Wounded Dogs ready for battle

Status
Not open for further replies.

rexest

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
BULLDOGS coach Kevin Moore is confident his makeshift team has what it takes to topple Parramatta on Friday night, despite heading into the clash with an injury-ravaged side for the blockbuster clash.
Moore yesterday named what is arguably the Dogs' weakest side this season, with Ben Hannant, Josh Morris, Ben Roberts and Yileen Gordon missing through injury.

Nevertheless, the Bulldogs will be out for revenge against the side that knocked them out of last year's finals in a spectacular semi at ANZ in front of 75,000 fans.

But Moore said his side was focused only on putting together a consistent performance minus their star players.

"We haven't really been concerned by what they're doing, we're only worrying about what we can do," Moore said.

"It's certainly not the situation you want to be in, but that's footy. I have every confidence in the guys we've named to get the job done."

Moore defended his decision to name Blake Green at No. 6 despite elusive utility Ben Barba consistently starring for the club while starting from the bench. He said Brett Kimmorley and Green had continued to show promise in the halves after Green played at five-eighth for 30 minutes in the Dogs' comprehensive 36-18 win over the Broncos.

Despite the growing injury crisis in the Dogs' forward pack, Moore stood by his players saying the inclusion of strongmen Mickey Paea, Jarrad Hickey and Tim Browne could actually strengthen his engine room.

Prop Michael Hodgson said that the depth of Canterbury's injury-plagued forward pack would continue to be tested with Hannant sidelined for a month.

Hodgson made a surprise return from a knee injury on Friday night, boosting the Bulldogs' firepower up front.

"Our depth is certainly going to be tested," Hodgson said.

"He [Hannant] does a lot of quality work for our side but you lose key members of your team and you've got to shoulder their load. But as the old saying goes, no one is irreplaceable."

Stepping up to fill the holes in their forward ranks are Chris Armit and Browne, who made his NRL debut this season and will play off the bench against the Eels.

Former Penrith flyer Junior Tia-Kilifi will make his debut for the Bulldogs as Morris's replacement in the centres, while Hickey has been promoted to first grade after consecutive man-of-the-match performances in the NSW Cup.

Lol @ hickey haters that say ANYONE OTHER THEN HICKEY, he is obviously performing better then any other prop in the reggies if his taken 2 mom awards in a row

NuffSed

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Just because he got motm in a crappy league doesn't mean all of a sudden he's a great player. He still can't move sideways and Mortimer, Keating and Hayne are going to have a field day running around him.

rexest

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Just because he got motm in a crappy league doesn't mean all of a sudden he's a great player. He still can't move sideways and Mortimer, Keating and Hayne are going to have a field day running around him.
Dude it means his doing much better then our other props that play in that **** league, Which makes him our best option atm.

Gabs

Dumbfounded
Reaction score
Not sure why he got MOM last week. I watched that game and he was ok without setting the world on fire. Romelo and Nathan Smith were more influential in the game. Hickey was solid and scored a try. He played about 55 minutes, roughly. I thought Danny Williams was better but no doubt the Coaches know a lot more than I.

BulldogStar

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
im laughing that anyone could think Hickey is the best option we have

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
So if Trent Cutler wins 3 man of the match awards in a row in Reserves while playing in the halves does that mean he's a better option in FG than Green or Barba when we're replacing Roberts?

Last year Danny Williams won man of the match award after man of the match award in Reserves. Yet he played a handful of games in FG even when we had injuries. Why? Because he isn't good enough for FG.

And neither is Hickey. He's a liability out there.

bulldogs27

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm confident with our preparations and The Bulldogs
chosen for this encounter.
Congratulations for Kev and His Team.

matthew

Kennel Established
Reaction score
i hope Kevin lets browne play more minutes than hickey

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Why isn't he showing his MOM performances in First Grade then?? That's the problem. Players that might have half the strength he does would show a lot more heart in First Grade.

It's like he gets nervous when he jumps into First Grade. He gets dumped and hammered by midgets like Isaac Luke who are half his size. ****ing disgraceful.

Hickey aside, and hoping he has a blinder (wishful thinking) - I'm pumped for Friday night!

jimmy_the_greek

Bulldogs Fanatic
Reaction score
Hopefully we come out firing friday night, we are going to have to otherwise it will be a long night for us. Hickey man of the match? that unfortunately doesn't look good for the other players in NSW cup lol...unless Hickey finally woke up to himself.

Kratos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am going to play the devils advocate here, but before I do just let it be known that I don't rate Hickey at all and think he is a liability as well.

I think Hickey can be an advantage rather then a disadvantage, as long as he is used correctly. Give him a few 5 to 10 minute stints off the Bench, at the start of each half and another if we score just before the end of the first half. The problem you get is if you leave him on for extended periods. It's obvious he has no stamina, but he is a big boy, just let him take some impact out of their forwards, soften them up a bit and them come off.

He starts being a liability when we don't have the footy, so we have to keep posession and just use him sparingly.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
he wont soften their forwards up, more likely he would get softened after his first hit

he is just way too slow. Needs some speed in his game to bend the line

Last edited by a moderator:

Costaki10

Bulldogs Army
Reaction score
just because he wins a mom award in nsw cup i dont think that is enough to get a first grade spot.

he has had chance after chance to prove himself in first grade and still has done **** all.

S4Sonny

Ooh Ahh Cantona
Reaction score
Hickey must perform... I honestly don't know how many chances we've given him..

rexest

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
To all who think his not our best option atm with all the injurys please name the prop that you rather be playing in his place this week? I see alot of comments bagging him but not one saying who deserves a spot over him atm.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
we dont need him on the bench Steve, we could have gone for a more mobile 2nd rower from NSW Cup.

We already have Paea and Browne on the bench who are already suited to that department. I know Paea is in our team as a 2nd rower, however he has played at prop in the past, and easily is strong enough to play that role.

Don't really think there would have been any harm in picking Harrison or Jake Foster to come on in the 2nd half

S4Sonny

Ooh Ahh Cantona
Reaction score
We could of had Pain Train..............

Tha DoggFather

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Whats the average mins played by Hickey? I really see him a waste of a bench spot

Status
Not open for further replies.