News 'You don't forget that stuff': Jacob Kiraz reveals Phil Gould, Cameron Ciraldo's support during family heartache after re-signing

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bulldogs young gun Jacob Kiraz has revealed how coach Cameron Ciraldo and football boss Phil Gould's support during his brother's leukaemia fight played a role in him re-signing with the club.

Kiraz penned a long-term extension to remain with the Bulldogs this week, with the new deal seeing him locked in to the club through the 2027 season.

The 21-year-old scored six tries in 19 appearances this season, but had to endure through some family heartache when his brother Joseph was diagnosed with leukaemia.

Kiraz opened up on how Ciraldo and Gould helped support he and his family during that time.

"I was in shock and I remember I came to training the first day after it happened because I didn't know what to do," he told 9News Sydney.

"Out of nowhere I broke down and then Ciro (Ciraldo) came and I told him what happened and he said, 'Go home. I want you to hang out with your brother. Family is always No.1'.

"I had Ciro and Gus come to my house and seeing if I'm all good, having a coffee and just checking up on me. They sent flowers to my family to just make sure my mum and dad and all my siblings were alright.

"They didn't rush me coming back to training, they just said, 'Come here when you're ready'."

Kiraz admitted Gould and Ciraldo's support played a major role when it came to deciding whether to stay with the Bulldogs or go elsewhere.

"You don't forget that stuff," he said.

"Once the club did that for me and my family, that's the least I could do, stay with them, so I'm happy."

Kiraz, a Lebanon international, made his debut for the Bulldogs in 2022, and has scored 12 tries in 34 first-grade appearances for the club.

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Definitely a bulldog at heart.
2024 the pieces need to start coming together and with all the grand final experiene signings we need to show a lot more in attack an defence.
Hopefully we can go from quicksand to explosive in one year

Malla

Reaction score
Kiraz is an awesome kid, from a lovely family. He's honestly one of the nicest people you will ever meet. Thankful for his brother being in remission. You could tell it was effecting him this season. He pushed through and made no excuses. Played with an injured knee while his brother was going through this. Bulldog for life.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Would assume he'll be at full fitness 2024, should have a cracking season.

04 Dreaming

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well done to the club for putting family first.
Now let’s see how the trolls will flip this and make it a bad thing.
Well done to the club but this isnt some sort of amazing story of leadership. Coach Clueless made a decision that any other normal manager in the world would make in the same situation. Its nice but hardly media worthy.

I Wish Jacob and his fam the very best

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Well done to the club but this isnt some sort of amazing story of leadership. Coach Clueless made a decision that any other normal manager in the world would make in the same situation. Its nice but hardly media worthy.

I Wish Jacob and his fam the very best
It’s still a good story even just to have your boss rocking up to your house with flowers is a big deal.
When was the last time your boss came over with flowers to wish you and your family the best?

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Probably where the unfounded rumours came from that he was unsettled and maybe being shopped around .. media and gossip mongers couldn’t get the real story so they just invented their own.

Meanwhile in reality world he was really going through a very tough family health issue with full support from Gould, Ciraldo & everyone at the club ..

Seems like a good kid and a Bulldog through and through, hope everything with his family is ok now and alls looking positive …

justdogs

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Bulldogs young gun Jacob Kiraz has revealed how coach Cameron Ciraldo and football boss Phil Gould's support during his brother's leukaemia fight played a role in him re-signing with the club.

Kiraz penned a long-term extension to remain with the Bulldogs this week, with the new deal seeing him locked in to the club through the 2027 season.

The 21-year-old scored six tries in 19 appearances this season, but had to endure through some family heartache when his brother Joseph was diagnosed with leukaemia.

Kiraz opened up on how Ciraldo and Gould helped support he and his family during that time.

"I was in shock and I remember I came to training the first day after it happened because I didn't know what to do," he told 9News Sydney.

"Out of nowhere I broke down and then Ciro (Ciraldo) came and I told him what happened and he said, 'Go home. I want you to hang out with your brother. Family is always No.1'.

"I had Ciro and Gus come to my house and seeing if I'm all good, having a coffee and just checking up on me. They sent flowers to my family to just make sure my mum and dad and all my siblings were alright.

"They didn't rush me coming back to training, they just said, 'Come here when you're ready'."

Kiraz admitted Gould and Ciraldo's support played a major role when it came to deciding whether to stay with the Bulldogs or go elsewhere.

"You don't forget that stuff," he said.

"Once the club did that for me and my family, that's the least I could do, stay with them, so I'm happy."

Kiraz, a Lebanon international, made his debut for the Bulldogs in 2022, and has scored 12 tries in 34 first-grade appearances for the club.
Good on you Jacob, wish the best for your brother

Menteek

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Kiraz is an awesome kid, from a lovely family. He's honestly one of the nicest people you will ever meet. Thankful for his brother being in remission. You could tell it was effecting him this season. He pushed through and made no excuses. Played with an injured knee while his brother was going through this. Bulldog for life.
Can’t wait to see them at pre season open training. Definitely want to catch up with the boys

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
When was the last time your boss came over with flowers to wish you and your family the best?
This morning, apparently :-):
1698197225055.gif
But but but, no-one respects Ciro and he’s a poor man manager and everyone wants out…pfft. He went to Fiji for Kik’s dad’s funeral and now a good gesture for the Kiraz family. But haters gonna hate aren’t they…

MoNkEy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have no doubt that Kiraz will be a major part of our next (long overdue) successful phase.

The kid bleeds true Bulldog spirit.

Going forward, he won't play for another club.