Wooden spoon battle (unacceptable)

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm with you @Nate DAWG . I remember when Gus went to Penrith and promised a premiership in 5. He missed that goal, but they've had 2 in 10. I'd take that.

As for players, where to start? We cut Jack Cogger and I was spewing then, seeing his potential. But we didn't have the coaches or administration to keep him. Imagine him settled at 7 all these years?! Ciraldo is no bennet, but I think in the fullness of time, we'll see he earned his stripes here. Injuries have been bad, particularly in the forwards and that's exposed our halves more than might have been behind a better pack.

The big thing for me this season is we're now, most weeks, playing to the bell and winning against the run of play. On the flip side, I underestimated the size of the clean out that's needed. I think barely half the current top30 should be offered new contracts.
It’s a big job ahead, imagine if we’ve didn’t have Gus.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
it’s not compulsory to be a supporter. Gus is signing some great young kids and has/will recruit some experience and talent around them. We have had an injury ravaged year. Kiraz and King are clearly injured but playing through. I get as upset as anyone when we play poor but will never give up on the club.
This!! On pointe!

We all want instant success, but reality is reality, the seeds planted will take a year or two to reap the true benefits at NRL level, we’re already killing it in Cup and the junior grades, haven’t done that in years. Kiks comes back and Crichton arrives… they will def have another couple of solid signings before the end of the year… I think the cheque book comes out big time for 2025 where most big names become available - that’s just smart cap management.

Moey91

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They raise my fkn blood pressure but still believe we can avoid it.

Dogmonster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Waddell is making king, moron and Edwards look like puss, i couldn't stand him but he is having more of a go than the other 3 and not to mention the pommy backpacker who never plays.

justdogs

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
It looks like we will be fighting for the spoon again.. this is totally unacceptable… when we copped it a few years ago we couldn’t get any lower because we ran ourselves into the ground lower than rock bottom,we couldn’t imagine this happening again.. a few years later and now we look to be fighting to avoid again.. how are we still in the same position a few years later after a number of changes have been made… Gould can go get fucked, only here for his retirement money
WE ARE FINISHED AS A CLUB
Sometime I don't know if I need to laugh or cry reading TK

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
If we are finished as a club then why are you posting on a club supporter page when you said that this club is finished as a club ?

If this club is finished then go find a club that isn’t finished and go post your dribble on that’s clubs supporter page.
Just last week he said he ‘couldn’t take it anymore’ yet another week, another dribble thread. That’s @AlzzBulldog for you, some things never change :-).

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
One of the dumbest things i have heard. He has signed us Mahoney, Kikau, Xerri, Chrichton to name just a few, since he arrived. What the fuck more do you expect from him?? Retirement fund? Fucking lol. This guy works harder then anyone at the club.
Yep. Not to mention it’s all about pathways and long term sustained success and has been since Gus arrived. He said it in his first public remarks after joining. Our Cup team is coming first with a 9/3 and strong F/A position and we have some really good kids coming through but because there’s no immediate NRL success apparently Gus is just here to top up his superannuation and can foxtrot oscar. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: thank God @AlzzBulldog has nothing to do with the running of the club…

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yep. Not to mention it’s all about pathways and long term sustained success and has been since Gus arrived. He said it in his first public remarks after joining. Our Cup team is coming first with a 9/3 and strong F/A position and we have some really good kids coming through but because there’s no immediate NRL success apparently Gus is just here to top up his superannuation and can foxtrot oscar. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: thank God @AlzzBulldog has nothing to do with the running of the club…
Our cup team is always winning even before gus... try again

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree with everything you said but he also needs to strengthen the grade team for immediate results. This is a results base entertainment business. You can’t expect fans to pay money to watch dickheads run out who can’t even compete. He has been here long enough to know our issues with 7 and forward pack and just keeps signing fringe first graders. You can’t keep signing players and fluke one like preston and look good. We should have gone for klemmer, Hastings, anyone who has moved to other teams who we need. But no gus almighty wants us to have patience! WhT if these players in lower grades don’t live up to their hype? We are back at square one.

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh and to continue on what I’m saying, you can’t keep using the excuse you’re rebuilding and lower grades bla bla bla. The issue with that is even if you have a couple of gun young guns you can’t inject them in a grade squad who’s always languishing bottom of the ladder. It’ll stall their development. Look at all the young guns coming from nsw cup playing grade. None have set the world on fire cause we are getting dominated across the park in grade. How do you rebuild when you can’t give the younger guys experience with a winning culture. It doesn’t add up and Gus’s stupid patience excuse is getting old.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Agree with everything you said but he also needs to strengthen the grade team for immediate results. This is a results base entertainment business. You can’t expect fans to pay money to watch dickheads run out who can’t even compete. He has been here long enough to know our issues with 7 and forward pack and just keeps signing fringe first graders. You can’t keep signing players and fluke one like preston and look good. We should have gone for klemmer, Hastings, anyone who has moved to other teams who we need. But no gus almighty wants us to have patience! WhT if these players in lower grades don’t live up to their hype? We are back at square one.
There’s little point in going for guys at the back of of their careers. Hastings went to the Knights because the Tigers got Klemmer. I wouldn’t have done that deal, especially when Flanagan was still on book (that’s where KO made sense) and we’re stacked with expensive forwards like Thompson, Kikau, RFM, TPJ etc who have all had extended stints out this year. Our injury toll has exacerbated our woes this season - without that I’m sure we would’ve won more games. Patience is hard and no doubt we’ve had some setbacks with some player, coach and high performance staff that didn’t work out. I’d give Gus a pass mark so far and any talk of the club being finished or him needing to go is emotional dribble.

