Woolies vs Coles, the supermarket wars: Australia Day edition

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Look how happy they are, warms the heart.
This is what being Australian is all about View attachment 101028
My stance has always been the same:

- If people want the date moved, that's fine. If it actually causes problems for some Indigenous Australians, then just move the date. It won't cause problems for anyone other than some full on racists who just want to hard line it

- If people want to celebrate Australia Day, then that's also fine. I personally will be celebrating Australia Day. I support moving the date, but regardless of the date, I'll still celebrate 'cause I'm Australian

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Also, if a supermarket wants to stop selling Australia Day Flags, I'm not going to boycott them because I'm not a dickhead. Woolworths raised prices, while also making record profits, all while cost of living is making it hard for many Australians to feed their families. There's much better reasons to boycott supermarkets than not selling Australia Day Merch.

BTW, none of this will stop me shopping at Woolies, Coles or Aldi. Or any other supermarket. I'm going to buy from whichever one sells it cheaper. And I'm not going to buy a small Australian flag 'cause the only thing I'm doing is making supermarket corporates more rich.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
My stance has always been the same:

- If people want the date moved, that's fine. If it actually causes problems for some Indigenous Australians, then just move the date. It won't cause problems for anyone other than some full on racists who just want to hard line it

- If people want to celebrate Australia Day, then that's also fine. I personally will be celebrating Australia Day. I support moving the date, but regardless of the date, I'll still celebrate 'cause I'm Australian
Absolutely spot on mate
I share that view.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
There are some good pro Australians meme getting around
This is one I particularly liked.

View attachment 101025
I like the sentiment, but Born of Convicts are some of the dickheads I was talking about. They are a husband and wife group that market their merchandise on the back of, "Never change the date"

They can talk unity all they like, but if the entire Aboriginal population asked them to change the date, they still wouldn't.

Personally I think Change the Date should be a referendum style vote, but only Aboriginals are allowed to vote on it. If Aboriginals are saying that they're offended by the date, then they can vote. If enough are offended then just change the date. If less than 50% Aboriginals want the date changed, then we can end this debate and stick to Jan 26.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I’ve said this in posts over the years. Been here now, over 10 years. I have indigenous kids, hence married an indigenous women.. There path is there path. The whole indigenous side of my family support and celebrate Australia Day. IMO it seems the poor Nigel no friends white person carrying on. Regardless enjoy ur day, shopping, whatever it is. As I’m sure my family will, with no debates at all.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I’ve said this in posts over the years. Been here now, over 10 years. I have indigenous kids, hence married an indigenous women.. There path is there path. The whole indigenous side of my family support and celebrate Australia Day. IMO it seems the poor Nigel no friends white person carrying on. Regardless enjoy ur day, shopping, whatever it is. As I’m sure my family will, with no debates at all.
I agre with the latter part.

The last major survey carried out among Aboriginals found that 60% of Indigenous supported changing the date. And if you look at the images of any Change the Date march, you see that a large portion are Aboriginal. Which is odd considering how low the Aboriginal population is compared to non-Aboriginals.

But the ones sacrificing their happiness to appease the masses are generally white kids. Even if you're not proud of Australia, be proud that you have a public holiday where you can celebrate the taste of lamb.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
So much positive stuff out there, so much to love, beats arguing that's for sure
Screenshot_20240125_215208_Facebook.jpg

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Interesting thing. A bloke I used to work with, worked as an investment banker a long time ago. He picked up INXS as clients. At the time INXS were getting too much money coming in, so they were looking for basic tax write offs. They decided to invest in Australian movies that had no hope of succeeding so they could write it off. The majority of their investment went into a pitch for a movie called, "Crocodile Dundee"

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Interesting thing. A bloke I used to work with, worked as an investment banker a long time ago. He picked up INXS as clients. At the time INXS were getting too much money coming in, so they were looking for basic tax write offs. They decided to invest in Australian movies that had no hope of succeeding so they could write it off. The majority of their investment went into a pitch for a movie called, "Crocodile Dundee"
Australia is the lucky country

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
OK last one, haha.
This one is my favourite,

come on, seriously guys what's not to love
Screenshot_20240125_221906_Facebook.jpg

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Woolworths is always better than Coles anyway, its still Australia and no better excuse to sink a few, be Aussies and not over politicize the subject.
Its supposed to be a celebration so lets just appreciate the public holiday.

Trinfly

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the sentiment, but Born of Convicts are some of the dickheads I was talking about. They are a husband and wife group that market their merchandise on the back of, "Never change the date"

They can talk unity all they like, but if the entire Aboriginal population asked them to change the date, they still wouldn't.

Personally I think Change the Date should be a referendum style vote, but only Aboriginals are allowed to vote on it. If Aboriginals are saying that they're offended by the date, then they can vote. If enough are offended then just change the date. If less than 50% Aboriginals want the date changed, then we can end this debate and stick to Jan 26.
Another referendum .. you just want the OT

Trinfly

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know if that's true. We should hold a referendum to see if people agree with you.
I should clarify OT meant "over time" for you on TK. However I think another referendum would only divide once again last one was enough.