CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My heart’s in Penrith’: Yeo to snub Dogs in favour of fresh Panthers deal
PANTHERS

• October 30, 2020 11:59am
  • by MATT LOGUE
  • Source: NCA NewsWire
Isaah Yeo wants to re-sign with Penrith despite interest from Trent Barrett’s Bulldogs. Picture: Mark Kolbe/Getty Images
Isaah Yeo wants to re-sign with Penrith despite interest from Trent Barrett’s Bulldogs. Picture: Mark Kolbe/Getty ImagesSource: Getty Images
Penrith lock Isaah Yeo is humbled that incoming Canterbury coach Trent Barrett wants him to sign at Belmore but believes he owes it to the Panthers to stay.
Yeo was surprised when reports surfaced suggesting Barrett is keen to lure him to the Bulldogs when he comes off-contract at the end of 2021.
The Dubbo-born forward is a free agent from November 1, but he feels like his future belongs at the foot of the mountains.
Get all the latest NRL news, highlights and analysis delivered straight to your inbox with Fox Sports Sportmail. Sign up now >
Grand Final

1. Team logo for Penrith

ANZ Stadium
    FULL TIME
    Team logo for Melbourne

Watch Video Highlights

“I’m still on contract at Penrith, and I’d like to think my heart is there,” Yeo said.

“I’ve been fortunate enough to come through there and I moved there when I was 17, so my first priority is to stay at Penrith, and I’d like to think that something will work out there.”
In his seven NRL seasons at Penrith, Yeo has rarely received interest from a rival club.
It’s why the news even shocked his family, including his father Justin.
Isaah Yeo is a Penrith boy. Picture: Mark Kolbe/Getty Images
Isaah Yeo is a Penrith boy. Picture: Mark Kolbe/Getty ImagesSource: Getty Images

“My old man was asking me if there was any truth to it,” he said.
“This is the first time (in my career) where I’ve been in a position like this where articles are written about interest from other clubs.
“I actually had that story sent to me.

Cleary: I'm feeling fortunate

Cleary: I'm feeling fortunate
0:41

“It is nice to hear, but it is just a matter of making sure I’m doing my job for the club.”
Yeo’s preference is to remain at Penrith, but he can’t speak highly enough of Barrett’s influence on him as the Panthers’ attack coach.
He credits the former Illawarra, St George Illawarra, and Cronulla playmaker for transforming his game this season.
MORE NRL NEWS
TRANSFERS WHISPERS: Benji lands new club, Dragon reveals fury at club
JUMPED TO CONCLUSIONS: Panthers legend slams Cleary criticism
CRUCIAL: How Storm hero’s epic play cost him NSW debut
“For me, moving to the lock role and not being a ball player until this year, Trent has been tremendous for me,” he said.
“We did so much opposed stuff and repetition. I guess the more you do that kind of stuff, the more confidence you get.
“I was more of an up-and-down player when I first moved to the middle, but Trent has helped me, and he is a big part of why I’m in his (Blues) squad.
“The amount of trust and belief that he puts in his players is outstanding, and he will be a big loss for us.”
As a Dubbo boy, Isaah Yeo grew up idolising Andrew Ryan when he starred for the NSW Blues on the Origin stage. Picture: Phil Hillyard
As a Dubbo boy, Isaah Yeo grew up idolising Andrew Ryan when he starred for the NSW Blues on the Origin stage. Picture: Phil HillyardSource: News Corp Australia
Yeo missed out on the Blues’ final 21-man team for Wednesday’s opening Origin against Queensland in Adelaide, but he feels blessed to be a part of the squad.
He grew up in Dubbo idolising local star Andrew “Bobcat” Ryan, who played 12 Origins for the Blues, and now he has the opportunity to follow in Ryan’s footsteps and don the state’s blue jersey.
“Bobcat was the one that I looked up to being from Dubbo, with all the accolades he achieved,” he said.
MORE NRL NEWS
‘COWARDS’ OR COMMON SENSE? Rugby league reacts to Origin anthem backflip
TEEN DREAM: Suaalii’s huge demands met as Roosters bring in SBW to seal deal
WINNERS AND LOSERS: Who got lucky in NSW and QLD selection
“The grand final wins, State of Origin and Australia. I loved watching him play.
“It is always a goal to be part of something like this, and if you asked me at the start of the year if I would make this squad, I would have thought it was out of reach, particularly after my year last year.”

Storm stars join QLD squad

Storm stars join QLD squad
1:41

Yeo says the Origin camp has also helped him move on from the pain of last week’s grand final loss to Melbourne.
“You can’t be dwelling on stuff in a camp like this when there is so much on the line,” he said.
“And I don’t think you can when you are a part of a group like this.”

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Not exactly a shock. Didn't imagine them letting one of their best players go. The talk about moving was good old fashioned price pumping. I'd rather we spend the cash on a hooker anyway

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
After a year where many of their players really showed their capabilities, many will be getting a lot more attention when contract renewal time arrives.

To be honest, the thing I liked most about the article was that it seems like Barrett is able to give players some faith in their own abilities. I think a lot of our issues came from a lack of confidence over the last few years. We need to shake the players out of that if we're to see the best of them.

Hulk76

Kennel Established
Reaction score
If we can get linked to some of their players and get their prices bumped up, we might snag who we really want.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its not a good look when players come out and reject the offer publicly. Given that we wouldnt have even made an offer I think the club should come out and clarify that. Say something like "He was briefly discussed but we hadnt even talked numbers blah blah blah."

If you look at the tigers lately it gets made public when blokes start rejecting offers to go there. Makes the club look bad

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dogs made Penrith panic and give Yeo a little extra sweetener in the deal. Panthers won't have enough room to fit Burton in their plans now

Chrisaaar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How good would it be being a players agent? Deadset...

1) Find club who had poor year & cash to spend - Check
2) Any of your players coming up to 12 months left on contract and had a decent/good season - Check
3) Start a fake twitter account and spew some rubbish about interest from club in point 1 - Check
4) Write article about fake interest with no quotes from the 'interested' club - Check
5) Pay Rise for Player and yourself - Check
6) Success - Check

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
How good would it be being a players agent? Deadset...

1) Find club who had poor year & cash to spend - Check
2) Any of your players coming up to 12 months left on contract and had a decent/good season - Check
3) Start a fake twitter account and spew some rubbish about interest from club in point 1 - Check
4) Write article about fake interest with no quotes from the 'interested' club - Check
5) Pay Rise for Player and yourself - Check
6) Success - Check
They certainly are a very special breed. Like the spawn of the most dodgy used car salesman and the most full of shit real estate agent around combined