Khoder Katrib, 22, are accused of supplying drugs. The 17-year-old from Telopea St, Punchbowl, cannot be named for legal reasons.

He appeared briefly in court yesterday and has not entered a plea to one charge of supplying a prohibited drug.

He is linked to a man convicted of killing schoolboy Edward Lee in Telopea St in 1998.

Mr Lee was stabbed to death by Mustapha Dib during a brawl between Asian and Lebanese gangs. Dib was convicted of manslaughter.

Ms Hage-Ali was not charged after the cocaine bust. She initially denied the claims, but agreed to relinquish her award yesterday.

"It is with a heavy heart that I relinquish this award and I sincerely thank the organisers and the people who have supported me," she said.

"I do not want circumstances that affect me to diminish the status of the award or the fine reputation of people who work hard to make this award what it is."

As Ms Hage-Ali dropped out of the Australia Day honours process, more details of her acquaintances came to light.

When reporters attended Ms Hage-Ali's Punchbowl home for comment this week, a black Porsche bearing the number plate "FE1ONY" pulled up at the house.

An unidentified man began threatening reporters with violence if they did not leave.

The Daily Telegraph has established the Porsche belongs to a man who is well-known to police.

The men charged in the raids will appear at a bail hearing in Bankstown Local Court on Monday.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,20928137-5001021,00.html

BootS

Danned
Reaction score
LMFAO!!!! ****ing drug dealers are scum!!

Game Breaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
well then it aint bs.......The leading member of John Howard's Muslim Community Reference Group was released without charge.

You sticking up for the Telecrap?

They accused her of being a cocaine user, sentationalised the whole story about her having links with dealers.

The telecrap makes a living of spreading BS

C

Cookie^Monstah

lol again at this supposedly newsworthy article.

the daily telegraph have their own agenda, ITS SO OBVIOUS! if you cant see it then there is really something wrong. hello one week they are praising Ikty as a great muslim leader/person/whatever and bagging out the people who criticised an action of hers then the next week they go publish a story that everyone (i.e. in media circles and within her community) already knew about for weeks. DT = scum.

by the way, from what i've heard she is Alawi, they are a sect that alot of religious (muslim and non-muslim) scholars dont even consider as Muslims, or rather dont follow "mainstream islam"....so this whole "muslim leader" thing can get a bit annoying. (no offence to any Alawi's, i dont really know enough myself but have read a few articles here n there about them :o)

anyway there is no solid evidence of her being a user or trafficker just yet.

p.s. i really feel sorry for Iktimal! i mean im sure she does alot of work and stuff (i really don't know what she has done though :o) but to be demonised in the public eye is unfair.

wogdog

Boards Don't Hit Back!
Reaction score
i bet if her name was something like eg " wendy smith" i bet nobody would care and neither would the papers

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Just another example of what the media can do. They can either make you or F*CK you up sideways.

Only in this case it was media R-a-p-e. The minute she got her award, they f*cked her up sideways until not only were muslims condemning her, but pushed her into handing back her award - f*ckers...

Tunks

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
there is no such thing as innocent until proven guilty in our society. But gee here life has become one big rollercoaster.

BootS

Danned
Reaction score
You hang out with dogs you will get flea's.

Hope this helps.

Tha DoggFather

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
She aint too bad looking, Id give her a go. Maybe she can share some of her coke? LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.