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Our cup team is always winning even before gus... try again
So do you prefer your mate: Donald Trump to be the one to run the club? Or perhaps the Andersons could be reinstated? Considering Gus isn't doing a "good" job in your eyes.

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There’s little point in going for guys at the back of of their careers. Hastings went to the Knights because the Tigers got Klemmer. I wouldn’t have done that deal, especially when Flanagan was still on book (that’s where KO made sense) and we’re stacked with expensive forwards like Thompson, Kikau, RFM, TPJ etc who have all had extended stints out this year. Our injury toll has exacerbated our woes this season - without that I’m sure we would’ve won more games. Patience is hard and no doubt we’ve had some setbacks with some player, coach and high performance staff that didn’t work out. I’d give Gus a pass mark so far and any talk of the club being finished or him needing to go is emotional dribble.
Na I don’t think gus needs to go. Who the hell do we replace him with. If he can’t do it then no one can but all I’m saying is that if us fans can see obvious flaws in our roster which hasn’t been looked at in years then I’m sure they can also. It’s just that nothing is getting done. We keep signing outside backs which we don’t need. I also don’t know who’s idea it was to swap Burton to 7 which he clearly isn’t. We had success in avo in the back but they persist to put Perham at the back. It’s calls like this that make me question gus and Cc. How does any of that help the team and success? Anyway hope we all get egg on our face and we string some wins but I just can’t see it

Eesma

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Bro I think we are finished.. Gus getting his retirement money from us
THE SKY IS FALLING, THE SKY IS FALLING.

Y'all have some short-ass memories. Go back to 2011, when Gus joined Penrith. They had made the top eight once in the previous 7 years and that once was a serious outlier in their consistency. It took 3 years for them to get back in to the top eight after Gus joined, 5 years to start doing it consistently and 9 years before they won a GF.

It takes years to un-fuck a club. The massive injury toll this year set things back even more, not only in the results of games but the resulting losses have clearly impacted confidence, too. Yeah, we might get the spoon this year. We might even get the spoon next year, too. Fans want immediate results but the reality is that trying to force immediate results is often not in the best interest of the club.

We have some shithouse players, we can all agree. Part of that is down to poor availability in the market and part is down to the club neglecting its pathways for a long time. The important part is that the pathways are being fixed. We've already got a few good eggs coming through and that will continue to improve in coming years.
5-10 years from now, there won't be any discussions like, "If we can't sign Hunt (a 33 year old half from the last place team), we're fucked." We'll have home grown talent. It's just not going to happen overnight. Anyone who can't wait should just go jump on another club's bandwagon.

chemdog

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'm just gonna say it, it's gonna take a little bit longer until we get out of this mess and get the roster needed to win games and get us back into the top 8 where we belong

Azoabi7

Waterboy
Reaction score
You guys need to relax. Kikau, Thompson & TPJ combined are worth over $2million of our cap. 2 of the 3 are injured and TPJ isn’t justifying his price tag yet. So sick of people going wild after a win and then thrashing the team after a loss. It’s a process.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If Sunday is game day this has been our most common pattern..

Monday>Sad
Tuesday>Teamlist madness
Wednesday/Thursday> Discuss this weeks game and our battle to avoid the spoon
Friday> dare to dream we might be competitive
Saturday> convince ourselves we can win this because...?
Sunday> LETS GO YOU FUCKERS DOGS TO WIN 13+
SUNDAY NIGHT> Sad or Happy Drunk..(normally sad..)
Monday> Repeat.

Our very own Grounddog day.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Na I don’t think gus needs to go. Who the hell do we replace him with. If he can’t do it then no one can but all I’m saying is that if us fans can see obvious flaws in our roster which hasn’t been looked at in years then I’m sure they can also. It’s just that nothing is getting done. We keep signing outside backs which we don’t need. I also don’t know who’s idea it was to swap Burton to 7 which he clearly isn’t. We had success in avo in the back but they persist to put Perham at the back. It’s calls like this that make me question gus and Cc. How does any of that help the team and success? Anyway hope we all get egg on our face and we string some wins but I just can’t see it
I know you didn’t call for him to go mate (and we know who did). I don’t agree however the roster flaws haven’t been looked at - in fact I think it’s the opposite, just perhaps some of the thinking isn’t clear yet. Backs wise it seems Critta is destined for fullback so Hayze is temporary. Avo was OK there early on but after he got Covid seemed to lose confidence that never returned. Ciro seems determined to make him a centre, where does that perhaps leave Alamoti? Bottom line is there must be a plan and they wouldn’t have signed Critta and Xerri for shits and giggles. Yeah we all see Burto isn’t a 7 but again must be temporary - Flanagan will go at seasons end and by then Karl has 20 games under his belt. Inevitable forwards changes coming too with who’s off contract. At the end of the day it’s not a perfect science when you’re managing potential, injury and cap and things will go wrong. But we just need better luck at the moment over better management.